Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

Default help with pioneer fault codes plz?

Look inside at the mechanism when the operation is supposed to start. Is the
motor pulley rotating? Often the motor rotates but the flywheels don't turn
because the belt(s) is somewhat slack. The flywheels are supposed to turn
gears which lift the mech into place, therefore if a belt slips, the mech
locks up, and you get the clicking as the unit keeps re-trying to load.

Alternatively, the motor might be bad - same symptom. Sometimes if the motor
has shorted there will also be an open resistor in the power supply.

Mark Z.

Thanks Mark,
Belts seem fine, lots of stuff turning... apart from the tape spool
drives. I can't turn these by hand, so I assume they are locked until
everything alse moves into place... and that isn't quite happening.
From what you said, it looks like a broken/worn-out part jamming the
mechanism. I'll look into it some more.

Cheers,

Dave.