Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Default help with pioneer fault codes plz?

"Dave" wrote in message

"Cliff Top" wrote in message
Not sure if it'll be a fault code. Usually if a belt is slipping and
doesn't shift the mechanism from mode to mode quick enough, the micro
will
detect the 'error' condition.
Its also worth checking the switches along the top edge of the cassette
since corroded contacts/ contact bounce will also cause problems

AW

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:55:06 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

I agree - belts the most likely problem.

Mark Z.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I checked the switches and they seem fine.
The belts, (of which I only see 1 per deck) seem fine too. The pinch
roller moves into position, capstan rotates, BUT the spool drive
sprockets(?) are locked in position and do not rotate.
I'm struggling to recall whether both decks finally failed at exactly
the same time, but I do remember a gradual overall failure.
ie. click click clickety play! click click clickety No-play

Any more ideas?

Look inside at the mechanism when the operation is supposed to start. Is the
motor pulley rotating? Often the motor rotates but the flywheels don't turn
because the belt(s) is somewhat slack. The flywheels are supposed to turn
gears which lift the mech into place, therefore if a belt slips, the mech
locks up, and you get the clicking as the unit keeps re-trying to load.

Alternatively, the motor might be bad - same symptom. Sometimes if the motor
has shorted there will also be an open resistor in the power supply.

Mark Z.