Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Sam Nickaby

Default Solving high pitch noise from dimmer.

I'd been having a hard time sleeping because the dimmer I use on a
lamp for a night light whistles or makes a very high pitch, continuous
noise like a Cicada. I then move the dimmer to another location but
the sound is still there. When I face the wall during sleep the sound gets
louder. I have tinnitus so it's very hard to distinguish the two sounds
until I sleep with ear muffs. I will get rid of this problem but I haven't
found a solution since I lack sleep and not in my right mind. What are
some repair solution or products I can use to dim night lights?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Mr Fixit

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
. com...
I'd been having a hard time sleeping because the dimmer I use on a
lamp for a night light whistles or makes a very high pitch, continuous
noise like a Cicada. I then move the dimmer to another location but
the sound is still there. When I face the wall during sleep the sound gets
louder. I have tinnitus so it's very hard to distinguish the two sounds
until I sleep with ear muffs. I will get rid of this problem but I haven't
found a solution since I lack sleep and not in my right mind. What are
some repair solution or products I can use to dim night lights?

Thanks

plug in night lights???

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Sam Nickaby wrote:
I'd been having a hard time sleeping because the dimmer I use on a
lamp for a night light whistles or makes a very high pitch, continuous
noise like a Cicada. I then move the dimmer to another location but
the sound is still there. When I face the wall during sleep the sound gets
louder. I have tinnitus so it's very hard to distinguish the two sounds
until I sleep with ear muffs. I will get rid of this problem but I haven't
found a solution since I lack sleep and not in my right mind. What are
some repair solution or products I can use to dim night lights?

Thanks

About the only thing I can think of that would whistle is the filter
inductor inside. You might be able to coat it in varnish to keep it from
vibrating.
Junior Member

The Dimmer probably uses PWM or is a equivalent switched mode power supply, unless it has a pretty large transformer on it. As the name of this circuit topology suggests the current is switched on and off very quickly with different mark:space ratios to give you a varying output current. The switching for these units is typically high in the region of 1kHZ or more, therefore the noise is actually generated from the switching itself, and it is inherent in the design.

I would suggest moving the dimmer further away if possible or trying another type/make.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:26:16 GMT, "Sam Nickaby" wrote:

I'd been having a hard time sleeping because the dimmer I use on a
lamp for a night light whistles or makes a very high pitch, continuous
noise like a Cicada. I then move the dimmer to another location but
the sound is still there. When I face the wall during sleep the sound gets
louder. I have tinnitus so it's very hard to distinguish the two sounds
until I sleep with ear muffs. I will get rid of this problem but I haven't
found a solution since I lack sleep and not in my right mind. What are
some repair solution or products I can use to dim night lights?

Thanks

Are you sure it's not the light bulbs that are making the noise, not
the dimmer? I've noticed that certain bulbs will make a noise when
dimmed, but others are completely silent. Try a different brand of
bulbs.

Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Rich Grise

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:26:16 +0000, Sam Nickaby wrote:

I'd been having a hard time sleeping because the dimmer I use on a
lamp for a night light whistles or makes a very high pitch, continuous
noise like a Cicada. I then move the dimmer to another location but
the sound is still there. When I face the wall during sleep the sound gets
louder. I have tinnitus so it's very hard to distinguish the two sounds
until I sleep with ear muffs. I will get rid of this problem but I haven't
found a solution since I lack sleep and not in my right mind. What are
some repair solution or products I can use to dim night lights?

Thanks

Buy a night light that doesn't need a dimmer.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

subseb wrote:
The Dimmer probably uses PWM or is a equivalent switched mode power
supply, unless it has a pretty large transformer on it. As the name of
this circuit topology suggests the current is switched on and off very
quickly with different mark:space ratios to give you a varying output
current. The switching for these units is typically high in the region
of 1kHZ or more, therefore the noise is actually generated from the
switching itself, and it is inherent in the design.

I would suggest moving the dimmer further away if possible or trying
another type/make.

It's not high frequency PWM, standard light dimmers vary the point in
each half cycle at which the triac turns on and completes the circuit.
This switching occurs at line frequency.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
JANA

Try another make of dimmer. Sometimes, some models may make some noise from
their switching effect. The lamp can sometimes also produce noise.

The other solution is to get one of these small plug-in night lamps. They
are dim, and don't require any wall dimmer for them.

--

JANA
_____

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
. com...
I'd been having a hard time sleeping because the dimmer I use on a
lamp for a night light whistles or makes a very high pitch, continuous
noise like a Cicada. I then move the dimmer to another location but
the sound is still there. When I face the wall during sleep the sound gets
louder. I have tinnitus so it's very hard to distinguish the two sounds
until I sleep with ear muffs. I will get rid of this problem but I haven't
found a solution since I lack sleep and not in my right mind. What are
some repair solution or products I can use to dim night lights?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Hans

Hi, I had the same problem with my lamp in the living room. This lamp
has the dimmer built into the cable and the switch/dial was remote. I
just wraped the dimmer into some old thick cloth, which perfectly
absorbed the noise. If you do the same trick, make sure the dimmer does
not get too hot, to prevent fire.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Chris

Sam Nickaby wrote:
I'd been having a hard time sleeping because the dimmer I use on a
lamp for a night light whistles or makes a very high pitch, continuous
noise like a Cicada. I then move the dimmer to another location but
the sound is still there. When I face the wall during sleep the sound gets
louder. I have tinnitus so it's very hard to distinguish the two sounds
until I sleep with ear muffs. I will get rid of this problem but I haven't
found a solution since I lack sleep and not in my right mind. What are
some repair solution or products I can use to dim night lights?

Thanks

Hi, Sam. Sorry about the tinnitus. If you view in in terms of
productive capacity lost, tinnitus is one of the most costly diseases
to the American economy (over a million Americans have it badly enough
to be at least partially disabled, and most of those are adults who
could otherwise lead productive lives), and a lot more research could
be done to work towards a cure.

The high frequency sound is almost certainly coming from the bulb
itself rather than the dimmer. The filament and filament mount on many
bulbs are mechanically resonant at a multiple of line frequency.

The easiest thing to try is getting a different (usually a more
expensive) brand of light bulb. More expensive ones are typically
better-made, and seem to be more resistant to this effect. You can
also slow down the turn-on of the triac in the middle of the AC cycle,
to mimimize or stop this effect. In days of yore, triacs all had soft
turn-ons, and this was less of a problem. Since you can't change the
triac, you can also accomplish this by putting a small choke in series
with the line. Lutron makes these, but I'm not sure you want to play
with the electrical wiring. Either that, or get a different dimmer
that has that protection built-in (quite a bit more expensive).

To get a little more sleep at night, you might want to try one of those
"white noise generators" that make sounds like rain or waves. They're
sold separately as stand alone desktop models, and are also built into
some better alarm clocks. A friend of mine found that helped him for
some time. Try to get one that has an external connection for speakers
or headphones. That will give you more options.

If you're trying to find and isolate high-frequency sounds that are
bugging you in order to minimize their effect on your life, you might
want to buy, beg or borrow an old medical stethoscope, or use an
automotive one (that has the horn funnel at the end).

Good luck, and let's keep hoping for a cure! Anyone who's interested
in more information can check out:

http://www.ata.org/

Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Art

Good Info Chris: Been enduring the ringing -both ears - for longer that I
can remember, plus the hypertussis thing which aggravates hearing one
specific person when in a group, or in lots of ambient noises.
On the right track with more expensive light bulbs to minimize the
resonance.
The White noise generators do help, to do a test, just use an AM radio,
tuned off station to static, adjust for comfortable volume setting.

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sam Nickaby wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

frischmoutt wrote:
No, this is the movement of the EMI suppressor inductor sheets sumitted to
the electromagnetic field generated by the 50 or 60 Hz and the triac
switching harmonics.

Nothing to do easily.
The inductor needs to be impregnated with Rustol under vacuum to ease the
penetratration deep beetween the sheets.

The inductors in dimmers I've seen are only one layer, a quick dip in a
can of varnish should be all it takes.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
spudnuty

Art wrote:
Good Info Chris: Been enduring the ringing -both ears - for longer that I
can remember, plus the hypertussis thing which aggravates hearing one
specific person when in a group, or in lots of ambient noises.
On the right track with more expensive light bulbs to minimize the
resonance.
The White noise generators do help, to do a test, just use an AM radio,
tuned off station to static, adjust for comfortable volume setting.

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sam Nickaby wrote:
[...]

I do relaxation and massage therapy and have had many clients with
sleep issues. Lack of sleep or inadequate sleep can be a major factor
in many physical problems. I had a client with tinnitus that went away
after she had a few weeks of good sleep. Have you tried sleeping
without a light? Not meaning to be trivial about this but there have
been studies that show melatonin levels are lower in people who sleep
with a light on. There may also be some underlying issues there. I
personally cannot sleep with a light on and I have a tiny keyboard
light because my desk lamp bothers my wife when I'm working late at
night.
As to the noise I think that the other posters have covered that quite
well.
Richard

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

spudnuty wrote:
Art wrote:
Good Info Chris: Been enduring the ringing -both ears - for longer

that I
can remember, plus the hypertussis thing which aggravates hearing

one
specific person when in a group, or in lots of ambient noises.
On the right track with more expensive light bulbs to minimize

the
resonance.
The White noise generators do help, to do a test, just use an AM

radio,
tuned off station to static, adjust for comfortable volume

setting.
"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sam Nickaby wrote:
I'd been having a hard time sleeping because the dimmer I use

on a
lamp for a night light whistles or makes a very high pitch,

continuous
noise like a Cicada. I then move the dimmer to another location

but
the sound is still there. When I face the wall during sleep the

sound
gets
louder. I have tinnitus so it's very hard to distinguish the

two sounds
until I sleep with ear muffs. I will get rid of this problem

but I
haven't
found a solution since I lack sleep and not in my right mind.

What are
some repair solution or products I can use to dim night lights?

snip

Variac. Superb fade up/down.
GG