N Cook

Default UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Once this is in a semi-final form, I'd like to add it to the S.E.R. FAQ

(with
your permission).

Thanks.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is

Another related file is
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/abbrev.htm
abbreviations as found in audio and video repair manuals

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Ray L. Volts

"N Cook" wrote in message
"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

While at it is there any concensus with connector parts and male and
female
/ plug and socket.
Does the gender refer to the electrical pin connection parts or the

outer
housing parts
when they are not the same gender for each piece?

Pretty much a consensus. For obvious reasons, Male = plug and Female =
socket (usually called 'jack' in USA).

If the housing is male but the electical connection is female and the
mating
housing is female and corresponding electrical part is male which part
would
be refered to as male and which female.

We refer to the pins/receptacles, w/o regard to the casing/housing.
If it has a pin, it's male. If it has a hole the pin goes into, it's
female.
A good example of this is the F connector. The housing with the hole
(external threads) is male, while the female housing (internal threads) has
the pin -- the one with the pin/wire is the male connector.

If the connector has no "pins", but rather "tongues" or "fingers" (as with a
Centronics parallel connector), the connector with the protruding fingers
tab is male, the connector with the depression (receptacle) is female.

Now, in the case of a connector which has both a pin and a hole (or
multiples in various configurations), that's a tough call. Though uncommon,
I have run into a few of these in the past. Maybe we could call that an
ambiguous connector.
Anyone else have the correct terminology for this type?

Do I hear you correctly that in USA the receiving female part is called a
Jack ?

Yep. The notable exception being ac wall wiring -- we call that receptacle
an outlet or socket. I never hear wall outlets referred to as jacks. Note
that I said _wall_ wiring. If we are using an extension cord, any of the
three terms will be used for the female end -- outlet, socket or jack.
Strange, but true. Then again, I'm in Texas. There may be (probably will
be) a difference of opinion up north in yank country.

Ray L. Volts

"N Cook" wrote in message
"kip" wrote in message
.. .
yes

"N Cook" wrote in message

"kip" wrote in message
.. .
IHVT (Flyback Transformer) =

do you mean LOPT ?

LOPT = Line Output Transformer pronounced comfortably as Lop-tee

....have also seen it as IFBT = Integrated FlyBack Transformer

Ray L. Volts

"N Cook" wrote in message
revised list
UK term : USA term

banana plugs : ?

same

choc block connectors : ?

European-style terminal strip (distinguished from a regular terminal strip
by its recessed screws)

Harwin connectors : ?

dunno which u had in mind, as they make a bunch of different types..
http://www.mouser.com/harwin/

plug in power supply : wall wart

I never hear it called that in the South; it's always an "ac adapter"

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
N Cook wrote:
I'm thinking of the Bulgin power connectors used on valve/tube amps
where the chassis housing is female but has 3 pins mating with 3 sockets
in a male housing on the line cord - is the line cord connector called a
plug or a socket ?

You go by the pins. Unless, of course, it's an XLR LNE.

--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

N Cook

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

[...]

Just as well big G didn't have this problem.

Anyone else have the correct terminology for this type?

hermaphroditic ?

N Cook

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
revised list
UK term : USA term

banana plugs : ?

same

choc block connectors : ?

European-style terminal strip (distinguished from a regular terminal strip
by its recessed screws)

Harwin connectors : ?

dunno which u had in mind, as they make a bunch of different types..
http://www.mouser.com/harwin/

plug in power supply : wall wart

I never hear it called that in the South; it's always an "ac adapter"

These sorts of interboard cheap and cheerfull basic connectors
often in reddish brown housings would generically be called "Harwin"
http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/su...00779854&cache
ID=ukie

Ray L. Volts

"N Cook" wrote in message
"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

Now, in the case of a connector which has both a pin and a hole (or
multiples in various configurations), that's a tough call. Though

uncommon,
I have run into a few of these in the past. Maybe we could call that an
ambiguous connector.

Anyone else have the correct terminology for this type?

hermaphroditic ?

When I hear that, I have one of these in mind:

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/c/is_0-8mm_bd-bd.pdf

The unusual type I referred to earlier actually had pins and holes on the
same side, in a cylindrical housing. It's been so long since I've
encountered them, I don't even remember what they were called.

Dave D

"sofie" wrote in message
Buddy:
You are correct.... math is math any where in the universe......

It's not that simple. Billion did indeed mean a million million here in the
UK years ago.

Another case of differing measurements is US v UK gallons. A UK gallon =
1.201 US gallons.

Dave

Buddy Smith

Dave D wrote:

Another case of differing measurements is US v UK gallons. A UK gallon =
1.201 US gallons.

I believe this comes from the fact that a "US" pint is 2 cups, 16 oz,
whereas an "imperial" pint is 20 oz. And the rest are the same (ie, 1
quart is still 2 pints, one gallon is 4 quarts, etc).

To the OP: I think you had "imperial" meaning "metric" in your list, but
in the US, "imperial" means british, ie "imperial gallon" or "imperial
pound" etc.

ttyl,

--buddy

Mark Zenier

In article , N Cook wrote:
revised list
UK term : USA term

Vero board : perf board (often with no circuit traces), Vector board

Million: Million
Milliard: Billion (obselete)
Billion: Trillion (obselete)

Mark Zenier
Ray L. Volts

"N Cook" wrote in message

These sorts of interboard cheap and cheerfull basic connectors
often in reddish brown housings would generically be called "Harwin"
http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/su...00779854&cache
ID=ukie

Here, they are widely known generically as "amp" (Tyco) connectors -- see
the CST II housings in the link below.
The 3-pin power connector is widely recognized simply as a pc fan connector.
The 6-pin version is recognized as an AT-style motherboard power connector
(2 per board).

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/T...7760&LG=1&I=13

4wd

Ray L. Volts wrote:
"N Cook" wrote in message
"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message
Now, in the case of a connector which has both a pin and a hole (or
multiples in various configurations), that's a tough call. Though

uncommon,
I have run into a few of these in the past. Maybe we could call that an
ambiguous connector.

Anyone else have the correct terminology for this type?

hermaphroditic ?

When I hear that, I have one of these in mind:

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/c/is_0-8mm_bd-bd.pdf

The unusual type I referred to earlier actually had pins and holes on the
same side, in a cylindrical housing. It's been so long since I've
encountered them, I don't even remember what they were called.

My vote is 'polarised', ('polarized' for yanks

But of course that also covers male/female.

Personally I'd lump the following together:

UK & US - imperial (linear measurements, ie. inches,feet,yards,miles)
Rest of world - Metric (except for some bastions of Imperial Colonisation)

Dave
4wd

N Cook wrote:
revised list
UK term : USA term

Avo (meter) , [old analogue multimeter ] : VTVM (vacuum tube voltmeter;
usually line-powered) or a VOM (volt-ohmmeter; usually battery-powered)

Wouldn't the AVO apply specifically to a product rather than any old
analog meter?

I ask because I do have an AVO here, (Australia - they are reasonably
common), but general term is just an analog meter unless you get more
specific.

engineer's persuader for percussive maintenance : knockometer

SOP #1

flex : electric cord
Gilbows : tinsnips

This would have to be another trade name, they're just tinsnips in Oz.

power point : electric socket

GPO (general power outlet)

Vero board : matrix board

Aren't these two different things?

Here in Oz, Vero, (another trade name IIRC), board is matrix board with
copper connection strips on one side.

Whereas matrix board is Vero board without any copper at all, ie. just a
board with holes

video : vcr (machine)
white goods : appliances
wireless : radio

A few synonyms of sort
Low Copper, High Oxygen Content Connection = High Impedence Air Gap =
unplugged

Don't forget the standard user fault code: Eye-Dee-ten-Tee (ID10T)

Yeah, I know - not UK : USA specifically but as a colonial I kind of
fall under UK in a really, really good stretch of the imagination.

AUS : USA

shifter (shifting spanner) : adjustable wrench
wheel nuts : lug nuts
wheel brace : lug wrench

Another fun one is 'Durex'

AUS : NZ

Durex (sticky tape) : condom (IIRC)

Dave

John G

Personally I'd lump the following together:

UK & US - imperial (linear measurements, ie. inches,feet,yards,miles)
Rest of world - Metric (except for some bastions of Imperial
Colonisation)

Dave

It is worse than that .
The US has not started to get with it yet even though the law was passed
back around 1890.

The UK have made a token jesture to joining the rest of the world by
buying litres of petrol (gasoline) to travel miles on their roads.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

4wd

John G wrote:
Personally I'd lump the following together:

UK & US - imperial (linear measurements, ie. inches,feet,yards,miles)
Rest of world - Metric (except for some bastions of Imperial
Colonisation)

Dave

It is worse than that .
The US has not started to get with it yet even though the law was passed
back around 1890.

The UK have made a token jesture to joining the rest of the world by
buying litres of petrol (gasoline) to travel miles on their roads.

Doesn't the US also sell petrol by the litre?

I'm sure it did when I was there 2 years ago....or maybe I got so used
to working out how much it cost per litre that I'm remembering it that
way....

Dave
James Sweet

Doesn't the US also sell petrol by the litre?

I'm sure it did when I was there 2 years ago....or maybe I got so used
to working out how much it cost per litre that I'm remembering it that
way....

Nope, it's gallons here, always has been. Canada sells it by the liter
though.
Ken Weitzel

John G wrote:

Personally I'd lump the following together:

UK & US - imperial (linear measurements, ie. inches,feet,yards,miles)
Rest of world - Metric (except for some bastions of Imperial
Colonisation)

Dave

It is worse than that .
The US has not started to get with it yet even though the law was passed
back around 1890.

The UK have made a token jesture to joining the rest of the world by
buying litres of petrol (gasoline) to travel miles on their roads.

Hey, don't feel bad. Our speed limit signs are in furlongs per
fortnight

Ken

OK, what about breadboards. Back when regular people did home built
projects they would use a breadboard for prototyping. Holes at .100"
with busses going in one direction in the middle and perpendicular at
the sides.

Then there's it's predecessor, the "Fastentock" clip I believe it was
called.

What about jury rigged ? It used to be N-word rigged in the old days ?

Although I don't want to ressurrect it, there was one heck of a thread
about why 60Hz power vs 50Hz. I don't see how blokes could stand
flourescent or sodium lighting. I can barely stand 60Hz refresh on my
monitor.

Then there's the 24FPS rate of film, at least here. I read somewhere
that modern 70mm etc real film projectors were redesigned to show each
frame twice and/or leave it showing for as long as possible and get the
next frame as quickly as possible. This was all to reduce the flicker.

JURB

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
wrote:
Although I don't want to ressurrect it, there was one heck of a thread
about why 60Hz power vs 50Hz. I don't see how blokes could stand
flourescent or sodium lighting. I can barely stand 60Hz refresh on my
monitor.

This is down to the persistence of the phosphors. Modern fluorescent tubes
with tri-phosphor coatings are so much better. As on course are high
frequency ballasts.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Shawn D'Alimonte

Ray L. Volts wrote:
Anyone else have the correct terminology for this type?

hermaphroditic ?

When I hear that, I have one of these in mind:

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/c/is_0-8mm_bd-bd.pdf

I think of the old IBM Token Ring Connector.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IBMtrconnector.jpg

Surprisingly I only had one experience with Token Ring. What a pain.

The unusual type I referred to earlier actually had pins and holes on the
same side, in a cylindrical housing. It's been so long since I've
encountered them, I don't even remember what they were called.

The most common I can think of is the North American small trailer light
plug. The car side has three females and a male.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
James Sweet

This is down to the persistence of the phosphors. Modern fluorescent tubes
with tri-phosphor coatings are so much better. As on course are high
frequency ballasts.

It's what a person gets used to also. Strangely, HF electronic ballasts
are rare in most places that have 50Hz because they also use 240v so the
standard ballast is a simple choke.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zenier

In article om,
wrote:
OK, what about breadboards. Back when regular people did home built
projects they would use a breadboard for prototyping. Holes at .100"
with busses going in one direction in the middle and perpendicular at
the sides.

Some of us go back far enough that perf board had the .166(?) inch
diagonal pattern. And flea clips. Before that, it was a hunk of
sheet metal, a Greenlee punch, and terminal strips and sockets you
scrapped out of old TV sets.

Then there's it's predecessor, the "Fastentock" clip I believe it was
called.

Fahnstock, or something close to that.

Mark Zenier

Dave Plowman (News)

In article VMoef.19074$Mr4.16435@trnddc08,
James Sweet wrote:
This is down to the persistence of the phosphors. Modern fluorescent
tubes with tri-phosphor coatings are so much better. As on course are
high frequency ballasts.

It's what a person gets used to also. Strangely, HF electronic ballasts
are rare in most places that have 50Hz because they also use 240v so the
standard ballast is a simple choke.

I've got them in my kitchen to drive full width tube worktop lighting. Had
them for many years. Far less heat to the cupboards above and dimmable,
too. Tubes have an amazing life, near instant start and no flicker. Highly
recommended.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Sjouke Burry

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
wrote:

Although I don't want to ressurrect it, there was one heck of a thread
about why 60Hz power vs 50Hz. I don't see how blokes could stand
flourescent or sodium lighting. I can barely stand 60Hz refresh on my
monitor.

This is down to the persistence of the phosphors. Modern fluorescent tubes
with tri-phosphor coatings are so much better. As on course are high
frequency ballasts.

Also you have to consider,that the light of these tubes
flickers at 120(100) hz,and that is better then your monitor at 60.
N Cook

latest version will be on in week or so
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm

Allen Key : hex key , hex wrench, Allen wrench
answerphone : answering machine
anti-clockwise : counter-clockwise
Araldite (epoxy glue) : J B Weld
Avo (meter, short for Avocet ) [old analogue multimeter ] : VTVM (vacuum
tube voltmeter; usually line-powered) or a VOM (volt-ohmmeter; usually
battery-powered)
Bakelite : Catlin
banana plugs : wander plugs
billion (before year 1974 ) : million million
(the) box, telly : television (set)
Bulgin connectors : ?
earth [voltage reference] : ground
elastic band, rubber band : flex
enameled copper wire : magnet wire
engineer's persuader for percussive maintenance : knockometer
flex : electric cord
Gilbows : tinsnips
Harwin/Molex connectors : Amp/Tyco
Hellerman pliers ,(triple prong sleeving expanders) : ?
high tension (HT) : high voltage (hv)
imperial (measurements ) : inches,feet,yards,miles
jack : plug (male part of a connection)
LOPT , Line Output Transformer (pronounced Lop-tee) : IHVT (Flyback
Transformer) , IFBT = Integrated FlyBack Transformer
mains (power) [electricity supply company power feed ] : line (power)
maths (mathematics ) : math
metric (measurements, mm ,cm, metres,km) : European
mobile (phone) : cellphone, wireless, cellular phone
Mole grips : lock jaw pliers, vice grips
Paxolin : Lucite ?
Perspex : Plexiglas
pilewound (as in a coil) : scatterwound
plug in power supply : wall wart, ac adapter
plugs and sockets (male and female designated by forms of outer housing ) :
plugs and sockets (male and female designated by forms inner electrical
connections )
power point : electric socket
phono connectors : RCA connectors (archaic)
QM connectors : ?
reaction : regeneration
rubber (hard formulation) : Ebonite
spanner : wrench
scope (oscilloscope) : o'scope, oscope
screening : shielding
socket : jack (except for mains wall outlets)
Stanley knife : box cutter , utility knife
Stilsons : pipewrench
thou (thousandth of an inch ): mil (measurement)
trillion (before 1974 ? ) : million million million
valve : tube
Vero board ,copper strip matrix board : Vector board
video : vcr (machine)
white goods : appliances
wireless : radio

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip

Kinescope = CRT
CRT= Boob Tube..( Just couldnt resist)
kip

:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Corrections to the sheet

You have one mistake

elastic band, bungee cord : flex
elastic band, rubber band : flex

Someone said an american might assume that flex ment bungie cord or maybe
rubber band.. Flex is not a standard term here for bungie cord or a rubber
band. We call bungie cords bungie cords and rubber bands rubber bands.

and banna connectors are called banna connectors here.

flex : electric cord, extension cord

Paxolin : Lexan? Lexan is bulletproof if thick enough. It will not crack and
break eaisly. The chemical name is polycarbonate

valve : tube Question on this one... Valves here are what you turn water
on and off with.. A pipe could be called a tube but not usually only if it
was small like a drinking straw.
http://www.hometips.com/hyhw/plumbing/71service.html

Harwin/Molex connectors : Amp/Tyco Typically called molex connectors in my
experience. Can't say I've heard them called Amp or Tyco connectors.

- Mike

"N Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
news
You have one mistake

elastic band, bungee cord : flex
elastic band, rubber band : flex

Someone said an american might assume that flex ment bungie cord or maybe
rubber band.. Flex is not a standard term here for bungie cord or a rubber
band. We call bungie cords bungie cords and rubber bands rubber bands.

Actually, I said "elastic" band. And I've definitely heard people here in
Texas refer to an elastic band as "flex cord". Oddly enough, we do call a
"rubber" band a rubber band. I presume the distinction is so people won't
mistake garment or upholstery elastic for the multi-purpose rubber bands.
People here also have called a bungee cord a "flex cord" or "flex strap".
No, they aren't industry-standard terms, but I assumed he wanted optional
"street" translations, too. Maybe not..

Harwin/Molex connectors : Amp/Tyco Typically called molex connectors in
my experience. Can't say I've heard them called Amp or Tyco connectors.

Must be a Texas thing. Been buying both Molex and Amp ends for many years.
Never seen a Molex that matches his Harwin specs. Molex uses different type
crimp receptacles -- even the non-U-spring square ones are slightly
different. The Amp ones in that Tyco link I posted look just like those in
his Harwin pic; same pin spacing, too. Well, at least they are the same in
all the Texas parts houses I frequent -- that includes consumer, commercial
and industrial suppliers. When I go in and ask for a Molex, they _never_
come back with a Harwin type connector as per his pic. We don't call them
Tyco connectors here, either. I included Tyco to indicate who now owns the
Amp line. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Actually, I said "elastic" band. And I've definitely heard people here in
Texas refer to an elastic band as "flex cord". Oddly enough, we do call a
"rubber" band a rubber band. I presume the distinction is so people won't
mistake garment or upholstery elastic for the multi-purpose rubber bands.
People here also have called a bungee cord a "flex cord" or "flex strap".
No, they aren't industry-standard terms, but I assumed he wanted optional
"street" translations, too. Maybe not..

huh.. I've never heard that one, but I live in Florida. Guess that could be
why.

I think we need to make a Regional translation manual for the USA. : )

Harwin/Molex connectors : Amp/Tyco Typically called molex connectors in
my experience. Can't say I've heard them called Amp or Tyco connectors.

Must be a Texas thing. Been buying both Molex and Amp ends for many
years. Never seen a Molex that matches his Harwin specs. Molex uses
different type crimp receptacles -- even the non-U-spring square ones are
slightly different. The Amp ones in that Tyco link I posted look just
like those in his Harwin pic; same pin spacing, too. Well, at least they
are the same in all the Texas parts houses I frequent -- that includes
consumer, commercial and industrial suppliers. When I go in and ask for a
Molex, they _never_ come back with a Harwin type connector as per his pic.
We don't call them Tyco connectors here, either. I included Tyco to
indicate who now owns the Amp line. Sorry for the confusion.

by the way I have heard of amp connectors, but I don't think molex when
someone says amp.
I didn't see the pictures of the connector he listed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK)

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Paxolin : Lexan? Lexan is bulletproof if thick enough. It will not crack and
break eaisly. The chemical name is polycarbonate

Paxolin is a hard board made from compressed brown paper and resin ie
circuit board not of the glass fibre variety.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:

Paxolin : Lexan? Lexan is bulletproof if thick enough. It will not crack
and break eaisly. The chemical name is polycarbonate

Paxolin is a hard board made from compressed brown paper and resin ie
circuit board not of the glass fibre variety.

Ron(UK)

In the USA, these boards are known generically as "paper phenolic". There
are a number of manufacturers and there's not just one brand name that we
would refer to, at least not in my experience.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike

In article ,
Ron(UK) wrote:
Michael Kennedy wrote:

Paxolin : Lexan? Lexan is bulletproof if thick enough. It will not crack and
break eaisly. The chemical name is polycarbonate

Paxolin is a hard board made from compressed brown paper and resin ie
circuit board not of the glass fibre variety.

Ah, SRBP (Something Resin Bonded Paper) board! Now I remember! Some of the
items I listed (Veroboard, Tripad, VQ) are "SRPB Copper Matrix board" for
their generic name.
Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N Cook

Could someone tell me what "decals" translate as ?
Logos, legends, labels, overlays, printing?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK)

N Cook wrote:
Could someone tell me what "decals" translate as ?
Logos, legends, labels, overlays, printing?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

If you are refering to the waterslide stickers used on model kits and
the like, here in britain they are called transfers. Adhesive backed
ones are called stickers or decals. (from Decalomania I believe)

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Haggis

On 26-Nov-2005, "N Cook" wrote:

Could someone tell me what "decals" translate as ?
Logos, legends, labels, overlays, printing?

Transfers? (that's what they were known as in the UK 40 years ago, but times
change) :-).

Haggis.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N Cook

"Haggis telus.net" hamishg@remove wrote in message

On 26-Nov-2005, "N Cook" wrote:

Could someone tell me what "decals" translate as ?
Logos, legends, labels, overlays, printing?

Transfers? (that's what they were known as in the UK 40 years ago, but

times
change) :-).

Haggis.

perhaps stickers or even signs

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Geo. Thomas rear parting tool holder Karen Story Metalworking 9 August 28th 04 03:10 PM
wooden tool handle finishing AArDvarK Woodworking 6 August 12th 04 01:15 PM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM