Default Lithium batteries not recommended?

Just purchased a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 digital camera.
It came with 2 NIMH AA batteries. The manual says...

You can not use lithium batteries. I have always used non
rechargeable lithium AA's for emergency back ups. Why
doesn't Sony want these batteries used?
Jerry G.

There are a number of issues that may be prevalent with the unit that you
have. This has to do with its design.

The default under load voltage may not be able to be properly matched in the
size type that it uses.
There may be an issue with the current source capability of the batteries in
the size type that it uses.
There may be an issue with any type of built in charger that your unit may
use.

If lithium batteries are not properly used, and or charged, there can also
be safety issues. It is best to follow the instructions from the
manufacture, if you want to have good product reliability, performance, and
safety. A good advice is to follow the instructions from the manufacture.

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
Just purchased a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 digital camera.
It came with 2 NIMH AA batteries. The manual says...

You can not use lithium batteries. I have always used non
rechargeable lithium AA's for emergency back ups. Why
doesn't Sony want these batteries used?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:18:31 -0400, "Jerry G."
wrote:

There are a number of issues that may be prevalent with the unit that you
have. This has to do with its design.

The default under load voltage may not be able to be properly matched in the
size type that it uses.
There may be an issue with the current source capability of the batteries in
the size type that it uses.
There may be an issue with any type of built in charger that your unit may
use.

No built in charger

If lithium batteries are not properly used, and or charged, there can also
be safety issues. It is best to follow the instructions from the
manufacture, if you want to have good product reliability, performance, and
safety. A good advice is to follow the instructions from the manufacture.

If it's a recharging issue I can eliminate that issue because I am
aware of it. Shouldn't the slightly higher voltage of the lithium's
be ok if the camera has a voltage regulator?
sofie

tnom:
The reply from Jerry G. has some very good points that pertinent to your
question.
I suggest that you should take your argument directly to SONY ..... they
made the statement in their manual for a good reason, all we can do is
conjecture, and if wrong, could damage your new, shiny camera.
Sony's website has a very good customer support link along with FAQ's that
may answer your question directly from the horse's mouth.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

wrote:

[...]

Ralph Mowery

wrote in message
Just purchased a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 digital camera.
It came with 2 NIMH AA batteries. The manual says...

You can not use lithium batteries. I have always used non
rechargeable lithium AA's for emergency back ups. Why
doesn't Sony want these batteries used?

Most digital cams need a short pulse of high current from the batteries. I
have not looked at the curves of the lithiums but suspect they will not
give the high current. Many times the standard nonrechargables will not
give many shots either.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:57:49 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Just purchased a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 digital camera.
It came with 2 NIMH AA batteries. The manual says...

You can not use lithium batteries. I have always used non
rechargeable lithium AA's for emergency back ups. Why
doesn't Sony want these batteries used?

Most digital cams need a short pulse of high current from the batteries. I
have not looked at the curves of the lithiums but suspect they will not
give the high current. Many times the standard nonrechargables will not
give many shots either.

Energizer Lithium AA photo battery

http://www.energizer.com/energizerphoto/faq.htm
H. Dziardziel

wrote:

Most digital cams need a short pulse of high current from the batteries. I
have not looked at the curves of the lithiums but suspect they will not
give the high current. Many times the standard nonrechargables will not
give many shots either.

The manual from Sony's site page 98 where it lists what types of
cells should not be used, says "we cannot gurantee full
performance of the camera by property of the bartteries, such as
brownout of the batteries" .

Energizer's L91 AAs can supply 2 sec 3A pulses and continuous
2A which although, not as high as good NiMH would appear to be
well over any typical camera needs but this one may be a real
hog?.

Ralph Mowery

wrote in message
Just purchased a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 digital camera.
It came with 2 NIMH AA batteries. The manual says...

You can not use lithium batteries. I have always used non
rechargeable lithium AA's for emergency back ups. Why
doesn't Sony want these batteries used?

One other thing that I have heard but can not verify is that the cells may
give off fumes that will eat the case or compinents of the camera. It comes
from the unverified story that the FAA will not certify them for the
emergency locator beacons as the fumes eat the airframes.

Jim Adney

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:39:33 -0400 wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:51:42 -0500, Jim Adney
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:38:31 -0400
wrote:

If it's a recharging issue I can eliminate that issue because I am
aware of it. Shouldn't the slightly higher voltage of the lithium's
be ok if the camera has a voltage regulator?

The lithium cell has twice the voltage of a NiCad or NiMH. Unless they
designed the circuit to work with that overvoltage, I'd expect it to
give problems.

Energizer sells single AA lithium batteries

http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/default.aspx

Yes, and so do lots of other makers, but using these in place of 1.5V
AA cells will subject your unit to twice the voltage that it was
expecting. This is probably not a good idea.

My point was that some devices and makers have attacked this problem
by making devices and batteries which can use either some number of
1.5V cells, or half as many 3V cells. They make special Lithium cells
which are shaped like 2 AAs side-by-side, so you get more than twice
the energy storage in the same space without going up in voltage at
all.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

wrote:

If it's a recharging issue I can eliminate that issue because I am
aware of it. Shouldn't the slightly higher voltage of the lithium's
be ok if the camera has a voltage regulator?

The lithium cell has twice the voltage of a NiCad or NiMH. Unless they
designed the circuit to work with that overvoltage, I'd expect it to
give problems.

Energizer sells single AA lithium batteries

http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/default.aspx

Yes, and so do lots of other makers, but using these in place of 1.5V
AA cells will subject your unit to twice the voltage that it was
expecting. This is probably not a good idea.

Not THOSE Lithiums. They're internally voltage-regulated to output
1.5V.

Else, I'd have let a LOT of smoke out of my digital camera.

My point was that some devices and makers have attacked this problem
by making devices and batteries which can use either some number of
1.5V cells, or half as many 3V cells. They make special Lithium cells
which are shaped like 2 AAs side-by-side, so you get more than twice
the energy storage in the same space without going up in voltage at
all.

They also make packages (notice, not the cells! They're still 3V)
that drop the output down to 1.5 for compatibility's sake.

RwP

Energizer sells single AA lithium batteries

http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/default.aspx

Yes, and so do lots of other makers, but using these in place of 1.5V
AA cells will subject your unit to twice the voltage that it was
expecting. This is probably not a good idea.

No. Lots of other maker do not sell them. Just Energizer and they are
1.5 volts.

My point was that some devices and makers have attacked this problem
by making devices and batteries which can use either some number of
1.5V cells, or half as many 3V cells. They make special Lithium cells
which are shaped like 2 AAs side-by-side, so you get more than twice
the energy storage in the same space without going up in voltage at
all.

These double cased types have been around for a while. Energizer now
has single AA packaged lithium cells that are 1.5 volts

i also have a Yashica ez zoom autofocus camera(regular 35 mm film).
its manual also says not to use NiCD, or Lithium batteries and to only
use alkaline AA cells.
CAn anybody explain why this is?
anyway i ve been using two NiMH batteries for the camera for a while
without any problems.will i damage my camera?

Ralph Wade Phillips

howdy!

wrote in message
oups.com...
i also have a Yashica ez zoom autofocus camera(regular 35 mm film).
its manual also says not to use NiCD, or Lithium batteries and to only
use alkaline AA cells.

NiCads are 1.2V, Lithium CELLs are 3V. Either one is bad news for a
camera - the NiCad won't last long enough, and might not work at all - and
the 3V Lithiums would tend to fry it.

Energizer Lithium AA and AAAs are voltage-limited to 1.5V, which
should make them OK.

CAn anybody explain why this is?
anyway i ve been using two NiMH batteries for the camera for a while
without any problems.will i damage my camera?

Are they 1.5V? If so, then they're OK. If not, but are 1.2V, then
it's not a matter of damage usually but of shortened life since the camera
will shut down on low voltage LONG before the cells are actually depleted.

RwP

H. Dziardziel

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:42:55 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

snip

One other thing that I have heard but can not verify is that the cells may
give off fumes that will eat the case or compinents of the camera. It comes
from the unverified story that the FAA will not certify them for the
emergency locator beacons as the fumes eat the airframes.

Pressurized industrial Lithium Sulfur Dioxide Batteries (LiSO2), a
different non camera lithium chemistry, and are nominally 3V
Consumer manganese dioxide lithiums, as used in cameras, are also
3V.. Eveready's l91 are Lithium/Iron Disulfide (Li/FeS 2) 1.5V

The various kinds recapped he
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/PrimBatt/Lithium.htm

H. Dziardziel

On 15 Sep 2005 07:17:18 -0700, "
wrote:

i also have a Yashica ez zoom autofocus camera(regular 35 mm film).
its manual also says not to use NiCD, or Lithium batteries and to only
use alkaline AA cells.
CAn anybody explain why this is?
anyway i ve been using two NiMH batteries for the camera for a while
without any problems.will i damage my camera?

Some cameras need the higher open circuit voltage from alkalines
or the camera electronics assumes a weak battery. Quality current
NiMh have a tad higher voltage than NiCads except under very heavy
load such as found in power tools -- due to the NiMh's higher
internal resistance. If the NiMh work by all means use them..
Jim Adney

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:56:32 -0500 "Ralph Wade Phillips"
wrote:

http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/default.aspx

Not THOSE Lithiums. They're internally voltage-regulated to output
1.5V.

Else, I'd have let a LOT of smoke out of my digital camera.

Okay, thanks for bring me up to speed on these. I didn't know about
them. They appear to just be a different chemistry, still
incorporating lithium, which produces a lower potential. Not quite the
same thing as "voltage-regulated", but with the same end result.

My point was that some devices and makers have attacked this problem
by making devices and batteries which can use either some number of
1.5V cells, or half as many 3V cells. They make special Lithium cells
which are shaped like 2 AAs side-by-side, so you get more than twice
the energy storage in the same space without going up in voltage at
all.

They also make packages (notice, not the cells! They're still 3V)
that drop the output down to 1.5 for compatibility's sake.

Not sure what you mean here. The side-by-side packages are 3V. The
Energizer .pdf file makes no mention of a regulator, just the
different ~1.5V Li/FeS2 chemistry. Or did I miss something else? The
PTC is just a current limiter and overtemp device.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Kos

I owned an older Olympus Digicam. They had the same warning with their
equipment. Their explanation was that the Lithium batteries get too hot
during discharge and the higher temps will damage camera components. Heat -
that's it. Nothing fancy.