Jim Adney

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:56:32 -0500 "Ralph Wade Phillips"
wrote:

http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/default.aspx

Not THOSE Lithiums. They're internally voltage-regulated to output
1.5V.

Else, I'd have let a LOT of smoke out of my digital camera.

Okay, thanks for bring me up to speed on these. I didn't know about
them. They appear to just be a different chemistry, still
incorporating lithium, which produces a lower potential. Not quite the
same thing as "voltage-regulated", but with the same end result.

My point was that some devices and makers have attacked this problem
by making devices and batteries which can use either some number of
1.5V cells, or half as many 3V cells. They make special Lithium cells
which are shaped like 2 AAs side-by-side, so you get more than twice
the energy storage in the same space without going up in voltage at
all.

They also make packages (notice, not the cells! They're still 3V)
that drop the output down to 1.5 for compatibility's sake.

Not sure what you mean here. The side-by-side packages are 3V. The
Energizer .pdf file makes no mention of a regulator, just the
different ~1.5V Li/FeS2 chemistry. Or did I miss something else? The
PTC is just a current limiter and overtemp device.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA