Pete

Default Plans for a workbench please

This may sound silly but has anyone a link to some sensible electronic
lab/repair workbench DIY buildable 'Project' plans? I could sit down and
design something myself but i don't know about things like best Ergonomic
height, strength of timber/ types of lumber etc.

I want one that has a shelf above it so that test gear can 'live up there'
above the work surface.

I finally have a spare room in my house and i want to make it a 'lab' come
repair bench... much better than the kitchen table.

I'd need the bench to be reasonably easily taken apart should the day come i
move house. Ideas appreciated.

clintonG

Ask in news://alt.building.construction too! I'd also find the magazine
websites such as Popular Mechanics, Woodworker and so on.

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

"Pete" wrote in message
This may sound silly but has anyone a link to some sensible electronic
lab/repair workbench DIY buildable 'Project' plans? I could sit down and
design something myself but i don't know about things like best Ergonomic
height, strength of timber/ types of lumber etc.

I want one that has a shelf above it so that test gear can 'live up there'
above the work surface.

I finally have a spare room in my house and i want to make it a 'lab' come
repair bench... much better than the kitchen table.

I'd need the bench to be reasonably easily taken apart should the day come
move house. Ideas appreciated.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pete wrote:
This may sound silly but has anyone a link to some sensible electronic
lab/repair workbench DIY buildable 'Project' plans? I could sit down and
design something myself but i don't know about things like best Ergonomic
height, strength of timber/ types of lumber etc.

The heights of both a sit down and stand up type bench are really
determined by what's comfortable to the individual - the beauty of
building your own.

For electronics you don't need as strong a construction as you would for
car mechanics etc, and if you can also fix it to the room walls this will
greatly aid rigidity.

I want one that has a shelf above it so that test gear can 'live up
there' above the work surface.

Best to use Spur shelving so you can adjust the heights after experience
of use.

I finally have a spare room in my house and i want to make it a 'lab'
come repair bench... much better than the kitchen table.

I'd need the bench to be reasonably easily taken apart should the day
come i move house. Ideas appreciated.

This is what I've done. I've run all the additional services needed in
surface trunking so it can be easily removed. Of course with the UK ring
main system extra sockets are easy.

I used carpet tiles for the floor covering, but you want a smooth area
round the electronics bench for easy finding of dropped components.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike Berger

Buy a kit from the local big-box store and customize it. I used
indoor/outdoor static-free carpet for my work surface. It had
enough friction to keep things from sliding around, was scratch and
flame-resistant, and kept parts from getting lost.

Pete wrote:
This may sound silly but has anyone a link to some sensible electronic
lab/repair workbench DIY buildable 'Project' plans? I could sit down and
design something myself but i don't know about things like best Ergonomic
height, strength of timber/ types of lumber etc.

I want one that has a shelf above it so that test gear can 'live up there'
above the work surface.

I finally have a spare room in my house and i want to make it a 'lab' come
repair bench... much better than the kitchen table.

I'd need the bench to be reasonably easily taken apart should the day come i
move house. Ideas appreciated.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:
Buy a kit from the local big-box store and customize it. I used
indoor/outdoor static-free carpet for my work surface. It had
enough friction to keep things from sliding around, was scratch and
flame-resistant, and kept parts from getting lost.

I used what's known as 'battleship' lino with a hardwood edge.

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Bob Shuman

I used old oak tongue and groove floor boards over 2"x6" planks going in the
opposite direction. This sits over a couple of welded steel frames so my
work bench isn't going anywhere and no doubt would survive the house
collapsing onto it.

Bob
..
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:
Buy a kit from the local big-box store and customize it. I used
indoor/outdoor static-free carpet for my work surface. It had
enough friction to keep things from sliding around, was scratch and
flame-resistant, and kept parts from getting lost.

I used what's known as 'battleship' lino with a hardwood edge.

Michael A. Terrell

Pete wrote:

This may sound silly but has anyone a link to some sensible electronic
lab/repair workbench DIY buildable 'Project' plans? I could sit down and
design something myself but i don't know about things like best Ergonomic
height, strength of timber/ types of lumber etc.

I want one that has a shelf above it so that test gear can 'live up there'
above the work surface.

I finally have a spare room in my house and i want to make it a 'lab' come
repair bench... much better than the kitchen table.

I'd need the bench to be reasonably easily taken apart should the day come i
move house. Ideas appreciated.

There are frequent discussions about work benches on
news:alt.binary.pictures.radio including pictures of how not to do it
when they go through a round of worst or dirtiest work bench
competition. Some of the benches are very well designed, but you have
to decide what suits your needs. What are you going to work on? how
much test equipment do you have? Do you want to keep parts cabinets on
the bench, or nearby? Where do you want to put the AC outlets? In
other words, make a list of your needs and look around. I have six
different benches set up at my house, in different buildings. Each is
tailored to one, or a few types of work. Yes, it is overkill, but I am
disabled and it makes sense for my needs. At this time they are still
covered in plastic from last year's hurricanes because the roofs on the
workshops still need replaced. I work on test equipment, Ham radio
gear, computers and monitors, along with anything that I find
interesting. One bench is for the dirty work of tearing down old
equipment, and has a drill press and chop saw a couple feet away to
build prototypes. What are you going to do at your bench?

news:alt.binaries.schematics.electronic is another place where the
subject comes up from time to time, and a polite request on either group
will get you plenty of pictures sot you can see what will work for you.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 05 08:30 AM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
Workbench plans? NoNameAtAll Woodworking 13 January 21st 04 01:28 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM