Bob Shuman

I used old oak tongue and groove floor boards over 2"x6" planks going in the
opposite direction. This sits over a couple of welded steel frames so my
work bench isn't going anywhere and no doubt would survive the house
collapsing onto it.

Bob
..
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:
Buy a kit from the local big-box store and customize it. I used
indoor/outdoor static-free carpet for my work surface. It had
enough friction to keep things from sliding around, was scratch and
flame-resistant, and kept parts from getting lost.

I used what's known as 'battleship' lino with a hardwood edge.