Old October 31st 15, 08:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default PDF reader.

On 10/27/2015 5:12 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

Foxit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Old October 31st 15, 08:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On 10/28/2015 6:37 AM, Boris Mohar wrote:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:12:37 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't
remember why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

AFAIK everything now is an "installer" no matter the verbage "full".

The reason I ask is; I may take it over to my XP box which has no
internet access.

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

Get Parted Magic 2013_05-07 which AFAIK is the most recent one NOT
locked by mandatory nagware (and it is hell to modify a CD).
I may have the ISO on my HD...yes, i have 2 copies, one named
pmagic_2013_05_07.iso 320512KB downloaded/created 5/6/3013 and the other
same name and date, just a different folder.
If you want, i can FTP that and other 2013 versions to a folder on my
Oil 4 Less(R) .ORG website if you ask.
Otherwise i will assume you have found and downloaded it.

Old October 31st 15, 08:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

Personally I find the debian installer has enough (for non-paranoid
erasure), either by switching to the command-line or by selecting the
"overwrite" option during partitioning.

Err... I have found that SpinRite does indeed fix up a failing HD by
recovering "soft" bytes and "soft" sectors.
I was lax on one HD, which became unbootable and parts unreadable,
and was a challenge for SpinRite; it is now bootable and everything i
needed became available afterwords.
I had another HD with similar problems that i had to put in the
freezer for a while to make it readable for SpinRite; is perfectly good
and reliable now.
In fact,it is good to use SpinRite on a regular basis to keep a HD in
good shape.

Old October 31st 15, 09:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a
bootable
CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good
thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

ATM: I'm not trying to sort out flaky media - and I have Spintite 6 for
when
I do.

It works well most of the time, but gets tangled up on 1Tb or bigger.

It also gave a clean bill of health to a Samsung 500Gb drive that had a
habit of misplacing allocation chains.

If the media's dying spinrite will just wear it out.
a better plan is to use with one of the programs
called ddrescue to copy everything onto stable media.

I wanted to find out if that Samsung was stable media - Spinrite said it
was, despite the fact that it wasn't.

Old November 4th 15, 08:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a
bootable CD with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a
good thing to run on failing media, so take that with a grain of
salt.

ATM: I'm not trying to sort out flaky media - and I have Spintite 6
for when I do.

It works well most of the time, but gets tangled up on 1Tb or
bigger.

It also gave a clean bill of health to a Samsung 500Gb drive that
had a habit of misplacing allocation chains.

If the media's dying spinrite will just wear it out. a better plan is
to use with one of the programs called ddrescue to copy everything
onto stable media.

Horse manure.
There is no wear on the media - there is NO CONTACT.
If bytes are hard to read, multiple reads with track re-positioning
and heuristic recovery would beat whatever "ddrescue" may do.
Old November 4th 15, 08:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/27/2015 5:12 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

Foxit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

What bugs me is that Foxit insists on getting some kind of "addon" at
times, and then cannot find the website.
2 cases so far..1) want to type in (fill out) something; 2) want to
do digital signature.
Does that useless query at first character case 1.

Old November 4th 15, 09:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

One or more uploaded at http://www.oil4lessllc.org/ISO/; full size
about 310Mbytes; taking forever. Ignore shorties about 7Mbytes, the
transfer died early so i will have to retry later.

Old November 4th 15, 03:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Took a number of hours.
See http://www.oil4lessllc.org/ISO/ .

Old November 24th 15, 01:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Robert Baer wrote:
What bugs me is that Foxit insists on getting some kind of "addon"
at times, and then cannot find the website.
2 cases so far..1) want to type in (fill out) something; 2) want to
do digital signature.
Does that useless query at first character case 1.

I never get that because I stick with v2.3. It doesn't seem to have any
relevant limitations.

Maybe oldversion.com has it.

Newsgroup reader gregz Home Repair 3 March 10th 13 04:14 AM
Hi all…. ebook reader Rosis Electronics Repair 0 July 7th 09 06:10 AM
introducing new reader here tom koehler Woodturning 22 November 3rd 08 04:42 PM
news reader for Mac [email protected] Woodworking 9 April 5th 07 06:49 PM
new reader john s Woodworking 3 March 29th 05 12:26 AM