Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default PDF reader.

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

"Peter Bennett" wrote in message
news.com...
On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:12:37 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit. google for "pdf reader" to find it, and lots of others.

Thanks - that may be the one that was mentioned.

In the past, I've found some dodgy things by doing a general "pdf
reader" search.

Staying with Adobe would be preferable - but I've heard rumours they're
going to start charging fees.

NO rumor.
Adobe has been demanding, from what they deemed to be business
customers, "fees" on a yearly or monthly basis depending on subscription
level chosen.
They get away with it via their "update" that replaces an old reliable
freebie with a new freebie that demands a subscription else it will die.
This has been going on for at least 3 months now.

The W10 upgrade seems to include a PDF reader in the browser, but it is not
in any way satisfactory.

Usually I download stuff on the W10 machine, its reader is just about good
enough to see whether the document is worth moving to my XP box for further
study.

Maybe I'll just put up with that, but sounds like if I need something
better - Adobe is worth giving a miss.