Old October 30th 15, 01:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default PDF reader.

Ian Field wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On 10/28/2015 6:37 AM, Boris Mohar wrote:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:12:37 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't
remember why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

AFAIK everything now is an "installer" no matter the verbage "full".

Old October 30th 15, 01:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-29, Ian wrote:

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

possibly you clicked a "Download now" advertisement and not the actual
file link.

Those F-ing links seem to be all over most software sites, seemly
dozens on the web page, with the true link almost impossible to find.
And there is no way to get that (being VERY polite) **** to stop.

Old October 30th 15, 06:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Robert Baer" wrote in message

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't
remember why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

AFAIK everything now is an "installer" no matter the verbage "full".

The reason I ask is; I may take it over to my XP box which has no internet
access.

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

Old October 30th 15, 07:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't remember
why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

Lots of the boot disks on the web have the ability. This one is
dedicated: Darik's boot and nuke
Old October 30th 15, 09:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't remember
why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

Lots of the boot disks on the web have the ability. This one is
dedicated: Darik's boot and nuke

The page I found offered a demo or a paid for version.

Old October 31st 15, 04:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-29, Ian wrote:

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

possibly you clicked a "Download now" advertisement and not the actual
file link.

Those F-ing links seem to be all over most software sites, seemly
dozens on the web page, with the true link almost impossible to find.
And there is no way to get that (being VERY polite) **** to stop.

linux has distros where full of curated free software, yeah this is
trading a little freedom for convenience. but there's nothing
stopping me from installing third-party stuff if I really want to.

--
\_(ツ)_
Old October 31st 15, 04:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

Personally I find the debian installer has enough (for non-paranoid
erasure), either by switching to the command-line or by selecting the
"overwrite" option during partitioning.

--
\_(ツ)_
Old October 31st 15, 04:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

Lots of the boot disks on the web have the ability. This one is
dedicated: Darik's boot and nuke

The page I found offered a demo or a paid for version.

No, that's Blancco. the DBAN download link is in the header.

it seems that Darik pays for his domain by advertising
for a competitor...

--
\_(ツ)_
Old October 31st 15, 07:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good
thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

ATM: I'm not trying to sort out flaky media - and I have Spintite 6 for when
I do.

It works well most of the time, but gets tangled up on 1Tb or bigger.

It also gave a clean bill of health to a Samsung 500Gb drive that had a
habit of misplacing allocation chains.

Old October 31st 15, 09:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good
thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

ATM: I'm not trying to sort out flaky media - and I have Spintite 6 for when
I do.

It works well most of the time, but gets tangled up on 1Tb or bigger.

It also gave a clean bill of health to a Samsung 500Gb drive that had a
habit of misplacing allocation chains.

If the media's dying spinrite will just wear it out.
a better plan is to use with one of the programs
called ddrescue to copy everything onto stable media.

--
\_(ツ)_

Newsgroup reader gregz Home Repair 3 March 10th 13 05:14 AM
Hi all…. ebook reader Rosis Electronics Repair 0 July 7th 09 07:10 AM
introducing new reader here tom koehler Woodturning 22 November 3rd 08 05:42 PM
news reader for Mac [email protected] Woodworking 9 April 5th 07 07:49 PM
new reader john s Woodworking 3 March 29th 05 01:26 AM