Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Needhams EMP30 EPROM programmer on Win7

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:52:35 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"VioletaPachydermata" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:22:28 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"VioletaPachydermata" wrote in message
news On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:11:33 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Bill Garber" wrote in message ...

"Oppie" wrote in message ...
"ian field" wrote in message
Could you have had a forgotten about install of something like winio on
the XP box.

ISTR having to install a special driver for my Velleman PIC programmer
because XP restricts access to IO ports.

Needhams provided a utility that allowed the program to communicate
'directly' to the port instead of through the NT drivers. The program was
called 'EMPNT'. I have to look more into this to see if that is the sticking
point. Perhaps I need to run this in compatibility mode???
Runs fine with XP Pro. Never tried it with Vista but am definitely having
hiccups with Win7.

I found this system on Needham's web site. Maybe it will work.

I guessed that I should RAR this, since EXE's are frowned upon. Sorry.

It is still an exe. Duh.

Yeah, a Self-Extracting Archive, inside a RAR archive. Duh yourself. 8^)

Double duh on you then, as you could have removed
the first layer and made it simply a rar file. :-)

I'm just trying to help the guy get his programmer working.

What is it you are trying to accomplish here?

Since you seemed so worried that he (and seemingly others) would be
deterred by the exe, removing it completely, since it was just an
envelope, was logical thing to mention.

It was also a bit amusing to pretty much anyone but the most stolid
dolt. I didn't get the impression that you were such a person.

jeez.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message ...
"ian field" wrote in message
Could you have had a forgotten about install of something like winio on
the XP box.

ISTR having to install a special driver for my Velleman PIC programmer
because XP restricts access to IO ports.

Needhams provided a utility that allowed the program to communicate
'directly' to the port instead of through the NT drivers. The program was
called 'EMPNT'. I have to look more into this to see if that is the sticking
point. Perhaps I need to run this in compatibility mode???
Runs fine with XP Pro. Never tried it with Vista but am definitely having
hiccups with Win7.

I found this system on Needham's web site. Maybe it will work.

I guessed that I should RAR this, since EXE's are frowned upon. Sorry.

Ok, here's a non-self-extracting archive. It's all good.

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Bill Garber" wrote in message

I found this system on Needham's web site. Maybe it will work.

Bill

Thanks anyway. I had that already - both the dos and windows versions as
well as the empnt utility.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Bill Garber" wrote in message
I guessed that I should RAR this, since EXE's are frowned upon. Sorry.

Bill

Rog-O. I had to play games with Windows live mail to even get to see the exe
file. RAR or Zip is generally preferred.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message

"Bill Garber" wrote in message ...

I found this system on Needham's web site. Maybe it will work.

Bill

Thanks anyway. I had that already - both the dos and windows versions as well as the empnt utility.

Yeah, that EMPNT thing. I ran it and from then on, I couldn't
get my GALEP-3 to initialize. It kept saying that the printer
port was used by another program. Had to jump threw hoops of
fire to figure out why. Finally found out that 'EMPDRV.SYS'
in the system32/drivers folder had to be deleted and then
restart the system, twice. After that my programmer worked
again. In case you still haven't gotten anywhere, you might
need to get rid of that before the other will work.

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:15:40 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:
Printers are an interesting case too: Usually "basic printing" support is
extended through several OS cycles, but the extended features of
multi-function devices (scanning, FAXing, etc.) is often not provided even
for
fairly popular models.

I notice no mention of "net use" whatsoever. You must really know a lot
about Windows to have missed that one.

If you read what I posted again, you'll see it has nothing whatsoever to do
with printing from legacy environments.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
At least you can get a usb to rs232 converter that will most likely work.
I've tried usb to parallel port converters (on XP) and found that while they
work great for parallel port printers, they are useless for parallel port
JTAG or EPROM programmers.

Exactly -- serial ports have been accessed as "serial ports" ever since the
days of DOS in almost every serial peripherals ever made... whereas printer
ports were accessed as "bit-banged I/O" (rather than "printer ports") with
JTAG/EEPROM programmers, which is considered kinda hackish in any
"heavyweight" OS. (...anything that wants to poke directly at the hardware is
"supposed" to be done via a "proper" device driver) -- the USB to parallel
port converters such "printer port"-style access, but not bit-banged-style
access (and even if they did, the timing would probably be so far off as to be
unusable).

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
I wonder if the PCIe mini form factor would be a good place for such a
thing. Simply because then, nearly any nettop or small form factor setup
out there that has it, could get interrupt level hooks.

But how are you going to physically cable up the connector?

There are PCMCIA and Cardbus (PCI) parallel port cards avaialble for laptops,
although I realize that many smaller laptops/netbooks don't have slots for
those either.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Needhams EMP30 EPROM programmer on Win7 | Update

"Oppie" wrote in message
"ian field" wrote in message
Could you have had a forgotten about install of something like winio on
the XP box.

ISTR having to install a special driver for my Velleman PIC programmer
because XP restricts access to IO ports.

Needhams provided a utility that allowed the program to communicate
'directly' to the port instead of through the NT drivers. The program was
called 'EMPNT'. I have to look more into this to see if that is the
sticking point. Perhaps I need to run this in compatibility mode???
Runs fine with XP Pro. Never tried it with Vista but am definitely having
hiccups with Win7.

I looked up WinIO http://www.internals.com/utilities/winio.zip
Since the direct parallel port access is most likely the issue, will try
this on Win7 at a later point. In the mean time, I have the programmer
running on another XP Pro machine. Interesting that the DOS version
installed and ran fine. The Win version gave an install error that the
200.dll was missing. Did a second install and all was good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I get anywhere with Win7, I'll be sure to
write it here.
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Bill Garber" wrote in message

Just to clarify...
That was the DOS version of Needhams EMP30 program. I have up to 4.18 in dos
and 1.6 in windows versions.

Appreciate the help!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
"Oppie" wrote in message ...
"ian field" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thank you, and good programming to you.

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:
Printers are an interesting case too: Usually "basic printing" support is
extended through several OS cycles, but the extended features of
multi-function devices (scanning, FAXing, etc.) is often not provided even
for
fairly popular models.

I notice no mention of "net use" whatsoever. You must really know a lot
about Windows to have missed that one.

If you read what I posted again, you'll see it has nothing whatsoever to do
with printing from legacy environments.

Neither does net use really. It allows attachment, period. Doesn't
care what the device is. It attaches ports to net calls, even on the
local machine.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:35:29 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
.. .
I wonder if the PCIe mini form factor would be a good place for such a
thing. Simply because then, nearly any nettop or small form factor setup
out there that has it, could get interrupt level hooks.

But how are you going to physically cable up the connector?

There are PCMCIA and Cardbus (PCI) parallel port cards avaialble for laptops,
although I realize that many smaller laptops/netbooks don't have slots for
those either.

My nettop has a "slot" on the mobo and I can put a 'port' in the case
that allows the cable to pass.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:11:47 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

"Bill Garber" wrote in message
m...

Just to clarify...
That was the DOS version of Needhams EMP30 program. I have up to 4.18 in dos
and 1.6 in windows versions.

Appreciate the help!

Get a parallel port card. USB dongles don't work right because
timing cannot be assured.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:47:25 +0000, Baron wrote:

Joel Koltner Inscribed thus:

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM programmer
is the kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer a very good
idea.

Maybe not. I've a perfectly good RS232 programmer that is effectively
scrap because the production machine doesn't have the correct ports.

I will have accessible serial ports for many years to come. Does it
have a good parts library? I might yet get some use out of it.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

AwlSome Auger Inscribed thus:

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM
programmer is the kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer
a very good idea.

Maybe not. I've a perfectly good RS232 programmer that is effectively
scrap because the production machine doesn't have the correct ports.

Meters, console connections on rack mount computers... all kinds of
RS-232 still out there. We end up having to buy converters to RS-422
or others.

http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/RS2322USB.htm

many others.

Interesting ! Thanks for pointer and the link.

What's this! AW posted something useful!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:43:37 +0000, Baron wrote:

Oppie Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
Oppie Inscribed thus:

We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and
working fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old
machine was replaced with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying
to get it to connect. Ran the original empnt program which was
required to make the connection to a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI
parallel port card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to
the programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the
programmer on another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Nuke W7 & put XP on.

Yes, that was my first inclination. Unfortunately, we need a sandbox
machine to test compatibility of our own software products. I have the
Needhams EMPwin V1.6 release archived and will move the programmer to
another (XP) machine.

Modern times bring modern problems.

Too True ! Even the good old RS232 ports have gone. Just about every new
machine seems to have only USB ports.

And Ethernet. Soon you will be seeing USB 3.0 to and eSATA ports.
Those are fast.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"JosephKK" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:11:47 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

"Bill Garber" wrote in message
om...

Just to clarify...
That was the DOS version of Needhams EMP30 program. I have up to 4.18 in
dos
and 1.6 in windows versions.

Appreciate the help!

Get a parallel port card. USB dongles don't work right because
timing cannot be assured.

Tried a parallel port card. I can print from it but the needham's program
won't talk to it.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:
"JosephKK" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:11:47 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

"Bill Garber" wrote in message
Just to clarify...
That was the DOS version of Needhams EMP30 program. I have up to 4.18 in
dos
and 1.6 in windows versions.

Appreciate the help!

Get a parallel port card. USB dongles don't work right because
timing cannot be assured.

Tried a parallel port card. I can print from it but the needham's program
won't talk to it.

Try "userprt.zip"(google) to force access, works in xp, dont know about
the later ones.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

JosephKK Inscribed thus:

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM
programmer is the kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer
a very good idea.

Maybe not. I've a perfectly good RS232 programmer that is effectively
scrap because the production machine doesn't have the correct ports.

Note I did say "Production Machine", that doesn't mean I can't use it
elsewhere. :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

JosephKK Inscribed thus:

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM
programmer is the kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer
a very good idea.

Maybe not. I've a perfectly good RS232 programmer that is effectively
scrap because the production machine doesn't have the correct ports.

Note I did say "Production Machine", that doesn't mean I can't use it
elsewhere. :-)

I will have accessible serial ports for many years to come. Does it
have a good parts library? I might yet get some use out of it.

Always looking for a good deal.