Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Needhams EMP30 EPROM programmer on Win7

We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and working
fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine was replaced
with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it to connect.
Ran the original empnt program which was required to make the connection to
a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel port
card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer on
another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie Inscribed thus:

We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and
working fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine
was replaced with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it
to connect. Ran the original empnt program which was required to make
the connection to a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel
port card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the
programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer
on another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

Nuke W7 & put XP on.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Baron" wrote in message
Oppie Inscribed thus:

We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and
working fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine
was replaced with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it
to connect. Ran the original empnt program which was required to make
the connection to a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel
port card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the
programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer
on another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Nuke W7 & put XP on.

Yes, that was my first inclination. Unfortunately, we need a sandbox machine
to test compatibility of our own software products. I have the Needhams
EMPwin V1.6 release archived and will move the programmer to another (XP)
machine.

Modern times bring modern problems.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
"Baron" wrote in message
Oppie Inscribed thus:

[...]

Could you have had a forgotten about install of something like winio on the
XP box.

ISTR having to install a special driver for my Velleman PIC programmer
because XP restricts access to IO ports.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"ian field" wrote in message
Could you have had a forgotten about install of something like winio on
the XP box.

ISTR having to install a special driver for my Velleman PIC programmer
because XP restricts access to IO ports.

Needhams provided a utility that allowed the program to communicate
'directly' to the port instead of through the NT drivers. The program was
called 'EMPNT'. I have to look more into this to see if that is the sticking
point. Perhaps I need to run this in compatibility mode???
Runs fine with XP Pro. Never tried it with Vista but am definitely having
hiccups with Win7.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:46:44 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message
Could you have had a forgotten about install of something like winio on
the XP box.

ISTR having to install a special driver for my Velleman PIC programmer
because XP restricts access to IO ports.

Needhams provided a utility that allowed the program to communicate
'directly' to the port instead of through the NT drivers. The program was
called 'EMPNT'. I have to look more into this to see if that is the sticking
point. Perhaps I need to run this in compatibility mode???
Runs fine with XP Pro. Never tried it with Vista but am definitely having
hiccups with Win7.

I notice that no one has even mentioned how well the NET use commands
work but me. Maybe it is no longer available.

Funny, that we still use the basic Windows modem software though :-)

Anyone tried "Windows Power Shell" yet?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message ...
"ian field" wrote in message
Could you have had a forgotten about install of something like winio on
the XP box.

ISTR having to install a special driver for my Velleman PIC programmer
because XP restricts access to IO ports.

Needhams provided a utility that allowed the program to communicate
'directly' to the port instead of through the NT drivers. The program was
called 'EMPNT'. I have to look more into this to see if that is the sticking
point. Perhaps I need to run this in compatibility mode???
Runs fine with XP Pro. Never tried it with Vista but am definitely having
hiccups with Win7.

I found this system on Needham's web site. Maybe it will work.

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Needhams EMP30 EPROM programmer on Win7 | Update

"Oppie" wrote in message
"ian field" wrote in message
Could you have had a forgotten about install of something like winio on
the XP box.

ISTR having to install a special driver for my Velleman PIC programmer
because XP restricts access to IO ports.

Needhams provided a utility that allowed the program to communicate
'directly' to the port instead of through the NT drivers. The program was
called 'EMPNT'. I have to look more into this to see if that is the
sticking point. Perhaps I need to run this in compatibility mode???
Runs fine with XP Pro. Never tried it with Vista but am definitely having
hiccups with Win7.

I looked up WinIO http://www.internals.com/utilities/winio.zip
Since the direct parallel port access is most likely the issue, will try
this on Win7 at a later point. In the mean time, I have the programmer
running on another XP Pro machine. Interesting that the DOS version
installed and ran fine. The Win version gave an install error that the
200.dll was missing. Did a second install and all was good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I get anywhere with Win7, I'll be sure to
write it here.
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:08:22 -0500, "Oppie"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Oppie Inscribed thus:

[...]

Modern minds solve them before crying to the windowphobic Usenet retard
crowd too.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM programmer is the
kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer a very good idea.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:33:18 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM programmer is the
kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer a very good idea.

As if throughput is an issue. The programmer does the programming. The
port only passes the code segments to it. The buffering in the
programmer does a fine job, and why would someone need some suped up
interface bus to program a chip that has no speed requisite?

Even jtag style programming directly at the chip is not that fast of a
data rate.

"no longer a very good idea..." Why?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"FatBytestard" wrote in message
"no longer a very good idea..." Why?

Because most everyone who used printer ports wanted to just bit-bang the pins
high or low from some random user-mode program, which is the kind of thing
that modern operating systems genereally don't support -- it was pretty
self-evident that there'd be long-term compatibility problems.

I used to have an EPROM programmer that connected via the serial port and,
despite having it back in 1990, I bet it would still work just fine today!

Granted, if you fully intend to keep older PCs or operating systems around
anyway, then there's certainly nothing wrong with just buying what works at
the time. But most people do what the OP did -- buy newer hardware and OSes,
and then end up plagued with compatibility problems.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Joel Koltner Inscribed thus:

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM programmer
is the kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer a very good
idea.

Maybe not. I've a perfectly good RS232 programmer that is effectively
scrap because the production machine doesn't have the correct ports.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM programmer
is the kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer a very good
idea.

Maybe not. I've a perfectly good RS232 programmer that is effectively
scrap because the production machine doesn't have the correct ports.

Meters, console connections on rack mount computers... all kinds of
RS-232 still out there. We end up having to buy converters to RS-422 or
others.

http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/RS2322USB.htm

many others.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

At least you can get a usb to rs232 converter that will most likely work.
I've tried usb to parallel port converters (on XP) and found that while they
work great for parallel port printers, they are useless for parallel port
JTAG or EPROM programmers.
Oppie

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM programmer
is the kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer a very good
idea.

Maybe not. I've a perfectly good RS232 programmer that is effectively
scrap because the production machine doesn't have the correct ports.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
Modern times bring modern problems.

Yes, although using a printer port to interface to an EPROM programmer
is the kind of thing that even 10 years ago was no longer a very good
idea.

Maybe not. I've a perfectly good RS232 programmer that is effectively
scrap because the production machine doesn't have the correct ports.

I will have accessible serial ports for many years to come. Does it
have a good parts library? I might yet get some use out of it.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:08:22 -0500, "Oppie"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Oppie Inscribed thus:

[...]

Another thing you can (and maybe should) do is to buy a nice big hard
drive to replace that one. set up the drive with multiple volumes.

Copy the windows 7 volume over using a clone app.

Fix the MBR so that Windows 7 runs, if needed. Install a boot loader
that copies the MBR and saves it so that it can "boot from original MBR"
as a selection. A good boot loader is XOSL. Grub2 is another.

Load XP SP3 slipstreamed install disc and install XP onto one of the
other volumes.

You will likely still need to do some things in your MOBO bios to get
the PCI card recognized correctly by the Bily Boy paradigm, but it is not
all that hard to do.

I run several OSes on nearly all of my boxes.

I have EMP20. getting 30 would be nice. Is it free?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
Oppie Inscribed thus:

[...]

Too True ! Even the good old RS232 ports have gone. Just about every new
machine seems to have only USB ports.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:43:37 +0000, Baron wrote:

Oppie Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
Oppie Inscribed thus:

[...]

And Ethernet. Soon you will be seeing USB 3.0 to and eSATA ports.
Those are fast.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:29:21 +0000, Baron
wrote:

Oppie Inscribed thus:

We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and
working fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine
was replaced with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it
to connect. Ran the original empnt program which was required to make
the connection to a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel
port card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the
programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer
on another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

Nuke W7 & put XP on.

Totally retarded response from a total computer retard.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:
We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and working
fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine was replaced
with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it to connect.
Ran the original empnt program which was required to make the connection to
a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel port
card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer on
another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

Old machine from ebay,with xp sp2 on it and use "userprt.zip"(google)
to allow access to the printer port.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
Oppie wrote:
We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and working
fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine was
replaced with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it to
connect.
Ran the original empnt program which was required to make the connection
to a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel
port card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the
programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer on
another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

Old machine from ebay,with xp sp2 on it and use "userprt.zip"(google)
to allow access to the printer port.

Does that also work on FDDs?

I have a favourite drive excerciser/disk cleaning program that won't work
under XP.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:
[...]

The userprt sofware opens access to any range of ports,
but mostly used to get access to serial and parr ports,
to connect older equipment and allow older software to
control.
Last I used it was for an old win95 navigation program,
that read the serial ports directly for GPS data.
I have not tried it for the floppies,but there is no
reason why it would not work.
(Oh, and userprt costs 0.0 ).
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Sjouke Burry Inscribed thus:

Oppie wrote:
[...]

Which is fine if the machine has the physical connections to support
those ports, an awful lot of machines don't.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:
[...]

I wonder if the PCIe mini form factor would be a good place for such a
thing. Simply because then, nearly any nettop or small form factor setup
out there that has it, could get interrupt level hooks.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:43:02 -0500, "Oppie"
wrote:

We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and working
fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine was replaced
with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it to connect.
Ran the original empnt program which was required to make the connection to
a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel port
card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer on
another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

B&K model 844USB.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and working
fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine was replaced
with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it to connect.
Ran the original empnt program which was required to make the connection to
a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel port
card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer on
another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

B&K model 844USB.

John

It is discontinued, idiot. What does that tell you about Vista or
Windows 7 compliance with that old Windows app it uses? D'oh!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I just bought an 844 a couple of weeks ago, along with a neat little
Samsung netbook PC to run it.

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/...interface.html

It works fine, and it's only $500. I'll probably get another one soon.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
We had our Needhams programmer running on an XP Pro machine and
working fine... right up until the machine went belly-up. Old machine
was replaced with a Windows 7 box. So far, no luck in trying to get it
to connect.
Ran the original empnt program which was required to make the
connection to a parallel port.

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel
port card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the
programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer
on another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

have you tried GIVEIO.zip. Remaps IO space to allow programs to access
memory to bit bang IO's.
You might have had it on the old XP machine. Not sure it works on 7 but
it just might.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

The Win7 box did not have a parallel port but we put in a PCI parallel port
card. Card is recognized but still can not connect to the programmer.

Tried the usual install things, compatibility modes and run as
administrator. Still no luck. Before I give up and put the programmer on
another machine, has anybody got recommendations?

Thanks - Oppie

You have to go into your mobo bios and set up the interrupt manually