Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Telemarketing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7YEbpjCeqg

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:11:57 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7YEbpjCeqg

I have both Tom Mabe's CD's. You should NOT listen on a full stomach,
you'll laugh so hard you'll throw up ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7YEbpjCeqg

I have both Tom Mabe's CD's. You should NOT listen on a full stomach,
you'll laugh so hard you'll throw up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You know, whenever I try that, they always hang up before it gets
nearly that far. Has Tom Mabe ever done the foreign servant answering?
That's one of my favorite ones, and with caller ID, you can almost
always tell when you can do it before you even answer. :-)))))))

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7YEbpjCeqg

I have both Tom Mabe's CD's. You should NOT listen on a full stomach,
you'll laugh so hard you'll throw up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You know, whenever I try that, they always hang up before it gets
nearly that far. Has Tom Mabe ever done the foreign servant answering?
That's one of my favorite ones, and with caller ID, you can almost
always tell when you can do it before you even answer. :-)))))))

Bill

I can't pull that sort of thing off, I'd get the giggles myself ;-)

On a similar note: Anyone familiar enough with modern telephone
circuitry to devise (or suggest) the following... re-wire phone so
that ringer is disconnected ONLY for the first ring?

Note that I said "ringer", I want the phone electronics, in particular
the CID sensing, to see the ring voltage, so that CID is displayed
BEFORE an audible "ring".

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:32:20 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Anyone feel like knocking together a schematic for a caller ID unit that
switches the call to a different answering machine if no CID is detected -
preferably the OGM on the 2nd answering machine will be suitably offensive?

Must work on UK phones.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

On a similar note: Anyone familiar enough with modern telephone
circuitry to devise (or suggest) the following... re-wire phone so
that ringer is disconnected ONLY for the first ring?

Note that I said "ringer", I want the phone electronics, in particular
the CID sensing, to see the ring voltage, so that CID is displayed
BEFORE an audible "ring".

Knew it was a dumb question just as soon as I posted...

The telephone right here in front of me has a switch to turn off the
ringer :-)

So only a ring detect and relay AT the phone.

At telephone service entry, detect "800", etc, during this interval,
block further ringing voltage.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ian field wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:32:20 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Do you need two answering machines ?

Years ago when I purchased my first 9600 baud modem, the modem also had
voice/CID capability.

The software that came with the modem had an answering feature based on
the incoming CID.

A different message could be played with each CID.

If the CID was welcome, the phone connected to the pass thru port would
ring.

Google for awhile, I am sure its still out there.

hamilton

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:32:20 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

[...]

The only modems I have need to be connected to a PC to work - and I don't
fancy the electricity bill for leaving a 200W PSU running 24/7!

Also the modems I have were all S/hand and don't have the full featured
utils disks with them - only the bare minimum drivers I found online.

What's needed is a simple automated switch box, if CID is detected it routes
the call to my regular answerphone with a polite OGM, if no CID is detected
then it routes the call to a second answephone with an offensive OGM.

Preferably based on an Arizona microchip PIC as I have a programmer for that
family.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Telemarketing. - Ring Detection

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:32:02 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

On a similar note: Anyone familiar enough with modern telephone
circuitry to devise (or suggest) the following... re-wire phone so
that ringer is disconnected ONLY for the first ring?

Note that I said "ringer", I want the phone electronics, in particular
the CID sensing, to see the ring voltage, so that CID is displayed
BEFORE an audible "ring".

Knew it was a dumb question just as soon as I posted...

The telephone right here in front of me has a switch to turn off the
ringer :-)

So only a ring detect and relay AT the phone.

[snip]

Maybe NOT so simple. Open relay on first-ring-only, ignore further
ringing voltage... HOW?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

On a similar note: Anyone familiar enough with modern telephone
circuitry to devise (or suggest) the following... re-wire phone so
that ringer is disconnected ONLY for the first ring?

Note that I said "ringer", I want the phone electronics, in particular
the CID sensing, to see the ring voltage, so that CID is displayed
BEFORE an audible "ring".

Knew it was a dumb question just as soon as I posted...

The telephone right here in front of me has a switch to turn off the
ringer :-)

So only a ring detect and relay AT the phone.

At telephone service entry, detect "800", etc, during this interval,
block further ringing voltage.

Connect the ringers to a spare wire, and let your interface turn on
all the ringers by connecting them to the proper side of the phone line.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:54:12 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

On a similar note: Anyone familiar enough with modern telephone
circuitry to devise (or suggest) the following... re-wire phone so
that ringer is disconnected ONLY for the first ring?

Note that I said "ringer", I want the phone electronics, in particular
the CID sensing, to see the ring voltage, so that CID is displayed
BEFORE an audible "ring".

Knew it was a dumb question just as soon as I posted...

The telephone right here in front of me has a switch to turn off the
ringer :-)

So only a ring detect and relay AT the phone.

At telephone service entry, detect "800", etc, during this interval,
block further ringing voltage.

Connect the ringers to a spare wire, and let your interface turn on
all the ringers by connecting them to the proper side of the phone line.

This house isn't as nice as the old one out north in the desert...
there I had a telephone bundle the size of my thumb running throughout
the house :-)

But I do have a spare pair... I dumped the fax line and switched to an
Internet fax arrangement... 1/6th the cost.

And the V-Tech (portable) phones seem already to have this feature,
they seem to wake-up, read CID, then ring.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I need to get rid of ab out 35 fax machines. I'll probably just
attack them with the cordless screwdriver and a hammer. People ask for
them, but want full ink or toner cartridiges and a case of paper when
you offer them for free.

And the V-Tech (portable) phones seem already to have this feature,
they seem to wake-up, read CID, then ring.

Sometimes newer isn't better. It was easy to modify old WE or S-C
phones for all kinds of options.

Since your V-Tech already has that part covered, all you need is to
read the CID, and disconnect them from the line while your custom
hardware either disconnects the line, or sends it to an answering
machine. A marketable product would either allow you to select which
way you want to connect the phone, or have to jacks to allow the use of
both types of phones at the same time. A lookup table would make quick
work of identifying blocked numbers, and flash memory is cheap, these
days. The hardware could either be stand alone, or run in the
background on a PC that runs 24/7.

I would take on the design if my shop was usable, but it's going to
cost over $10,000 to replace the 1600 square foot roof and finish the
other repairs. The other problem would be that I can't get caller ID on
my Lifeline phone service.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:57:51 -0000, "ian field" wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:32:20 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

[...]

Why bother with a second answering machine? With the PIC you already have enough
to just do it.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

On a similar note: Anyone familiar enough with modern telephone
circuitry to devise (or suggest) the following... re-wire phone so
that ringer is disconnected ONLY for the first ring?

Note that I said "ringer", I want the phone electronics, in particular
the CID sensing, to see the ring voltage, so that CID is displayed
BEFORE an audible "ring".

Knew it was a dumb question just as soon as I posted...

The telephone right here in front of me has a switch to turn off the
ringer :-)

So only a ring detect and relay AT the phone.

[snip]

Maybe NOT so simple. Open relay on first-ring-only, ignore further
ringing voltage... HOW?

...Jim Thompson

Actually you have it sideways. Block ringing voltage, get recognized CID
and close relay, all phones ring. You must pass through the CID as it
comes in or replicate it. Both options are straight forward.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"JosephKK" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:57:51 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:32:20 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

[...]

As I mentioned in another post, the original scheme I thought of probably
won't work.

The one particularly persistent telemarketer was able to defeat the
anonymous caller reject VM were charging me an extra £2 a month for,
presumably they were sending CID between the rings so they got through. But
when I dialled 1471 to get their number I got a recorded message that the
service has cleared.

A PIC 16F627 that does nothing more than decode and store the last 5 CIDs
and allow me to scroll through them on a 44780 style LCD would enable me to
report the nuisance telemarketer to the telephone preference service.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ian field wrote:

A PIC 16F627 that does nothing more than decode and store the last 5 CIDs
and allow me to scroll through them on a 44780 style LCD would enable me to
report the nuisance telemarketer to the telephone preference service.

If all you want is to record CID numbers, an off the shelf CID could be
had very cheap.

Also, sometime ago here in the US, someone sued a telemarketer and used
their CID box to prove that there were an excessive number of calls.

A CID box that can not to be tampered with was admitted as evidence.

hamilton
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Nope, you have it sideways.

Ring voltage is required to "arm" CID acquisition.

"Replicate" is straight forward? Explain.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:

A PIC 16F627 that does nothing more than decode and store the last 5 CIDs
and allow me to scroll through them on a 44780 style LCD would enable me
to report the nuisance telemarketer to the telephone preference service.

If all you want is to record CID numbers, an off the shelf CID could be
had very cheap.

Also, sometime ago here in the US, someone sued a telemarketer and used
their CID box to prove that there were an excessive number of calls.

A CID box that can not to be tampered with was admitted as evidence.

Where can I get one & how much?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

It doesn't have to hit the ringer, though.

"Replicate" is straight forward? Explain.

--
What?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Nope. But that operation has to be accomplished at the telephone, not
at the service entrance unless...

"Replicate" is straight forward? Explain.

Replication solves some issues, creates others, such as coping with
desired "features" such as call forwarding and voice mail.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
A PIC 16F627 that does nothing more than decode and store the last 5 CIDs
and allow me to scroll through them on a 44780 style LCD would enable me
to report the nuisance telemarketer to the telephone preference service.

If all you want is to record CID numbers, an off the shelf CID could be
had very cheap.

Also, sometime ago here in the US, someone sued a telemarketer and used
their CID box to prove that there were an excessive number of calls.

A CID box that can not to be tampered with was admitted as evidence.

Where can I get one & how much?

If I remember correctly, you are in the UK.

Google has over 2M hits for "caller ID box".

On the first page, the hits are all in the US.

"caller ID nox UK" has 260K hits.

This is the first one:
http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/boxes.htm

Good Luck

hamilton
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Ring voltage is required to "arm" CID acquisition.

It doesn't have to hit the ringer, though.

Nope. But that operation has to be accomplished at the telephone, not
at the service entrance unless...

"Replicate" is straight forward? Explain.

Replication solves some issues, creates others, such as coping with
desired "features" such as call forwarding and voice mail.

You are trying to make it too complicated.

Disable the ringers and connect ALL of them to a spare conductor in
the four conductor station wire. (Yellow or Black wires.) Then connect
it to the line when you want the phones to ring. Process the CID. If
you want the phones to ring for that call, close a set of relay contacts
to activate the ringers. If the call is to be ignored, use another
relay to to put a 600 ohm resistor across the line for a few seconds to
answer, then drop the call. A third relay could redirect the call to
your answering machine.

If you need them, there are external ringers that can be used to let
you know a valid call is waiting.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I'd already googled for the DIY approach, but I didn't use that
search string - I got a schematic for a 16F628 but it uses a 8870 which none
of the suppliers I use carry anymore and no code.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

I just did a search for caller ID decoder chip and also found none
available.

Looks like this technology is just too 1990.

I know I have a few chips from projects I did in the 1990s, but they
won't help you in the UK.

Looking at surplus houses will be the only recourse.

Good Luck

hamilton
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

With a bit more searching, I found a page with the 16F628A CLID box
including firmware files:

http://www.picbasic.nl/frameload_uk....rmelder_uk.htm

The listings are given as pages - not *.HEX & *.BAS files, I've done select
all copy/paste into freshly created *.TXT files - is it sufficient to rename
the extensions appropriately?

That just leaves me with the problem of where I can get an 8870 DTMF
receiver (or equivalent).

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:44:51 -0000, the renowned "ian field"
wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

Futurlec lists it for cheap.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

How much is minimum order and shipping from US to UK?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

I must have missed something.

The 8870 is a DTMF only device, don't you want CID ??

Is CID that much different in the UK the the US ??

Here is a data sheet of the 8870:
http://www.futurlec.com/Datasheet/Zarlink/MT8870DE.pdf

According to this site:
http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

"British Telecom developed their own standard, which wakes up the
display with a line reversal, then sends the data as CCITT V23 modem
tones in a format similar to MDMF. "

Is this standard DTMF ??

hamilton

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

The schematic I found has an 8870 between the phone line and the 16F628A -
It came up on a google search for: "microchip PIC + caller ID"., maybe I
need to double check the accompanying text.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ian field wrote:
wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

I think I have found the confusion from he

http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

"An esoteric DTMF system is used in Finland, Denmark, Iceland, the
Netherlands,India (?), Belgium, Sweden, Brazil, Saudi Arabia and Uruguay."

..nl is the Nethernands, right ??

hamilton
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:33:02 -0700, hamilton
wrote:

[snip]

.nl is the Nethernands, right ??

hamilton

"Nethernands"? Is that something like an Exclusive OR ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:32:44 -0700, hamilton wrote:

ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message

snip

Thanks - I'd already googled for the DIY approach, but I didn't use that
search string - I got a schematic for a 16F628 but it uses a 8870 which none
of the suppliers I use carry anymore and no code.

I just did a search for caller ID decoder chip and also found none
available.

It is just a simple variation of a 1200 baud (bell 202) modem here in the US.

Looks like this technology is just too 1990.

I know I have a few chips from projects I did in the 1990s, but they
won't help you in the UK.

Looking at surplus houses will be the only recourse.

Good Luck

hamilton

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

That is why it is blocked to the rest of the phones initially, so that
they do not ring.

"Replicate" is straight forward? Explain.

...Jim Thompson

There are two fairly obvious ways;
1) simple audio digitize and playback with telecom style cvsd ADC/store/DAC;
2) since you have already captured the data, replicate it with 1200 baud
modem tones.

For those not in the US the second method may not work.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

In both cases the primary result is to reduce the number of audible rings before
that action takes place.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:47:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Could you draw that up, with chips and passive values specified ?:-)

2) since you have already captured the data, replicate it with 1200 baud
modem tones.

For those not in the US the second method may not work.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

JosephKK wrote:

It is just a simple variation of a 1200 baud (bell 202) modem here in the US.

Yes, this is correct.

Now, does any chip manufacture produce these chips any longer.

hamilton

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link - looks like plenty to read there.