Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Coleman Exciter Circuit

This is a drawing of the Coleman Powermate exciter circuit. (Pro-Gen 5000)
J1 goes to the two 19 turn coils wired in series in the stator.
On my generator the cap was defective and only one of the 19 turn coils was
overheated.
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Coleman Exciter Circuit-coleman-exciter-circuit-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Good to know. I have a similar 5KW coleman (red case, all outlets on end of
generator).
We ran the whole house off of it for almost a week following the big storms
a couple of years ago. Only thing it wouldn't run was the startup surge of
the old Maytag washer.
Oppie

"amdx" wrote in message
This is a drawing of the Coleman Powermate exciter circuit. (Pro-Gen 5000)
J1 goes to the two 19 turn coils wired in series in the stator.
On my generator the cap was defective and only one of the 19 turn coils
was overheated.
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
Good to know. I have a similar 5KW coleman (red case, all outlets on end
of generator).
We ran the whole house off of it for almost a week following the big
storms a couple of years ago. Only thing it wouldn't run was the startup
surge of the old Maytag washer.
Oppie

Hey Oppie,
There's a little more info in a thread on sci.electronics.design if your
interested.
Subject: Coleman Powermate

"amdx" wrote in message
This is a drawing of the Coleman Powermate exciter circuit. (Pro-Gen
5000)
J1 goes to the two 19 turn coils wired in series in the stator.
On my generator the cap was defective and only one of the 19 turn coils
was overheated.
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message

"amdx" wrote in message
This is a drawing of the Coleman Powermate exciter circuit. (Pro-Gen
5000)
J1 goes to the two 19 turn coils wired in series in the stator.
On my generator the cap was defective and only one of the 19 turn coils
was overheated.
Mike

Interesting thread. Glad to hear you got yours running and sorry to hear
that they closed doors on the factory.

Don't rush me Oppie,
I haven't got it working yet. I rewound the coil, varnished and baked
it twice. Now I'm waiting on the capacitor.
Mike :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"BobW" wrote in message

"amdx" wrote in message
Interesting thread. Glad to hear you got yours running and sorry to hear
that they closed doors on the factory.

Don't rush me Oppie,
I haven't got it working yet. I rewound the coil, varnished and baked
it twice. Now I'm waiting on the capacitor.
Mike :-)

Hurry up, Mike! You fill us with anticipation and then you make us wait.
Very inconsiderate.

8-}

Bob

Ok, Bob here's the end story.
I started the Coleman Generator problem thread about two weeks ago.
It quit producing power after about 1 hr 15 min.
After dissassembly I found an overheated exciter coil, a defective capacitor
and a burned open foil on the pcb.
I removed the bad 19 turn coil and wound a new one in the stator. I got
a quart of motor varnish at a motor repair shop and revarnished the coil.
I baked the stator in my wifes oven! I varnished and baked the unit twice
just for safety.
(I did note that one of the fiber insulators was not properly placed in the
stator, I think this is where the coil rubbed the stator and shorted,
causing the failure) I replaced the bad capacitor and repaired the open
foil.
This morning I reassembled the unit and fired it up. It works!
I applied a 3300 watt load and it's been running almost 4 hrs at 119.2
volts.
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"amdx" wrote in message

[...]

Congratulations. Now the biggest problem is trying to store enough gas to
run the generator through an extended outage. I was giving some thought to a
diesel genset that could run from my heating oil tank. That was too
expensive so instead considering a Tri-fuel that starts on gas but can then
shift over to either Natural gas or Propane.

I was using my 5kw Coleman this past weekend to run a MIG welder from. Much
better welds than using the somewhat sag prone garage outlet. Always good to
run the machine for a bit now and then, shut of the fuel supply and run
what's left out of the carburetor. We have a neighbor that forgot to do this
and never shut off the fuel. wound up with the remains of about a gallon of
gas evaporated in the carb along with it's sludge. Was beyond cleaning. Just
ordered a new carb for him.

Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

amdx wrote:
"BobW" wrote in message
"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have time to post some pics ?

donald
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:03:00 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Ok, Bob here's the end story.

I removed the bad 19 turn coil and wound a new one in the stator. I got
a quart of motor varnish at a motor repair shop and revarnished the coil.
I baked the stator in my wifes oven! I varnished and baked the unit twice
just for safety.

How much did the new oven cost? GDR
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

amdx wrote:

Ok, Bob here's the end story.

(snip)
I removed the bad 19 turn coil and wound a new one in the stator. I got
a quart of motor varnish at a motor repair shop and revarnished the coil.
I baked the stator in my wifes oven! I varnished and baked the unit twice
just for safety.
(I did note that one of the fiber insulators was not properly placed in the
stator, I think this is where the coil rubbed the stator and shorted,
causing the failure) I replaced the bad capacitor and repaired the open
foil.
This morning I reassembled the unit and fired it up. It works!
I applied a 3300 watt load and it's been running almost 4 hrs at 119.2
volts.

Congratulations, Mike. It is good to hear a story with a
happy ending , once in a while.

Which capacitor did you use?

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:54:46 -0700, BobW wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message

[snip]
Always good to run the machine for a bit now and then, shut of the fuel
supply and run what's left out of the carburetor. We have a neighbor
that forgot to do this and never shut off the fuel. wound up with the
remains of about a gallon of gas evaporated in the carb along with it's
sludge. Was beyond cleaning. Just ordered a new carb for him.

Oppie

I was under the impression that shutting off the fuel supply and running
it dry was the way to go. Now, from experience, I've found this to not be
the case.

When I used that technique on one of my carbureted motorcycles, its slow
speed jet still got clogged after sitting for about a year. This is
because there's no way to insure that some gasoline will not still remain
in the carburetor, enter this tiny jet, and eventually dry out and gum-up
the jet.

So, I did some further research and here's what I do now:

1) Fill the gas tank full to minimize evaporation. 2) Add fuel stabilizer
to the gas and run it long enough to insure the carburetor is full of
stabilized gas, too. This is the greatest contributor in reducing
evaporation and gummy bear creation. 3) Keep the fuel valve open so the
carburetor parts stay wet. 4) Keep the choke closed to further reduce
evaporation from the carburetor.

Certainly, periodic running of the engine is a good thing.

Bob

Most generators probably don't have a carb with a slow speed jet since
they don't ever need to run at a slow speed. I recently rebuilt the carb
on my Coleman C0543000.17 Briggs Intek and it only had one visible jet
which would have certainly cleared once the bowl was siphoned clean.
However your advice to maintain a full tank with fuel stabilizer is a very
good idea also and the way I maintain mine. Periodic running for say 15
minutes a month with a small load like a 100 watt bulb is essential in
maintaining not only the motor and cylinder bore but also keeps some
residual magnetism in the stator/rotor which if lost will cause the
generator to not make electricity.

And not to mention, since these are brush type excited generators, running
keeps the slip rings and brushes polished. On startup after a prolonged
storage, it is recommended to let the generator run without load for about 5
minutes.

As for the fuel system. I still only use plain gas, I try to keep the tank
full and change the gas after a year. Drain it into my gas can for the lawn
mower and put fresh gas in the generator. I always run the carburetor down
after shutting off the fuel valve when storing the system. The small amount
of gas that remains in the bowl has never been a problem for me. My snow
thrower, on the other hand (8hp Tecumseh snow king) has a carburetor drain
button that can drain the bowl after the fuel has been cut off. This is more
for removing water vapor condensation that comes from vent air which would
otherwise freeze and block the needle valve and jets.

Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..
amdx wrote:

Ok, Bob here's the end story.

(snip)
I removed the bad 19 turn coil and wound a new one in the stator. I got
a quart of motor varnish at a motor repair shop and revarnished the coil.
I baked the stator in my wifes oven! I varnished and baked the unit twice
just for safety.
(I did note that one of the fiber insulators was not properly placed in
the stator, I think this is where the coil rubbed the stator and shorted,
causing the failure) I replaced the bad capacitor and repaired the open
foil.
This morning I reassembled the unit and fired it up. It works!
I applied a 3300 watt load and it's been running almost 4 hrs at 119.2
volts.

Congratulations, Mike. It is good to hear a story with a happy ending ,
once in a while.

Which capacitor did you use?

I don't have the part number handy, (that's the problem working with more
than one computer) but the best rated one was no longer available
so I end up with a Cornel Dublier 85 degree. I had big ideas about
external mounting the capacitor and getting voltage and current
measurements, but I got done instead. :-)
BTW when I purchased the wire and varnish at the motor repair shop the
counterman recognized the stator and said $275 dollars to rewind it. He said
when they could buy replacements the were the same $275, but if he rewound
it would be better than the factory unit. I believe him.
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"donald" wrote in message
. ..
amdx wrote:
"BobW" wrote in message
"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

I wish I had taken some pictures especially of the capacitor. After I cut
it open and inspected it, I called my 14yr old son in and shower him the
rolled contruction and
how the connection points were in the center of the length.
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

amdx wrote:
"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..

(snip)
Which capacitor did you use?

I don't have the part number handy, (that's the problem working with more
than one computer) but the best rated one was no longer available
so I end up with a Cornel Dublier 85 degree.

But did you stay with the original capacitance or increase
the value?

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

amdx wrote:
"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..

(snip)
Which capacitor did you use?

I don't have the part number handy, (that's the problem working with
more than one computer) but the best rated one was no longer available
so I end up with a Cornel Dublier 85 degree.

But did you stay with the original capacitance or increase the value?

John Popelish

Same value, 450uf 200v.

Coleman Powermate amdx Home Repair 7 June 9th 08 11:20 PM
OT isn't Coleman fuel same as unleaded gas? Tom Nie Woodturning 11 August 13th 07 03:33 AM
Wanted: Schematic/Manual for Gates Radio Exciter . . . Stan Shankman Electronics Repair 0 September 11th 05 10:39 PM
Coleman furnace question Michael Harris Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 04:14 AM
Coleman garage cabinets Irrational Number Home Ownership 0 April 7th 05 06:10 PM