Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
amdx amdx is offline

Default Coleman Exciter Circuit

"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..
amdx wrote:

Ok, Bob here's the end story.

(snip)
I removed the bad 19 turn coil and wound a new one in the stator. I got
a quart of motor varnish at a motor repair shop and revarnished the coil.
I baked the stator in my wifes oven! I varnished and baked the unit twice
just for safety.
(I did note that one of the fiber insulators was not properly placed in
the stator, I think this is where the coil rubbed the stator and shorted,
causing the failure) I replaced the bad capacitor and repaired the open
foil.
This morning I reassembled the unit and fired it up. It works!
I applied a 3300 watt load and it's been running almost 4 hrs at 119.2
volts.

Congratulations, Mike. It is good to hear a story with a happy ending ,
once in a while.

Which capacitor did you use?

I don't have the part number handy, (that's the problem working with more
than one computer) but the best rated one was no longer available
so I end up with a Cornel Dublier 85 degree. I had big ideas about
external mounting the capacitor and getting voltage and current
measurements, but I got done instead. :-)
BTW when I purchased the wire and varnish at the motor repair shop the
counterman recognized the stator and said $275 dollars to rewind it. He said
when they could buy replacements the were the same $275, but if he rewound
it would be better than the factory unit. I believe him.
Mike