Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
donald donald is offline

Default Coleman Exciter Circuit

amdx wrote:
"BobW" wrote in message
"amdx" wrote in message
Interesting thread. Glad to hear you got yours running and sorry to hear
that they closed doors on the factory.
Don't rush me Oppie,
I haven't got it working yet. I rewound the coil, varnished and baked
it twice. Now I'm waiting on the capacitor.
Mike :-)

Hurry up, Mike! You fill us with anticipation and then you make us wait.
Very inconsiderate.

8-}

Bob

Ok, Bob here's the end story.
I started the Coleman Generator problem thread about two weeks ago.
It quit producing power after about 1 hr 15 min.
After dissassembly I found an overheated exciter coil, a defective capacitor
and a burned open foil on the pcb.
I removed the bad 19 turn coil and wound a new one in the stator. I got
a quart of motor varnish at a motor repair shop and revarnished the coil.
I baked the stator in my wifes oven! I varnished and baked the unit twice
just for safety.
(I did note that one of the fiber insulators was not properly placed in the
stator, I think this is where the coil rubbed the stator and shorted,
causing the failure) I replaced the bad capacitor and repaired the open
foil.
This morning I reassembled the unit and fired it up. It works!
I applied a 3300 watt load and it's been running almost 4 hrs at 119.2
volts.
Mike

Do you have time to post some pics ?

donald