Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
oppie oppie is offline

Default Coleman Exciter Circuit

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:54:46 -0700, BobW wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message

[snip]
Always good to run the machine for a bit now and then, shut of the fuel
supply and run what's left out of the carburetor. We have a neighbor
that forgot to do this and never shut off the fuel. wound up with the
remains of about a gallon of gas evaporated in the carb along with it's
sludge. Was beyond cleaning. Just ordered a new carb for him.

Oppie

I was under the impression that shutting off the fuel supply and running
it dry was the way to go. Now, from experience, I've found this to not be
the case.

When I used that technique on one of my carbureted motorcycles, its slow
speed jet still got clogged after sitting for about a year. This is
because there's no way to insure that some gasoline will not still remain
in the carburetor, enter this tiny jet, and eventually dry out and gum-up
the jet.

So, I did some further research and here's what I do now:

1) Fill the gas tank full to minimize evaporation. 2) Add fuel stabilizer
to the gas and run it long enough to insure the carburetor is full of
stabilized gas, too. This is the greatest contributor in reducing
evaporation and gummy bear creation. 3) Keep the fuel valve open so the
carburetor parts stay wet. 4) Keep the choke closed to further reduce
evaporation from the carburetor.

Certainly, periodic running of the engine is a good thing.

Bob

Most generators probably don't have a carb with a slow speed jet since
they don't ever need to run at a slow speed. I recently rebuilt the carb
on my Coleman C0543000.17 Briggs Intek and it only had one visible jet
which would have certainly cleared once the bowl was siphoned clean.
However your advice to maintain a full tank with fuel stabilizer is a very
good idea also and the way I maintain mine. Periodic running for say 15
minutes a month with a small load like a 100 watt bulb is essential in
maintaining not only the motor and cylinder bore but also keeps some
residual magnetism in the stator/rotor which if lost will cause the
generator to not make electricity.

And not to mention, since these are brush type excited generators, running
keeps the slip rings and brushes polished. On startup after a prolonged
storage, it is recommended to let the generator run without load for about 5
minutes.

As for the fuel system. I still only use plain gas, I try to keep the tank
full and change the gas after a year. Drain it into my gas can for the lawn
mower and put fresh gas in the generator. I always run the carburetor down
after shutting off the fuel valve when storing the system. The small amount
of gas that remains in the bowl has never been a problem for me. My snow
thrower, on the other hand (8hp Tecumseh snow king) has a carburetor drain
button that can drain the bowl after the fuel has been cut off. This is more
for removing water vapor condensation that comes from vent air which would
otherwise freeze and block the needle valve and jets.

Oppie