Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Camcorder Recommendations

New grandson, 15 year old _dead_ camcorder :-(

What's the newest game in town that you would recommend?

Price is _almost_ no object, I have so many freebie points available
on my Amex that I probably won't have to spend a dime for most things
I've seen.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
New grandson, 15 year old _dead_ camcorder :-(

What's the newest game in town that you would recommend?

Price is _almost_ no object, I have so many freebie points available
on my Amex that I probably won't have to spend a dime for most things
I've seen.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

If you expect to do any editing, you are probably best off with a tape based
camcorder. If this is an HD camcorder, you really need to dig in to the
tradeoffs between tape, Hard Drive, semiconductor, and DVD. People I know
who are into this seem to sneer at the DVD based recorders.

Tam

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:34:40 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

New grandson, 15 year old _dead_ camcorder :-(

What's the newest game in town that you would recommend?

Price is _almost_ no object, I have so many freebie points available
on my Amex that I probably won't have to spend a dime for most things
I've seen.

...Jim Thompson

Sony digital (kind that uses a tape). I have a small Mini DV Sony that
takes wonderful movies in 16:9 or 4:3. Has a touch screen display, Super
Night Vision, remote, USB etc...etc... and fits in the palm of your hand.

I have seen really bad reviews on the touch screen, and would go with Canon
or Panasonic. Most important is to be sure it works with whatever editing
program you plan to get, Adobe, Pinnacle, and Roxio; probably in that order.

I have a non HD Canon (16:9 & 4:3) and use it mostly with Pinnacle Studio.
For low light use, the Panasonic is a lot better because of the 3 CCD
pickup.

Tam

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
New grandson, 15 year old _dead_ camcorder :-(

What's the newest game in town that you would recommend?

Price is _almost_ no object, I have so many freebie points available
on my Amex that I probably won't have to spend a dime for most things
I've seen.

I'll probably get totally flamed for even thinking this... But my
recommendation is to get a Casio EX-V7 Camera.

Last year, on a trip to Japan I bought a Sony DVD - I have the DCR mini-dV
at home but did not want to lug the camera around so I could transfer images
and video into the computer. The DVD concept was neat as heck, and the super
Night shot was great! But, within a month, I'd given up using it - it was a
power-hog and the DVD's were prone to errors.

Then I bought the under-$300 Casio camera - a 7-MPix camera with a 7x
optical zoom that also takes hi-res Mpeg4 video with stereo sound (playable
with Quicktime and others). It uses SD and SDHC cards - currently up to 8GB
capacity are available and you can fit about 1 hour of video on each GB. The
package is about the size of a deck of playing cards without any protruding
lens. I've since taken over 40 hours of video and untold hundreds of images
with excellent results. And I can carry it everywhere all the time in my
jacket pocket.

So, get the Sony or the recommended 3-ccd job, but get the Casio as well. In
all likelyhood, you'll end up using the little digicam more that all your
other video toys put together!

QS

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
New grandson, 15 year old _dead_ camcorder :-(

What's the newest game in town that you would recommend?

Price is _almost_ no object, I have so many freebie points available
on my Amex that I probably won't have to spend a dime for most things
I've seen.

...Jim Thompson

Canon's got a pretty nice miniature HDTV Camcorder for about $950 street
price, the HV10.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/canon_hv10

If you've got that kind of display may be worth it.

Robert H.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:34:40 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

...Jim Thompson

A couple of years ago I bought a Canon ZR90. It is small, about $500,
uses tapes OR SD cards. It has enough features to meet my needs and
not so many as to keep me confused. The SD cards have come down in
price enough to make me consider them instead of tape!

I tend to take my cameras wherever I go and about half of them expire
to accident, theft or loss.

John Ferrell W8CCW
"Life is easier if you learn to
plow around the stumps"
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
g g is offline

wrote:

...Jim Thompson

A couple of years ago I bought a Canon ZR90. It is small, about $500,
uses tapes OR SD cards. It has enough features to meet my needs and
not so many as to keep me confused. The SD cards have come down in
price enough to make me consider them instead of tape!

I tend to take my cameras wherever I go and about half of them expire
to accident, theft or loss.

John Ferrell W8CCW
"Life is easier if you learn to
plow around the stumps"

I got an older Sony just before everybody downsized a few years ago. The downsized models didn't
have full A/V inputs and outputs, so I'm still satisfied. The model I have also has great
sound. It doesn't overload like many. I have recorded bands and jet dragsters. Well the
jet does start to overload somewhat. One thing I hate about mine is when there
is a memory stick in there, I sometimes put it into Stick opperation, then
I soon got a memory full warning, thinking I was going to tape. Through the Sony, I converted
a bunch of VHS video tapes to computer, video in/ firewire out, edited and made CD's.

greg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:46:31 -0500, Tam/WB2TT wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Mine is 4 years old and works flawlessly. You're going to have isolated
problems with any brand. As far as software goes, Pinnacle works fine with
Sony stuff.

It works. Some people find it annoying as hell, though.

Tam

I have a non HD Canon (16:9 & 4:3) and use it mostly with Pinnacle
Studio.
For low light use, the Panasonic is a lot better because of the 3 CCD
pickup.

Tam

My sony works in no light.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Robert" wrote in message

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
New grandson, 15 year old _dead_ camcorder :-(

What's the newest game in town that you would recommend?

Price is _almost_ no object, I have so many freebie points available
on my Amex that I probably won't have to spend a dime for most things
I've seen.

...Jim Thompson

Canon's got a pretty nice miniature HDTV Camcorder for about $950 street
price, the HV10.

Something to be said for the HV10 and HV20. They contain an A/D converter
which allows you to connect any analog source to the camcorder, and download
it to a PC via Firewire as digital. I know Jim's old camcorder does not
work, but when I was in the same shape I borrowed an HI8 camcorder from a
friend so I could make digital copies of my old HI8 tapes. I used a PCI
analog capture card, which I would not have needed with one of these Canons.

If you look at the HV10, look at the HV20 also. Both have Firewire. You
don't want to have to use HDMI.

Tam
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/canon_hv10

If you've got that kind of display may be worth it.

Robert H.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

We use the Canon Elura 85 around the lab for making promo and product videos
and as yet, there hasn't been a thing I've needed that it didn't have.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
New grandson, 15 year old _dead_ camcorder :-(

What's the newest game in town that you would recommend?

Price is _almost_ no object, I have so many freebie points available
on my Amex that I probably won't have to spend a dime for most things
I've seen.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:
We use the Canon Elura 85 around the lab for making promo and product videos
and as yet, there hasn't been a thing I've needed that it didn't have.

I second the Canon brand. Seems to be more
reliable and have better features than most
other brands.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:04:57 -0800, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

We use the Canon Elura 85 around the lab for making promo and product videos
and as yet, there hasn't been a thing I've needed that it didn't have.

Jim

What do you use for a video editing program?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Cyberlink's Power Director.

Jim

--

wrote:

We use the Canon Elura 85 around the lab for making promo and product
videos
and as yet, there hasn't been a thing I've needed that it didn't have.

Jim

What do you use for a video editing program?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent! it makes videos for the blind!

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Tam/WB2TT posted to sci.electronics.design:

http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

If you expect to do any editing, you are probably best off with a
tape based camcorder. If this is an HD camcorder, you really need to
dig in to the tradeoffs between tape, Hard Drive, semiconductor, and
DVD. People I know who are into this seem to sneer at the DVD based
recorders.

Tam

I completely recommend HiDef now. The current best is Disk but in 6
months to a year that may switch to semiconductor.

GE 8mm camcorder [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 July 13th 06 09:57 PM
camcorder Patt Electronics Repair 0 October 29th 05 12:45 AM
Camcorder audio problem - 8mm in hi8 camcorder [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 April 23rd 05 03:27 PM
camcorder STEPHEN UK diy 2 March 15th 04 07:39 PM
A bit OT - but someone will know... (Camcorder) John UK diy 4 December 30th 03 11:51 AM