Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Quantsuff Quantsuff is offline

Default Camcorder Recommendations

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
New grandson, 15 year old _dead_ camcorder :-(

What's the newest game in town that you would recommend?

Price is _almost_ no object, I have so many freebie points available
on my Amex that I probably won't have to spend a dime for most things
I've seen.

I'll probably get totally flamed for even thinking this... But my
recommendation is to get a Casio EX-V7 Camera.

Last year, on a trip to Japan I bought a Sony DVD - I have the DCR mini-dV
at home but did not want to lug the camera around so I could transfer images
and video into the computer. The DVD concept was neat as heck, and the super
Night shot was great! But, within a month, I'd given up using it - it was a
power-hog and the DVD's were prone to errors.

Then I bought the under-$300 Casio camera - a 7-MPix camera with a 7x
optical zoom that also takes hi-res Mpeg4 video with stereo sound (playable
with Quicktime and others). It uses SD and SDHC cards - currently up to 8GB
capacity are available and you can fit about 1 hour of video on each GB. The
package is about the size of a deck of playing cards without any protruding
lens. I've since taken over 40 hours of video and untold hundreds of images
with excellent results. And I can carry it everywhere all the time in my
jacket pocket.

So, get the Sony or the recommended 3-ccd job, but get the Casio as well. In
all likelyhood, you'll end up using the little digicam more that all your
other video toys put together!

QS

...Jim Thompson
--