Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default new mouse pad - MousePad.JPG

We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

John

Attached Thumbnails
new mouse pad - MousePad.JPG-mousepad-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Larkin" wrote in message
We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

John

LOL
Yes, Public works dollars at work.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:
We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

John

Why in the world would you subject yourself to a tour of a SEWER?
*Baffled*
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 02:23:47 -0700, PhattyMo
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

John

Why in the world would you subject yourself to a tour of a SEWER?
*Baffled*

I've always thought it interesting that, under every city, there's
another set of structures we never see: foundations, caissons,
transformer vaults, pumping stations, subway tunnels, water and gas
distribution, wire and fiberoptics communications, and one or often
two separate wastewater systems, all sorts of things. I'm an
electrical engineer, but civil engineering really impresses me.

OK, some people don't think of stuff like this, and would rather watch
reruns of "Gunsmoke" without thinking about the cable distribution
system underneath the streets.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:09:54 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

John

Cool!

In the '80s, a student of mine got a job working there. She was doing
all sorts of interesting instrumentation projects. I visited her at
work once, and was very impressed.

Sounds like, in the time since then and now, they've built themselves
a PR department. DVD? That's a surprise!

Be careful how you use that compost. I don't know how it is now, but
there used to be a problem with heavy metal contamination of that
stuff.

Tom

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Al Al is offline

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
[...]

Check this out:

http://www.geocities.com/thslone/sewer.html

Just do a google on sewer tours.

Al

Al
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"BobW" wrote in message
Not to mention all those Morlocks living down there...

No, no, it's clearly... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087015/

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
qrk qrk is offline

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

John

Why in the world would you subject yourself to a tour of a SEWER?
*Baffled*

Why in the world would you pass up such an interesting tour unless
you're the type that sits around watching Oprah for all your
informational needs. Large industrial/civil processes are quite
interesting.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

John

Why in the world would you subject yourself to a tour of a SEWER?
*Baffled*

Why in the world would you pass up such an interesting tour unless
you're the type that sits around watching Oprah for all your
informational needs. Large industrial/civil processes are quite
interesting.

Don't get me wrong,I find it interesting too...I'm fascinated by the
local water system,it comes to town in giant pipes,and is collected in
various tanks,some *in* a big hill behind my house..

Sewers and lift pumps,etc. are interesting too...

But not interesting enough to crawl into them....EWW!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:
We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

Why in the world would you subject yourself to a tour of a SEWER?
*Baffled*

Why in the world would you pass up such an interesting tour unless
you're the type that sits around watching Oprah for all your
informational needs. Large industrial/civil processes are quite
interesting.

When I went skydiving in Baldwin, WI fifteen or twenty years ago, the
drop zone had a big huge sewage treatment thing next to it, which
they called the "turd swirl". They recommended that if your main
chute and backup both malfunction, to aim for it, because it would
be softer than the ground. =:-O

Interestingly, there was no noticeable odor from it.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:09:54 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost.

Did they call it "Milorganite?" My Dad used to buy that stuff for the
garden.

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
We went by the Southeast sewage treatment plant and picked up six free
sacks of compost. They loaded them into the car for us, gave us their
DVD "The Sewers of San Francisco", and a free mouse pad!

They have real tours, too; we'll have to schedule one. I've done the
Sewers of Paris tour, so it will be interesting to compare.

John

Why in the world would you subject yourself to a tour of a SEWER?
*Baffled*

Why in the world would you pass up such an interesting tour unless
you're the type that sits around watching Oprah for all your
informational needs. Large industrial/civil processes are quite
interesting.

Yep. When I was scouting out universities while I was still in high
school there was a demonstration at the University of Cincinnati of a
sewer mechanism to handle low flow neighborhoods.... a cistern filled
up with sewage and water until it reached a certain critical level,
then flushed itself... no moving parts.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
[...]

Underneath parts of Edinburgh, there are complete streets which have
been built over and are now open to tourists.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet...o_Edinburgh/Ed
inburgh%20facts/CEC_hidden_edinburgh

--
John B
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John B" wrote in message
t...
Underneath parts of Edinburgh, there are complete streets which have
been built over and are now open to tourists.

This is true in some U.S. cities as well, such as Seattle that was re-built at
least once (I believe it's actually been rebuilt several times -- fire did it
in once too) after severe flooding in the city's early days. The original
"street level" is something like 10' below the current "street level."

It is really cool to see all these old underground "ghost" towns.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Yep. When I was scouting out universities while I was still in high
school there was a demonstration at the University of Cincinnati of a
sewer mechanism to handle low flow neighborhoods.... a cistern filled
up with sewage and water until it reached a certain critical level,
then flushed itself... no moving parts.

How did it retain and release the sewage with no moving parts?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

As long as you dont eat what you grow, there is no problem.....
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:15:13 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Yep. When I was scouting out universities while I was still in high
school there was a demonstration at the University of Cincinnati of a
sewer mechanism to handle low flow neighborhoods.... a cistern filled
up with sewage and water until it reached a certain critical level,
then flushed itself... no moving parts.

How did it retain and release the sewage with no moving parts?

Just like a toilet does when you exceed a certain water level in the
bowl.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:15:13 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Yep. When I was scouting out universities while I was still in high
school there was a demonstration at the University of Cincinnati of
a sewer mechanism to handle low flow neighborhoods.... a cistern
filled up with sewage and water until it reached a certain critical
level, then flushed itself... no moving parts.

How did it retain and release the sewage with no moving parts?

Just like a toilet does when you exceed a certain water level in the
bowl.

Ok, but a toilet only works if the level increases rapidly. If you let
water trickle into it slowly, then it just flows over the bend without
creating suction.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message
Yep. When I was scouting out universities while I was still in high
school there was a demonstration at the University of Cincinnati of a
sewer mechanism to handle low flow neighborhoods.... a cistern filled
up with sewage and water until it reached a certain critical level,
then flushed itself... no moving parts.

How did it retain and release the sewage with no moving parts?

This is a common technique used in some septic tanks to give the drainage
field a break. The tank is broken into two chambers. The first chamber
holds the nasty stuff, and overflows into the second chamber. The second
chamber has a pipe that comes up from its bottom, and performs an upside
down "U" bend that goes back to the bottom (inlet). When the tank fills
enough to make the water fall over the top of the "U" bend, it forms a
siphon which draws all of the water out of the chamber.

In the case of a septic tank, the pipe that forms the "U" bend has to be
sized small enough that a toilet flush will cause it to fill completely
and start the siphon. This is not a problem, because the second chamber
has nothing but water in it. For a municipal sewage system, the bend would
have to be sized based on the usual usual flow surges that occur in the
sewer lines.

-Chuck

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 01:13:34 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:15:13 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Yep. When I was scouting out universities while I was still in high
school there was a demonstration at the University of Cincinnati of
a sewer mechanism to handle low flow neighborhoods.... a cistern
filled up with sewage and water until it reached a certain critical
level, then flushed itself... no moving parts.

How did it retain and release the sewage with no moving parts?

Just like a toilet does when you exceed a certain water level in the
bowl.

Ok, but a toilet only works if the level increases rapidly. If you let
water trickle into it slowly, then it just flows over the bend without
creating suction.

I've been scratching my head all night trying to remember... this was
the Fall of 1957 ;-) I do remember a rather significant siphon, and
watching the trickle stream entering and then who-o-o-osh!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message

This is a common technique used in some septic tanks to give the
drainage field a break. The tank is broken into two chambers. The
first chamber holds the nasty stuff, and overflows into the second
chamber. The second chamber has a pipe that comes up from its
bottom, and performs an upside down "U" bend that goes back to the
bottom (inlet). When the tank fills enough to make the water fall
over the top of the "U" bend, it forms a siphon which draws all of
the water out of the chamber.

In the case of a septic tank, the pipe that forms the "U" bend has to
be sized small enough that a toilet flush will cause it to fill
completely and start the siphon.

So those low-flush toilets that people are forced to use might make their
tanks obsolete.

This is not a problem, because the
second chamber has nothing but water in it. For a municipal sewage
system, the bend would have to be sized based on the usual usual flow
surges that occur in the sewer lines.

-Chuck

Tanks.

(The pun was accidental but I decided to leave it.)

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:
Ok, but a toilet only works if the level increases rapidly. If you let
water trickle into it slowly, then it just flows over the bend without
creating suction.

I've been scratching my head all night trying to remember... this was
the Fall of 1957 ;-) I do remember a rather significant siphon, and
watching the trickle stream entering and then who-o-o-osh!

Google is overwhelmed with beer and wine autosiphons, but the type in
question is a common septic device - pulsing effluent into a drain field
is much better than trickling it in. They work by using an "air bell" of
an engineered size which prevents the start of siphoning until enough
water has built up for a good run, and then makes for a strong flow -
but explaining without refreshing my memory and having a good diagram is
not working too well.

Here's a site with a pretty good diagram and explanation:

http://www.siphons.com/operation.html

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:09:33 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Thanks! That's a good link!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:03:03 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

[...]

Sno-o-o-ort!

I'm like the felon in Massachusetts, I flush twice ;-)

I'm about to install "air-flush" units... a bit noisy, but never stop
up.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:
[...]

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/136...hint=tt0054387

Heck, with all those giant alligators, who needs Morlocks? ;-)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...lligator+sewer

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:23:08 -0700, Joel Kolstad wrote:

"John B" wrote in message
t...
Underneath parts of Edinburgh, there are complete streets which have
been built over and are now open to tourists.

This is true in some U.S. cities as well, such as Seattle that was re-built at
least once (I believe it's actually been rebuilt several times -- fire did it
in once too) after severe flooding in the city's early days. The original
"street level" is something like 10' below the current "street level."

It is really cool to see all these old underground "ghost" towns.

Back at the Univ. of Minn., there was a legend that there were "steam
tunnels", and supposedly, you could get to them through the dorm basement,
and follow them to the basements of the girls' dorms, and go on panty
raids and stuff.

I never actually saw one, however. )-; (or a panty raid! D-; )

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:03:03 -0400, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
"Chuck Harris" wrote in message

This is a common technique used in some septic tanks to give the
drainage field a break. The tank is broken into two chambers. The
first chamber holds the nasty stuff, and overflows into the second
chamber. The second chamber has a pipe that comes up from its
bottom, and performs an upside down "U" bend that goes back to the
bottom (inlet). When the tank fills enough to make the water fall
over the top of the "U" bend, it forms a siphon which draws all of
the water out of the chamber.

In the case of a septic tank, the pipe that forms the "U" bend has to
be sized small enough that a toilet flush will cause it to fill
completely and start the siphon.

So those low-flush toilets that people are forced to use might make their
tanks obsolete.

"Low-flush" toilets are a joke. They never flush properly, so you have
to flush them two or three times, so the net result is that they waste
_more_ water! I had an apartment in San Pedro, where they had modified
the ball valve/flapper valve, such that it would sink when the tank
got about half-empty. It didn't flush completely, so I got into the
habit of holding down the flush lever until it finished, which of course
defeated the purpose of the "water-saving" feature.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
Back at the Univ. of Minn., there was a legend that there were "steam
tunnels", and supposedly, you could get to them through the dorm basement,
and follow them to the basements of the girls' dorms, and go on panty
raids and stuff.

The Univ. of Wisconsin has steam tunnels as well, but by the time I was there
the rumor was they were pretty well-monitored security-wise with door switches
and motion detectors... and that you could get into some pretty serious
trouble if you were caught. Apparently people still went anyway, but just
kept the durations particular short. (And supposedly a lot of the security
was due to there being a fair amount of danger down there if you didn't know
what you were doing or were inebriated... I have a former co-worker who'd been
a submariner and had various chilling tales about what high-pressure steam
could do to you...)

UW article: http://www.news.wisc.edu/3486 -- I'm not sure I believe the part
that, "there's only one way into the tunnels." I would believe, "there's only
one way you're *supposed* to enter the tunnels..."

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:17:16 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
[...]

At MIT we used to go from building to building thru the steam tunnels
during bad snow storms.

...Jim Thompson

Where's My Mouse? Jack Home Repair 7 November 28th 05 06:34 PM
Getting rid of Mouse Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Home Repair 29 October 5th 05 08:10 AM
How Does the Mouse Get In? W. Watson Home Repair 15 August 29th 05 07:23 PM
Country Mouse - City Mouse: A Reply To Scott Cramer. Tom Watson Woodworking 16 July 31st 03 04:59 PM