Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Thompson Jim Thompson is offline

Default new mouse pad - MousePad.JPG

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:09:33 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 01:13:34 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:
Ok, but a toilet only works if the level increases rapidly. If you let
water trickle into it slowly, then it just flows over the bend without
creating suction.

I've been scratching my head all night trying to remember... this was
the Fall of 1957 ;-) I do remember a rather significant siphon, and
watching the trickle stream entering and then who-o-o-osh!

Google is overwhelmed with beer and wine autosiphons, but the type in
question is a common septic device - pulsing effluent into a drain field
is much better than trickling it in. They work by using an "air bell" of
an engineered size which prevents the start of siphoning until enough
water has built up for a good run, and then makes for a strong flow -
but explaining without refreshing my memory and having a good diagram is
not working too well.

Here's a site with a pretty good diagram and explanation:

http://www.siphons.com/operation.html

Thanks! That's a good link!

...Jim Thompson
--