Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Thompson Jim Thompson is offline

Default new mouse pad - MousePad.JPG

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 01:13:34 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:15:13 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Yep. When I was scouting out universities while I was still in high
school there was a demonstration at the University of Cincinnati of
a sewer mechanism to handle low flow neighborhoods.... a cistern
filled up with sewage and water until it reached a certain critical
level, then flushed itself... no moving parts.

How did it retain and release the sewage with no moving parts?

Just like a toilet does when you exceed a certain water level in the
bowl.

Ok, but a toilet only works if the level increases rapidly. If you let
water trickle into it slowly, then it just flows over the bend without
creating suction.

I've been scratching my head all night trying to remember... this was
the Fall of 1957 ;-) I do remember a rather significant siphon, and
watching the trickle stream entering and then who-o-o-osh!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |