Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default INSPIRATION - Rifle/Gun Carrying Case

http://www.artisansofthevalley.com/c...iflecase_l.jpg

I'd been planning for awhile to make a carrying case. I'd looed at
a lot of pictures, but didn't find anything I really wanted to make.
So, I got to thinking about just how i wanted to do up with it, and came
up with a very similar design, except for the innards. I found this one
after I'd already decided on my design. Now I just have to decide on
what hinges and clasps I want. Nothing fancy, maybe something along the
ling of black iron hinges. That's the easy part. The hard part will be
deciding on the handle. May just drill a couple of hole and use a chunk
of rope. I'm not about to try to make it look old, but I would kinda
like it in an old style. That's why I'm concerned about what type of
handle. I'd prefer to make my own, not buy. I'd like leather, but not
reall sure how I'd fasten it on. I'd rather go with rope than just tack
the leather on, I think. No rush, I've got some more measuring to do
before I start, and I've got several other projects to finish up too. I
think I may make a pistol case too, for my .177 pump-up air pistol..

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 11:14 pm, (J T) wrote:
[...]

How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ-NhyctOho

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 23:14:58 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

[...]

How about a leather trunk handle and end caps. I recently refinished
a large trunk and had to replace the handles. I was able to find the
leather straps at a local furniture refinisher. If you secure the end
caps well, this should work in you case and look old-style as well.

HTH
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Music stores might be a good bet for sturdy case handles. People
don't like their $2500 guitars hitting the ground.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 5:55?pm, Ferd Farkel wrote:
On Oct 7, 9:59 am, Bill wrote:

Music stores might be a good bet for sturdy case handles. People
don't like their $2500 guitars hitting the ground.- Hide quoted text -

Unless thay are Deep Purple or Motley Crue . . . or early Who. Then
it's expected.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
(J T) wrote:

http://www.artisansofthevalley.com/c...iflecase_l.jpg

....snippity...

....The hard part will be
deciding on the handle. May just drill a couple of hole and use a chunk
of rope. I'm not about to try to make it look old, but I would kinda
like it in an old style. That's why I'm concerned about what type of
handle. I'd prefer to make my own, not buy. I'd like leather, but not
reall sure how I'd fasten it on. I'd rather go with rope than just tack
the leather on, I think.

....snippity...

Maybe thread a rope or two through, as you mentioned, but slip or attach
a tube of leather around the rope in the middle? Methinks that would be
more comfortable to, erm, handle than just a rope, and keep the same
sort of old-timeyness vibe going.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot

Posted to rec.woodworking

Whoops. Rather than that. After taking a look at the message again.
I have a suggestion.

If you can get the leather, Then all you need to do is talk with a
blacksmith have him make 2 plates that look like this _|T|_ the T
section can be changed to hold you chosen leather strap size. The
center of the T serves two purposes. One it keeps the leather from
being crushed and the central pin provided by the T alllows for the
strap to slide. Use the flat tabs to secure the fitting to the case.

Conversely you could drill two holes and attach your strap with a
couple of brass rivits.

The first selection does make it easier to replace the strap if it
fails for some reason.
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, Oct 6, 2007, 8:49pm (EDT-3) (Ferd*Farkel) doth
query thusly:
How about this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ-NhyctOho

Not only NO, but HELL no.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 3:33pm (EDT-3) doth posteth:
Try this.
http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/chestlifts/297

Holy Bat Crap, Batman. $15? That's more than I'd been figuring on
for the entire finished case. I'll pass.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 8:16 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 9:55am (EDT-3) (Ferd Farkel) doth
sayeth:
Music stores might be a good bet for sturdy case handles. People don't
like their $2500 guitars hitting the ground.

I did say I preferred to make my own. And, it'll be Hell for
stout, no way do I intend to drop a case on the ground that's got my
custom squirrel rifle in it. So, no I don't think I'll be buying any
handle at all. Unless I totally run out of ideas, and I don't see that
happening anytime soon. If nothing else, I'll fasten a couple of short
chunks of wood on the top of the case, then run a handle of hardwood
across them. I've seen some fancy (at least asking a high price for
them) wood brief cases and such, like that. I think I'll run thru my
thoughts on leather handles first tho.

Your rope idea would be damned near unbreakable if you
used SS aircraft cable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 8:02 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sat, Oct 6, 2007, 8:49pm (EDT-3) (Ferd Farkel) doth
query thusly:
How about this one?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ-NhyctOho

Not only NO, but HELL no.

Agreed. I can't play plectrum.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 8:42pm
(John*Grossbohlin) doth sayeth:
Perhaps the notion of a handle could be modified a bit to include a
handle with leather straps that encircle the case--little change they'd
break off at an inopportune moment.
http://www.griffinhowe.com/store/index.cfm?key=12 shows a canvas and
leather case that shows the concept. Leather straps around wooden cases
isn't unusual... http://www.brooksandthomas.com/catalog/ snip

Hmm. Leather handles. with encircling straps, interesting Hadn't
though of that one. Kinda appeals.

Considered straps, then unconsidered. But did get a thought or two
from the interior picture.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 8:54pm
(John*Grossbohlin) hath said:
"little chance" that is...
http://www.griffinhowe.com/store/index.cfm?key=12 shows a canvas and
leather case that shows the concept. Leather straps around wooden cases
isn't unusual... http://www.brooksandthomas.com/catalog/ snip

Straps around don't appeal, but the handle idea does. So, went
googling. Found what I think I'll go with. One-piece braided piece -
plenty of sites on-line with instructions. A unbraided strip on each
end, fasten those on one side of the case with rivets, or brass tacks,
maybe 6-7. The braided section will be a handle. Repeat on the other
side, for the second handle. Be cheap insurance in case both clasps
failed at once, slim chance, or if forget to close them, more probable.
Now all I need to do is decide on hinges and clasps. Have figure out
homemade wooden clasps, but not sure if I want to go with that design,
try to come up with another design, or just buy some. I could make some
hinges along the lines of what I'd prefer, but haven't ecided if it's
worth the hassle, or o just buy some..

INSPIRATION - Saw Case J T Woodworking 5 January 16th 06 12:57 PM
SINGLE RIFLE CASE J T Woodworking 2 August 13th 05 02:54 AM
INSPIRATION - GUN CASE J T Woodworking 8 July 26th 05 05:46 PM
plastic carrying case Christian Woodworking 8 January 11th 05 06:50 AM
Sawdust inside carrying case of new PC 557? Dale Woodworking 29 December 24th 03 12:47 AM