Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default INSPIRATION - Rifle/Gun Carrying Case

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 8:54pm
(John*Grossbohlin) hath said:
"little chance" that is...
http://www.griffinhowe.com/store/index.cfm?key=12 shows a canvas and
leather case that shows the concept. Leather straps around wooden cases
isn't unusual... http://www.brooksandthomas.com/catalog/ snip

Straps around don't appeal, but the handle idea does. So, went
googling. Found what I think I'll go with. One-piece braided piece -
plenty of sites on-line with instructions. A unbraided strip on each
end, fasten those on one side of the case with rivets, or brass tacks,
maybe 6-7. The braided section will be a handle. Repeat on the other
side, for the second handle. Be cheap insurance in case both clasps
failed at once, slim chance, or if forget to close them, more probable.
Now all I need to do is decide on hinges and clasps. Have figure out
homemade wooden clasps, but not sure if I want to go with that design,
try to come up with another design, or just buy some. I could make some
hinges along the lines of what I'd prefer, but haven't ecided if it's
worth the hassle, or o just buy some..

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."