Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default INSPIRATION - Rifle/Gun Carrying Case

"J T" wrote in message
Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 9:55am (EDT-3) (Ferd Farkel) doth
sayeth:
Music stores might be a good bet for sturdy case handles. People don't
like their $2500 guitars hitting the ground.

I did say I preferred to make my own. And, it'll be Hell for
stout, no way do I intend to drop a case on the ground that's got my
custom squirrel rifle in it. So, no I don't think I'll be buying any
handle at all. Unless I totally run out of ideas, and I don't see that
happening anytime soon. If nothing else, I'll fasten a couple of short
chunks of wood on the top of the case, then run a handle of hardwood
across them. I've seen some fancy (at least asking a high price for
them) wood brief cases and such, like that. I think I'll run thru my
thoughts on leather handles first tho.

Perhaps the notion of a handle could be modified a bit to include a handle
with leather straps that encircle the case--little change they'd break off
at an inopportune moment.

http://www.griffinhowe.com/store/index.cfm?key=12 shows a canvas and leather
case that shows the concept. Leather straps around wooden cases isn't
unusual... http://www.brooksandthomas.com/catalog/

John
....whose been known to sacrifice parts of his body to keep a fine firearm
from hitting the ground. ;~)