Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Music streaming from TV etc

On 27/04/2016 18:43, BobH wrote:
On 27/04/2016 09:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/04/2016 08:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 00:17:55 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

I would like a wireless speaker , not bluetooth, to play music
from
either tv or amplifier.
I've looked at wifi dongles for my tv and other similar devices,
but
not sure if what I buy would do the job.

There are quite a few WiFi enabled speakers about... have a look at the
Sonos range for example.

Yes but I'm not sure they will work for this application. I think the
problem will be that TV (presumably that has the USB port for the
dongle) won't have any means of streaming live audio out over the
WiFi or serving files. TV's tend to be "clients" not "servers".

Indeed - it does depend a bit on your source of music. If its coming off
a home server / nas / dlna box etc, then the speakers will may be able
to get it directly.

But again why wireless for the audio link? Any speaker worth its salt
is going to need a decent bit of power and there is the WiFi Rx etc
so that implies a cable. Unless you really want to get into changing
batteries.

And in these days of homeplug ethernet adaptors, one could argue that if
you have mains, you by default have (wired) network.

I have a pair of homeplug ethernet adapters which feed both my amplifier
and tv box,

The source of the music is on my nas server, and it is streamed down to
my tv box and also to my amplifier.

In which case, forget about the TV box and the amp. All you need is
something that can stream from the nas, and drive a (pair of) speaker(s)

(either an active speakers, or normal ones via an amp).

A raspberry pi or similar will take care of the streaming.

From reading some of the replies I have had it looks like I'll be
needing a usb wireless transmitter.

That seems to be over complicating it.

The reason I want a wireless speaker is so that it can be used in
another room where the wired speakers don't reach.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 17:07:15 +0000, BobH wrote:

I assume at the moment you feed the output from both the TV and CD player
into the amp, and then have wires between the amp and the speaker.

So you seem to need some kind of wireless speaker extender between your
amp and the speakers.

Cheers

Dave R

Yes that is exactly the thing I need then.

I managed it semi accidentally using stuff I already had but it might
give some ideas.
I already had a set of wireless head phones ,in my case Sennheiser the
present version being listed as the RS120 which are RF and not infra
red like some others. Phillips also make a set which are cheaper.

I also had a SKY Gnome set which was a short lived add on to sky
receivers which let you use them for radio output .
This had fallen into disuse but while playing with it I found that the
frequencies it worked on were the same has the headphones.
So I now use the headphones transmitter unit and the speaker part of
the Sky gnome , in fact sometimes I use the headphones and the missus
is simultaneously listening to the gnome speaker in the greenhouse, it
has rechargeable batteries so is nice and portable. There are
redundant preset buttons on it but the on/off volume and channel
selection controls can still be used.
Gnome sets can be found on ebay for low cost but there may be other
wireless speakers that work on the the channels a wireless headphone
trasmitter works on.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BobH wrote:
On 27/04/2016 20:38, John Rumm wrote:

What I am perhaps missing is why you want a wireless speaker for the TV
- since presumably if you are listening in another room, you won't be
able to see the TV anyway?

It's not for the TV at all, just for music as per the title of the thread.

Hmm... " Music streaming from TV etc"

Not the clearest subject line then...

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2016 17:49, David wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 17:07:15 +0000, BobH wrote:

On 27/04/2016 09:32, David wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:07:59 +0000, BobH wrote:

Ok, not exactly diy in the sense of repairing or building something,
but setting wifi up at home.

I am fairly IT techie, but this subject is a bit OTT for me. I know
what I want, but not sure about what is needed.

I have a samsung TV, connected to a Pioneer amplifier, and from that a
pair of speakers which the sound from both tv and cd player is output
to.

I would like a wireless speaker , not bluetooth, to play music from
either tv or amplifier.
I've looked at wifi dongles for my tv and other similar devices, but
not sure if what I buy would do the job.

You need a wireless transmitter to plug into the audio out where you
normally plug wires.

Then either a matching wireless receiver or a wireless enabled speaker.

That is, nothing clever, just replacing a run of wire with a wireless
transmitter and receiver.

I assume at the moment you feed the output from both the TV and CD
player into the amp, and then have wires between the amp and the
speaker.

So you seem to need some kind of wireless speaker extender between your
amp and the speakers.

Cheers

Dave R

Yes that is exactly the thing I need then.

Sadly forgot to mention that you would need an amplifier to drive the
remote speakers or active speakers.

Haven't yet worked out if you are trying to move your main speakers or add
another remote set.

JR seems to be on the money.

Cheers

Dave R

I want to use a wireless speaker in another room, and not move my main
speakers at all. I don't know where that came from!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2016 20:38, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/04/2016 18:38, BobH wrote:
On 27/04/2016 10:07, Chris French wrote:
In message , BobH
writes
On 27/04/2016 07:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I don't mind if it is a mains electric powered speaker as long as it
plays the music.
I have tried one or two different supposebly wireless speakers, but
when I play the music, which is on the tv from my nas drive, the sound
only comes out of the wired attached speakers.

What sort of wireless speakers, most are Bluetooth, there are a some
that use wifi. But you TV is unlikely to have a wireless audio output
other than Bluetooth, even that doesn't seem that common.

Reading between the lines, I'm assuming this speaker is maybe in another
room? hence the requirement for not bluetooth as the range isn't very
good. and not wanting to use a cable?

There are wireless audio sender and receivers, plug one into the
amplifier and one into an active speaker (powered, with built in
amplifier) of some sort. There is no standard for this sort of thing,
they are proprietary. I'm not sure though of what range they have.

I tried a Azotom A2 or something which was wireless but wouldn't play
from the TV or TV box. Next was a Sony ALL3, again wireless but same
result.

Yes I want a wireless speaker so that it can be in another room.
What wireless transmitter would you suggest for a samsung tv. I have
looked at transmitter for a samsung tv and they are not cheap.

What I am perhaps missing is why you want a wireless speaker for the TV
- since presumably if you are listening in another room, you won't be
able to see the TV anyway?

It's not for the TV at all, just for music as per the title of the thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2016 08:06, Tim+ wrote:
BobH wrote:
On 27/04/2016 20:38, John Rumm wrote:

What I am perhaps missing is why you want a wireless speaker for the TV
- since presumably if you are listening in another room, you won't be
able to see the TV anyway?

It's not for the TV at all, just for music as per the title of the thread.

Hmm... " Music streaming from TV etc"

Not the clearest subject line then...

Tim

Fair comment, but I should have been a bit more clearer.
I have plexmedia on an smart samsung tv, and currently the music only
plays out through the wired speakers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Yes it would seem that I need a wireless transmitter now.
For bluetooth, I have a bluetooth transmitter and it is plugged into my
amplifier by a phono socket, so a wireless transmitter plugged into the
same amplifier by a usb socket would or should solve the problem
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2016 11:06, BobH wrote:
On 28/04/2016 08:06, Tim+ wrote:
BobH wrote:
On 27/04/2016 20:38, John Rumm wrote:

What I am perhaps missing is why you want a wireless speaker for the TV
- since presumably if you are listening in another room, you won't be
able to see the TV anyway?

It's not for the TV at all, just for music as per the title of the
thread.

Hmm... " Music streaming from TV etc"

Not the clearest subject line then...

Tim

Fair comment, but I should have been a bit more clearer.
I have plexmedia on an smart samsung tv, and currently the music only
plays out through the wired speakers.

To an extent, the whole TV / wired speakers bit is a bit of a red
herring really. ISTM that you just want to be able to stream stuff from
your nas, to a room in your house. The fact that your TV can do this in
another room has nothing to do with it really - its just clouding the
actual requirements.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BobH Wrote in message:
[...]

I very much doubt they there is audio out on the amps usb socket.
It would power a transmitter but it would still need an audio out
feed from the amps phono sockets.

I can't help thinking this seems a complicated way of getting your
music played somewhere else in the house.

When I wanted to do something similar a couple of years ago I used
an old smartphone left plugged into some old computer speakers.
Running i forget what software to playback music from my
server.

Though redundant now, I use Chromecasts and don't plsyback local
files so much since I use Spotify and that has most of what I
want to listen to, it's easier to use that (or with Google play
music can just upload it all and access it from the same
place.

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 17:25:07 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I can pick up the output of the main sound system in every room in
the house. And all in sync too. No digital delays.

So not quite sure what is avaiable to do the same job without wires
these days.

My prefered route would be a cheap tablet on WiFi, amp and speakers.
The tablet would be running SBPlayer and a Squeezebox client to
control it (or any of the other players on the LAN). Players can be
synced together or do their own thing. Logitech have released the
server source code and there is some further development and bug
fixing happening.

There are other commercial solutions but they also seem to involve
the loss of an arm or leg if you are putting them all over the house.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BobH wrote:
I have a pair of cheap wifi speakers which have there own transmitter
with a phono plug. It is these that I want to replace with something
better, soundwise that is.

Is it the quality of the speakers which is poor, or the Wi-Fi link?

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2016 20:34, Chris French wrote:
BobH Wrote in message:
[...]

Mmm, yes, maybe no audio out from the usb socket, what a bummer, and
I've nothing to test it with either. I suppose I could try a usb
bluetooth dongle I have. If that works the the wireless one should, but
if it doesn't, well??

What about plugging it into my tv? The only that makes me doubt that, is
because all the audio goes through the amp.

I have a pair of cheap wifi speakers which have there own transmitter
with a phono plug. It is these that I want to replace with something
better, soundwise that is.

It's looking more like I'm going to be stuck with bluetooth??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
I have a pair of cheap wifi speakers which have there own transmitter
with a phono plug. It is these that I want to replace with something
better, soundwise that is.

Is it the quality of the speakers which is poor, or the Wi-Fi link?

It's the speakers which are poor as the sound is a bit in the tinny
side, and I want something which is a bit more basey.

Then it sounds like you need to seek out better Wi-Fi speakers. Or use a
Wi-Fi link unit with your own amp and speakers.

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
I have a pair of cheap wifi speakers which have there own transmitter
with a phono plug. It is these that I want to replace with something
better, soundwise that is.

Is it the quality of the speakers which is poor, or the Wi-Fi link?

It's the speakers which are poor as the sound is a bit in the tinny
side, and I want something which is a bit more basey.

Then it sounds like you need to seek out better Wi-Fi speakers. Or use a
Wi-Fi link unit with your own amp and speakers.

Ok, I was thinking in terms of a wifi transmitter, but now I have my
doubts that it would work from a usb connection on my amp.

What sort of wifi link unit do you suggest?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/16 19:24, BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
I have a pair of cheap wifi speakers which have there own transmitter
with a phono plug. It is these that I want to replace with something
better, soundwise that is.

Is it the quality of the speakers which is poor, or the Wi-Fi link?

It's the speakers which are poor as the sound is a bit in the tinny
side, and I want something which is a bit more basey.

Then it sounds like you need to seek out better Wi-Fi speakers. Or use a
Wi-Fi link unit with your own amp and speakers.

Ok, I was thinking in terms of a wifi transmitter, but now I have my
doubts that it would work from a usb connection on my amp.

What sort of wifi link unit do you suggest?

This is sole for your music playback - not for TV sound playback?

A tablet/phone with the plex client app, connected to self powered
speakers to stream stored media from the plex server running on your NAS.

Or maybe Chomecast audio, control from a phone or tablet. Think that
supports Plex? ...

Amplifier, TV etc... can be switched off. A wireless transmitter on your
amplifier is unnecessary - your audio data is already on your WiFi
network, you just need to plugin clients to pull down data in locations
where you want to listen.

BTW wireless transmitters/receiver units described as 2.4GHz use their
own manufacturer individual wireless protocols for audio, which is not
interoperable with the protocol called WiFi that is used for
transferring data packets on computer networks.

WiFi can be used for "live" audio data from analogue sources, but that
requires additional protocol support commonly used for internet radio
broadcasting, and the necessary software support (which can be messy).

Bluetooth has audio support and dongle transmitters are readily available.

For example.

Aukey Wireless Bluetooth Audio Transmitter Portable Bluetooth Stereo
Music Adapter Dongle with A2DP and aptX Low Latency Technology (BT-C1,
Black) - £13.99 & FREE Delivery
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PI6EEVW

But I think you don't need it with Plex....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2016 13:24, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/04/16 19:24, BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
[...]

Yes it is soley for music playback to a separate speaker which is not
wired to anything.

I used to stream the music via Plex on my tablet, and moved away from
the when I bought a pair of cheapish £70 wifi speakers with their own
transmitter.

I think I know what you mean about plugin clients, like Plex or similar??

I have been leaning more and more to Bluetooth purely because it seems
unlikely that I will get wifi working with a wireless speaker.

I know that there are far better bluetooth speakers available than the 2
wifi ones I have, and did hope that I could get a similar wifi speaker,
but that doesn't seem likely with my setup arrangement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2016 15:56, BobH wrote:
On 30/04/2016 13:24, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/04/16 19:24, BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
[...]

You have a tablet that can stream... plug it into some active speakers -
job done!

No need to tit about with wireless speakers, bluetooth or any other
crap. You already have a source of line level auto that can play direct
from your NAS - all it needs is amplification and a speaker (or two).
Either provide that in separate boxes, or all in one with an active
speaker (i.e. one with built in amp).

--
Cheers,

John.