Posted to uk.d-i-y
BobH[_6_] BobH[_6_] is offline

Default Music streaming from TV etc

On 28/04/2016 20:34, Chris French wrote:
BobH Wrote in message:
On 27/04/2016 09:32, David wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:07:59 +0000, BobH wrote:

Ok, not exactly diy in the sense of repairing or building something, but
setting wifi up at home.

I am fairly IT techie, but this subject is a bit OTT for me. I know what
I want, but not sure about what is needed.

I have a samsung TV, connected to a Pioneer amplifier, and from that a
pair of speakers which the sound from both tv and cd player is output
to.

I would like a wireless speaker , not bluetooth, to play music from
either tv or amplifier.
I've looked at wifi dongles for my tv and other similar devices, but not
sure if what I buy would do the job.

You need a wireless transmitter to plug into the audio out where you
normally plug wires.

Then either a matching wireless receiver or a wireless enabled speaker.

That is, nothing clever, just replacing a run of wire with a wireless
transmitter and receiver.

I assume at the moment you feed the output from both the TV and CD player
into the amp, and then have wires between the amp and the speaker.

So you seem to need some kind of wireless speaker extender between your
amp and the speakers.

Cheers

Dave R

Yes it would seem that I need a wireless transmitter now.
For bluetooth, I have a bluetooth transmitter and it is plugged into my
amplifier by a phono socket, so a wireless transmitter plugged into the
same amplifier by a usb socket would or should solve the problem

I very much doubt they there is audio out on the amps usb socket.
It would power a transmitter but it would still need an audio out
feed from the amps phono sockets.

I can't help thinking this seems a complicated way of getting your
music played somewhere else in the house.

When I wanted to do something similar a couple of years ago I used
an old smartphone left plugged into some old computer speakers.
Running i forget what software to playback music from my
server.

Though redundant now, I use Chromecasts and don't plsyback local
files so much since I use Spotify and that has most of what I
want to listen to, it's easier to use that (or with Google play
music can just upload it all and access it from the same
place.

Mmm, yes, maybe no audio out from the usb socket, what a bummer, and
I've nothing to test it with either. I suppose I could try a usb
bluetooth dongle I have. If that works the the wireless one should, but
if it doesn't, well??

What about plugging it into my tv? The only that makes me doubt that, is
because all the audio goes through the amp.

I have a pair of cheap wifi speakers which have there own transmitter
with a phono plug. It is these that I want to replace with something
better, soundwise that is.

It's looking more like I'm going to be stuck with bluetooth??