Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Music streaming from TV etc

On 30/04/2016 15:56, BobH wrote:
On 30/04/2016 13:24, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/04/16 19:24, BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
In article ,
BobH wrote:
I have a pair of cheap wifi speakers which have there own
transmitter
with a phono plug. It is these that I want to replace with something
better, soundwise that is.

Is it the quality of the speakers which is poor, or the Wi-Fi link?

It's the speakers which are poor as the sound is a bit in the tinny
side, and I want something which is a bit more basey.

Then it sounds like you need to seek out better Wi-Fi speakers. Or
use a
Wi-Fi link unit with your own amp and speakers.

Ok, I was thinking in terms of a wifi transmitter, but now I have my
doubts that it would work from a usb connection on my amp.

What sort of wifi link unit do you suggest?

This is sole for your music playback - not for TV sound playback?

A tablet/phone with the plex client app, connected to self powered
speakers to stream stored media from the plex server running on your NAS.

Or maybe Chomecast audio, control from a phone or tablet. Think that
supports Plex? ...

Amplifier, TV etc... can be switched off. A wireless transmitter on your
amplifier is unnecessary - your audio data is already on your WiFi
network, you just need to plugin clients to pull down data in locations
where you want to listen.

BTW wireless transmitters/receiver units described as 2.4GHz use their
own manufacturer individual wireless protocols for audio, which is not
interoperable with the protocol called WiFi that is used for
transferring data packets on computer networks.

WiFi can be used for "live" audio data from analogue sources, but that
requires additional protocol support commonly used for internet radio
broadcasting, and the necessary software support (which can be messy).

Bluetooth has audio support and dongle transmitters are readily
available.

For example.

Aukey Wireless Bluetooth Audio Transmitter Portable Bluetooth Stereo
Music Adapter Dongle with A2DP and aptX Low Latency Technology (BT-C1,
Black) - £13.99 & FREE Delivery
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PI6EEVW

But I think you don't need it with Plex....

Yes it is soley for music playback to a separate speaker which is not
wired to anything.

I used to stream the music via Plex on my tablet, and moved away from

You have a tablet that can stream... plug it into some active speakers -
job done!

No need to tit about with wireless speakers, bluetooth or any other
crap. You already have a source of line level auto that can play direct
from your NAS - all it needs is amplification and a speaker (or two).
Either provide that in separate boxes, or all in one with an active
speaker (i.e. one with built in amp).

--
Cheers,

John.