Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fed up with HP

Fed up with the reliability of HPs printers (Talking about the sub
£300 market here.) which seem to have gone down the tubes recently.
We've had 2 DOAs and at least 3 die within 6 months. Dealing with
their "Customer Support" is enough to give you severly raised blood
pressure. It's a pity, as i've been buying their kit and finding it
very reliable for years prior to this.

What brands are people having success with these days, or has the
downward trend in prices meant that they are all going the same way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
What brands are people having success with these days, or has the
downward trend in prices meant that they are all going the same way?

I've been pleased with price/reliability/performance of the Canon Pixma
series.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Fed up with the reliability of HPs printers (Talking about the sub
£300 market here.) which seem to have gone down the tubes recently.
We've had 2 DOAs and at least 3 die within 6 months. Dealing with
their "Customer Support" is enough to give you severly raised blood
pressure. It's a pity, as i've been buying their kit and finding it
very reliable for years prior to this.

What brands are people having success with these days, or has the
downward trend in prices meant that they are all going the same way?

I got fed up with the running costs of my not much used inkjet - seemed to
use more ink in cleaning than printing - and bought a Samsung ML-2240 mono
laser printer from CPC for 42.50 plus VAT. If you're a fairly heavy user
at that price they might be considered as disposable.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Cain" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
What brands are people having success with these days, or has the
downward trend in prices meant that they are all going the same way?

I've been pleased with price/reliability/performance of the Canon Pixma
series.

aolMe too!/aol

Particularly impressive is the paper handling. We print manuals on ours -
double sided A4. The built-in duplex is slow but we run "Print odd pages"
then turn them over and run "Print even pages" - it's much quicker that way.

I was telling someone only yesterday that, in the 15 months we've had the
Pixma - during which time we've printed several hundred double sided 60 page
manuals on it - the paper pick-up has not failed once.

That's probably cursed it now but that level of reliability is great. If you
can't rely on the paper pick-up, you have to watch every page get printed or
be prepared to ditch a whole load of manuals (we print three at a time)
because a page has been missed and the wrong even pages have been printed on
the back of the odd pages.

And, whilst on the subject, I have no association with them other than as
customer but I can heartily recommend ink.co.uk

http://tinyurl.com/56qgpf

Ink cartridges at 0.37p instead of £10 makes an enormous difference to the
running costs though we use their more expensive (£1.47!) cartridges that
dry that bit quicker which is important for us.

When we look at new printers, we always draw up a short list and then
research the prices of compatible cartridges. All other things being equal,
the cartridge price is the decider - probably saving a thousand pounds a
year in running costs.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

PeterMcC wrote:
"Roger Cain" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
[...]

I got a nasty 'attacked detected' message when I tried to use that tiny
URL - or ink.co.uk.

Attack detected!

This attack has been detected and access has been denied:
83.170.115.5 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB;
rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14 Mnenhy/0.7.5.666

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 10:36*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

Fed up with the reliability of HPs printers (Talking about the sub
£300 market here.) which seem to have gone down the tubes recently.
We've had 2 DOAs and at least 3 die within 6 months. *Dealing with
their "Customer Support" is enough to give you severly raised blood
pressure. *It's a pity, as i've been buying their kit and finding it
very reliable for years prior to this.
What brands are people having success with these days, or has the
downward trend in prices meant that they are all going the same way?

I got fed up with the running costs of my not much used inkjet - seemed to
use more ink in cleaning than printing - and bought a Samsung ML-2240 mono
laser printer from CPC for 42.50 plus VAT. If you're a fairly heavy user
at that price they might be considered as disposable.

I bought a Samsung ML1510 a few years ago when they were "half price"
for £50 in Staples and I can't fault it. A new toner cartridge can
cost more than the printer did.

Are laset refill kits any good? I probably use about 1 cartridge a
year.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Oct 30, 10:36 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Yes and no. I did get one once, but on my machine - HP LJ5MP - the drum
gets replaced with the toner, and on that refill the drum went squiffy
before the ink ran out.

Friend virtually wrecked a huge Ricoh A3 color laser using refilled
cartridges..all the ink wouldn't fuse properly. clogged something up.

So once every 18 months I get a new £60 quid toner/drum from HP, and
regard that as running costs for the 5 reams put through it.

They do give you a box to send it back FOC as well..the empty one.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Fed up with the reliability of HPs printers (Talking about the sub
£300 market here.) which seem to have gone down the tubes recently.
We've had 2 DOAs and at least 3 die within 6 months. Dealing with
their "Customer Support" is enough to give you severly raised blood
pressure. It's a pity, as i've been buying their kit and finding it
very reliable for years prior to this.

What brands are people having success with these days, or has the
downward trend in prices meant that they are all going the same way

Aldi on Thursday(Today) are doing a HP Colour Laser printer for £149

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Its this modern brand destruction cheap inkjet crap that is to be
avoided.

I blame Carly Fiorino.

So do HP's shareholders.

And who allowed the world's No 5 computer company to walk away with the
HP brand name, leaving the world's No 1 test equipment company to find a
new one?

But the Agilent board had only themselves to blame for picking that
particular name (anagrams, anyone?). Then a few years later, to prove it
wasn't a fluke, they renamed their semiconductor operation "Avago".

Over the past few years we have found that the camera, scanner and
inkjet that best met our needs all came from Canon. The only exception
is the old HP LJ4+ which just keeps on going.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Oct 30, 10:36 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Talk to Cartridge world. I use them for a school with a £2k annual
consumables budget and find them reliable and helpful with cartridges
(ink and laser) at around half manufacturers recommended. They deal
with problems immediatelty, teplacing faulty cartridges. Having said
that they are afranchise operation and I may have struck lucky. I will
not buy a printer without talking to them about the availability of
refills. They also supply printers at competative prices.

I agree that the Canon Pixma series are good value with reasonable
priced refills (around £4 with a quick drying ink

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
PeterMcC wrote:

snip
[...]

I'm terribly sorry about that - and completely baffled.

I should say immediately that I've never had a problem with them or their
site.

I've just visited it, and used the tinyurl, using Firefox 3.0.3, IE 7 and 8
on both Vista and XP loaded with so many anti-virus / defender / resident
shield/ firewalls that they drive me mad sometimes and yet I can't get a
squeek out of any of them.

I've emailed them to see what ink.co.uk say - and I'll report back once I
get a reply.

Shame 'cos I've found them to be really good value and, as I say, they have
been no problem at all.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:21:42 GMT, George wrote:

Aldi on Thursday(Today) are doing a HP Colour Laser printer for £149

I get the feeling the OP doesn't want another HP within 100yds of his
place. B-) Mind you he doesn't say what type of HP printer has given so
much grief so I assigned the post to the spam/troll category.

The only reason I'm responding is because I saw that offer and am half in
the market for a colour laser. I tried to find more information about that
printer and failed on the number given from Aldi CP1514 (with or without
the N), which makes me suspicious that it is some sort of "special" from
HP. Now it might be identical to another number printer or it might not....

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:21:42 GMT, George wrote:

Aldi on Thursday(Today) are doing a HP Colour Laser printer for £149

I get the feeling the OP doesn't want another HP within 100yds of his
place. B-) Mind you he doesn't say what type of HP printer has given so
much grief so I assigned the post to the spam/troll category.

The only reason I'm responding is because I saw that offer and am half in
the market for a colour laser. I tried to find more information about that
printer and failed on the number given from Aldi CP1514 (with or without
the N), which makes me suspicious that it is some sort of "special" from
HP. Now it might be identical to another number printer or it might not...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Might be a spankin new model? as there is the 1512 on HP site at £179.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian White wrote:
Over the past few years we have found that the camera, scanner and
inkjet that best met our needs all came from Canon.

I've got a Cannon i865 printer and the cost of the inks is ridiculous.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm wrote:

Talk to Cartridge world. I use them for a school with a £2k annual
consumables budget and find them reliable and helpful with cartridges
(ink and laser) at around half manufacturers recommended. They deal
with problems immediatelty, teplacing faulty cartridges. Having said
that they are afranchise operation and I may have struck lucky. I will
not buy a printer without talking to them about the availability of
refills. They also supply printers at competative prices.

I have been very unimpressed with Cartridge World's laser toner
cartridges. On my 600 dpi HP printer they give very poor quality
prints that lack the deep blacks and fine detail of the HP toner.

However, I was impressed with Cartridge World's response; I obtained a
100% credit for the part-used recycled toner cartridge against a new
HP cartridge. The HP cartridge is excellent.

I have never used them for ink cartridges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

PeterMcC wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
PeterMcC wrote:

snip
[...]

I certainly don't blame you - but thought I'd better shout now.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:21:42 GMT, George wrote:

Aldi on Thursday(Today) are doing a HP Colour Laser printer for £149

I get the feeling the OP doesn't want another HP within 100yds of his
place. B-) Mind you he doesn't say what type of HP printer has given so
much grief so I assigned the post to the spam/troll category.

The only reason I'm responding is because I saw that offer and am half in
the market for a colour laser. I tried to find more information about that
printer and failed on the number given from Aldi CP1514 (with or without
the N), which makes me suspicious that it is some sort of "special" from
HP. Now it might be identical to another number printer or it might not...

The "cheap" colour laser printer is just a mirage. All they have done
is loaded the price of the toner cartridges and subsidised the initial
cost of the printer, knowing you will have to spend far more on toner
than you could have believed. The toner cartridges that come with the
printer are less than 25% filled and so will very soon need to be
replaced with the mind-blowingly expensive full ones.

It's the same principle as buying a "cheap" £40 all-in-one inkjet
printer/scanner/fax/copier and then facing a bill of £60 for a set of
ink cartridges within a couple of weeks. Been there, done that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
[...]

There's one born every minute really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Ian White wrote:
Over the past few years we have found that the camera, scanner and
inkjet that best met our needs all came from Canon.

I've got a Cannon i865 printer and the cost of the inks is ridiculous.

That's true of just about all printer brands and models

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Ian White wrote:
Over the past few years we have found that the camera, scanner and
inkjet that best met our needs all came from Canon.

I've got a Cannon i865 printer and the cost of the inks is ridiculous.

That's true of just about all printer brands and models

It getting cheaper to fill the car up with fuel, than it is to buy ink for
our printer. No Joke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I've got a Cannon i865 printer and the cost of the inks is ridiculous.

That's true of just about all printer brands and models

It getting cheaper to fill the car up with fuel, than it is to buy ink for
our printer. No Joke.

You're right.

My last bill for ink for a basic Dell printer was just north of £60.
The printer (an "all in one" Lexmark clone) came free with a PC, but
would normally have cost only about £40.

A warning came up within a week that new cartridges were needed, but I
kept them going until the ink ran out two months later, and only then
replaced them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I've got a Cannon i865 printer and the cost of the inks is ridiculous.

That's true of just about all printer brands and models

It getting cheaper to fill the car up with fuel, than it is to buy ink

for
our printer. No Joke.

You're right.

My last bill for ink for a basic Dell printer was just north of £60.
The printer (an "all in one" Lexmark clone) came free with a PC, but
would normally have cost only about £40.

A warning came up within a week that new cartridges were needed, but I
kept them going until the ink ran out two months later, and only then
replaced them.

It was £58 to fill the car up and £62 (colour and black) to buy ink
cartridges for our HP all-in-one. The fifty eight pounds for fuel will
normally last me about 2 weeks, back and forward to work. The sixty two
pounds for ink will also last for about two weeks because we use the machine
to fax, copy and print all our work stuff.

So it is actually cheaper to fill the car with fuel, than it is to buy the
ink to refill the printer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote:

It was £58 to fill the car up and £62 (colour and black) to buy ink
cartridges for our HP all-in-one. The fifty eight pounds for fuel will
normally last me about 2 weeks, back and forward to work. The sixty two
pounds for ink will also last for about two weeks because we use the machine
to fax, copy and print all our work stuff.

So it is actually cheaper to fill the car with fuel, than it is to buy the
ink to refill the printer.

An all-in-one laser (monochrome) would be a good idea. You could keep
the inkjet for the occasions when you need colour.

I had my business letterheads redesigned so they would look good in
black toner on cream paper, rather than black and colours on white.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:45:46 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

It getting cheaper to fill the car up with fuel, than it is to buy ink
for our printer. No Joke.

What do you mean getting? Lets say unleaded is £1/l or 0.1p/ml. Lets also
assume a cartridge holds 25ml of ink so that is 0.25p for the ink. How
much are the cheapest cartridges again? Lets say £2.50 for 25ml or 10p/ml
or £100/l.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
So it is actually cheaper to fill the car with fuel, than it is to buy the
ink to refill the printer.

An all-in-one laser (monochrome) would be a good idea. You could keep
the inkjet for the occasions when you need colour.

As I said way back up-thread, that is exactly what we do with the old
LJ4+.

I had my business letterheads redesigned so they would look good in
black toner on cream paper, rather than black and colours on white.

That too. As soon as laser printers became affordable for a small
business, we stopped buying pre-printed stationery.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in news:e39578a0-f95b-45ac-8d6d-a8443a671084
@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Fed up with the reliability of HPs printers (Talking about the sub
£300 market here.) which seem to have gone down the tubes recently.
We've had 2 DOAs and at least 3 die within 6 months. Dealing with
their "Customer Support" is enough to give you severly raised blood
pressure. It's a pity, as i've been buying their kit and finding it
very reliable for years prior to this.

What brands are people having success with these days, or has the
downward trend in prices meant that they are all going the same way?

My experience of HP printers is good - but then I only run old ones!

I have several HP LaserJet 6P mono laser printers - v. good as a low
volume personal printer (P = personal, geddit?). Original toner
cartridges (well, I think they're actually combined toner + drum) can
be bought on eBay for under £10. You should be able to pick up the
printer also on eBay for under £20.

For colour, I have a HP Color LaserJet 4500. A big old beast to be
sure, and the consumable costs were once v. high. But now it's
obsolete, a complete set of toners (C+M+Y+K) can be picked up for £40
and will last years (?) in a home/home office setup. OK, you will still
have to budget for the occasional drum or fuser, but again these are
now afordable and will last years.

I fitted the LJ 4500 with the maximum memory + Ethernet network
interface (embedded printserver) + duplex unit, all bought on eBay for
a v. modest price. I run it as a networked wireless printer by
connecting it to a wireless client device. A solid (very solid!)
product indeed. It does fail the Wife Acceptance Factor though, on
account of its size

The best part is - it only cost £10...

More recently, I bought a HP Photosmart D7460 inkjet for my father in
law. Good quality photo printing, Ethernet + wireless (802.11g +
Bluetooth) networking. Cost £66 direct from HP. Ink cartridges (of
which there are six!) are expensive, but I also bought a 3rd party
'continuous ink supply system' with external reservoirs on eBay. That
should see out FIL's lifetime use...

Kind regards

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:
It was £58 to fill the car up and £62 (colour and black) to buy ink
cartridges for our HP all-in-one. The fifty eight pounds for fuel will
normally last me about 2 weeks, back and forward to work. The sixty two
pounds for ink will also last for about two weeks because we use the
machine to fax, copy and print all our work stuff.

Surely at that sort of usage a laser would make sense?

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
BigWallop wrote:
It was £58 to fill the car up and £62 (colour and black) to buy ink
cartridges for our HP all-in-one. The fifty eight pounds for fuel will
normally last me about 2 weeks, back and forward to work. The sixty two
pounds for ink will also last for about two weeks because we use the
machine to fax, copy and print all our work stuff.

Surely at that sort of usage a laser would make sense?

We've tried all of them and have found that HP All-in-One (don't remember
model No.) works the best for our needs. Admittedly we go through more
black ink than we do the colour cartridge, but it still costs a lot to keep
the thing going.

Thanks heavens for "Cartridge World" http://www.cartridgeworld.co.uk , or
we'd go bust paying for the ink on our invoices. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 156147 20081030 194546 "BigWallop" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Ian White wrote:
Over the past few years we have found that the camera, scanner and
inkjet that best met our needs all came from Canon.

I've got a Cannon i865 printer and the cost of the inks is ridiculous.

That's true of just about all printer brands and models

It getting cheaper to fill the car up with fuel, than it is to buy ink for
our printer. No Joke.

Genuine Epson ink for my printer is £1800 per litre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
[...]

You need a laser printer.

£60 of new drum and toner on my 5MP will last about 4-6 reams of paper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote:
It was £58 to fill the car up and £62 (colour and black) to buy ink
cartridges for our HP all-in-one. The fifty eight pounds for fuel will
normally last me about 2 weeks, back and forward to work. The sixty two
pounds for ink will also last for about two weeks because we use the machine
to fax, copy and print all our work stuff.

So it is actually cheaper to fill the car with fuel, than it is to buy the
ink to refill the printer.

An all-in-one laser (monochrome) would be a good idea. You could keep
the inkjet for the occasions when you need colour.

I had my business letterheads redesigned so they would look good in
black toner on cream paper, rather than black and colours on white.

I had mine printed in blue on a cream paper, and stuffed them in a black
and white laser.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
So it is actually cheaper to fill the car with fuel, than it is to buy
the ink to refill the printer.

You need a laser printer.

£60 of new drum and toner on my 5MP will last about 4-6 reams of paper.

And the paper is cheaper too.

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
[...]

You need an old LJ4, they will run to 6 reams on a £20 cartridge.
And they never break (well not for 200000 pages anyway).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
So it is actually cheaper to fill the car with fuel, than it is to buy
the ink to refill the printer.

You need a laser printer.

£60 of new drum and toner on my 5MP will last about 4-6 reams of paper.

And the paper is cheaper too.

is it?
I just buy the cheapest anyway.
80gm I think
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
So it is actually cheaper to fill the car with fuel, than it is to
buy the ink to refill the printer.

You need a laser printer.

£60 of new drum and toner on my 5MP will last about 4-6 reams of
paper.

And the paper is cheaper too.

is it? I just buy the cheapest anyway. 80gm I think

Plain paper doesn't work with an inkjet.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
So it is actually cheaper to fill the car with fuel, than it is to
buy the ink to refill the printer.

You need a laser printer.
£60 of new drum and toner on my 5MP will last about 4-6 reams of
paper.
And the paper is cheaper too.

is it? I just buy the cheapest anyway. 80gm I think

Plain paper doesn't work with an inkjet.

Doesn't it? seems to on my plotter..