Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterMcC PeterMcC is offline

Default Fed up with HP

"Roger Cain" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
What brands are people having success with these days, or has the
downward trend in prices meant that they are all going the same way?

I've been pleased with price/reliability/performance of the Canon Pixma
series.

aolMe too!/aol

Particularly impressive is the paper handling. We print manuals on ours -
double sided A4. The built-in duplex is slow but we run "Print odd pages"
then turn them over and run "Print even pages" - it's much quicker that way.

I was telling someone only yesterday that, in the 15 months we've had the
Pixma - during which time we've printed several hundred double sided 60 page
manuals on it - the paper pick-up has not failed once.

That's probably cursed it now but that level of reliability is great. If you
can't rely on the paper pick-up, you have to watch every page get printed or
be prepared to ditch a whole load of manuals (we print three at a time)
because a page has been missed and the wrong even pages have been printed on
the back of the odd pages.

And, whilst on the subject, I have no association with them other than as
customer but I can heartily recommend ink.co.uk

http://tinyurl.com/56qgpf

Ink cartridges at 0.37p instead of £10 makes an enormous difference to the
running costs though we use their more expensive (£1.47!) cartridges that
dry that bit quicker which is important for us.

When we look at new printers, we always draw up a short list and then
research the prices of compatible cartridges. All other things being equal,
the cartridge price is the decider - probably saving a thousand pounds a
year in running costs.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,