Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metric bearings in imperial wheel rims

Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.

The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Regards

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.

The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Hmm, you're either a troll or you have absolutely no idea what you're
talking about. Wheels mount onto a flange on a hub, in which is
contained the wheel bearing. ...or I've missed something
completely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.

The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Hmm, you're either a troll or you have absolutely no idea what you're
talking about. Wheels mount onto a flange on a hub, in which is
contained the wheel bearing. ...or I've missed something
completely.

These are not car wheels, and from the size of the bearing i would have
thought that was obvious. These are 8 inch diameter wheels for mounting
on a small buggy. The bearings fit into the rims, and then onto a 17mm
axle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Oct 2006 07:02:00 -0700, "Mark Trueman"
wrote:

|Hi there,
|
|I am looking to buy the following from the usa
|
|http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html
|
|The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
|bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
|mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
|required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.
|

|The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
|accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
|bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
|slightly compressed?

Your local bearing shop can get whatever you want, metric or imperial.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|Hi there,
|
|I am looking to buy the following from the usa
|
|http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html
|
|The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
|bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
|mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
|required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.
|

|The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
|accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
|bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
|slightly compressed?

Your local bearing shop can get whatever you want, metric or imperial.

But not, as it appears, a bearing with an imperial OD of 1+3/8 and a
metric ID of 17mm. Well at least not the company i tried to get
bearings from anyway. Maybe i will have luck elsewhere, but was given
the impression that this bearing would not be available anywhere.

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Oct 2006 08:20:46 -0700, "Mark Trueman"
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| On 23 Oct 2006 07:02:00 -0700, "Mark Trueman"
| wrote:
|
| |Hi there,
| |
| |I am looking to buy the following from the usa
| |
| |http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html
| |
| |The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
| |bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
| |mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
| |required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.
| |
| |
| |The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
| |accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
| |bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
| |slightly compressed?
|
| Your local bearing shop can get whatever you want, metric or imperial.
| --
| Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Google Groups is IME the *worst*
| method of accessing usenet. GG subscribers would be well advised get a
| newsreader, say Agent, and a newsserver, say news.individual.net. These
| will allow them: to see only *new* posts, a killfile, and other goodies.
|
|But not, as it appears, a bearing with an imperial OD of 1+3/8 and a
|metric ID of 17mm. Well at least not the company i tried to get
|bearings from anyway. Maybe i will have luck elsewhere, but was given
|the impression that this bearing would not be available anywhere.

http://www.qbcbearings.com/B610/PDF/B610T001.pdf will probably tell you.

IIRC .075 mm or 3 thou is a very heavy drive fit. Google for "drive fit"
"push fit", We used to have tables of such things, but I can not find them
on Google.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
6 6 is offline

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.

The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Spin the hub in a lathe and ease out the 0.003" with emery.
Alternatively, if it's not a high speed bearing or something under extreme
load you can warm up the hub (If poss with a blowtorch) and press the
bearing in.
3 thou is quite a good interference fit.

I would ease the hub diameter out myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.

The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Take the extra bit of metal off the ID of the wheel so you can use standard
bearings?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Trueman wrote:
wrote:

These are not car wheels, and from the size of the bearing i would have
thought that was obvious. These are 8 inch diameter wheels for mounting
on a small buggy. The bearings fit into the rims, and then onto a 17mm
axle.

That'll teach me to speed read postings :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.

The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

That sounds well within 'tap it gently with a hammer' range, or 'heat
the housing with a blowlamp first'

Regards

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.

The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Hmm, you're either a troll or you have absolutely no idea what you're
talking about. Wheels mount onto a flange on a hub, in which is
contained the wheel bearing. ...or I've missed something
completely.

You have missed the actual URL which shows an 8" split rim alloy wheel
with integral bearing housings
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|Hi there,
|
|I am looking to buy the following from the usa
|
|http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html
|
|The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
|bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
|mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
|required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.
|

|The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
|accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
|bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
|slightly compressed?

Your local bearing shop can get whatever you want, metric or imperial.

But not, as it appears, a bearing with an imperial OD of 1+3/8 and a
metric ID of 17mm. Well at least not the company i tried to get
bearings from anyway. Maybe i will have luck elsewhere, but was given
the impression that this bearing would not be available anywhere.

So ream out the wheels...if you can't take off .075mm with a bit of
emery you don't deserve to be posting in UK.d-i-y
Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

6 .@. wrote:

[...]

3 thou on the diameter - nearly 10 on the circumference - is certainly an
interference fit. Good chance of cracking the aluminium wheel if you force
it in. Same with heating it - it may crack when it cools. Better to machine
it out, as you say.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So ream out the wheels...if you can't take off .075mm with a bit of
emery you don't deserve to be posting in UK.d-i-y

I know absolutely nothing about metalwork, its not something i have
ever had to do. (does this lack of knowledge in one area mean that i
dont deserve to post here? its never stopped dimm and his dual combi
********)

Is it worth getting a sheet metal fabricators (i know one) to do this
for me, or is it something that can be done by hand? I suppose i'll get
the tinned reply, "if you have to ask then its best to get it done by a
pro", but if not, do i need to buy any special tools to do this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Mark
Trueman writes

So ream out the wheels...if you can't take off .075mm with a bit of
emery you don't deserve to be posting in UK.d-i-y

I know absolutely nothing about metalwork, its not something i have
ever had to do. (does this lack of knowledge in one area mean that i
dont deserve to post here? its never stopped dimm and his dual combi
********)

Aren't you just around the corner from my factory ?

Pop round with it and I can take a look

unit 6 paramount ind est
sandown road
229224

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Mark Trueman wrote:
So ream out the wheels...if you can't take off .075mm with a bit of
emery you don't deserve to be posting in UK.d-i-y

I know absolutely nothing about metalwork, its not something i have
ever had to do. (does this lack of knowledge in one area mean that i
dont deserve to post here? its never stopped dimm and his dual combi
********)

Is it worth getting a sheet metal fabricators (i know one) to do this
for me, or is it something that can be done by hand? I suppose i'll get
the tinned reply, "if you have to ask then its best to get it done by a
pro", but if not, do i need to buy any special tools to do this.

An old fashioned jobbing garage would be what you want - king pins etc had
to be re-bushed at one time and they'd have adjustable reamers.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message .com, Mark
Trueman writes

So ream out the wheels...if you can't take off .075mm with a bit of
emery you don't deserve to be posting in UK.d-i-y

I know absolutely nothing about metalwork, its not something i have
ever had to do. (does this lack of knowledge in one area mean that i
dont deserve to post here? its never stopped dimm and his dual combi
********)

Aren't you just around the corner from my factory ?

Pop round with it and I can take a look

unit 6 paramount ind est
sandown road
229224

--
geoff

Geoff,

Thanks for the offer. Havent got the wheels yet, but now i know that
it's doable im going to get them ordered. Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Doki wrote:
The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Take the extra bit of metal off the ID of the wheel so you can use standard
bearings?

If you can get one bearing thats got slightly too much metal, then you
can get two with the same ease. So take the metal off the easy-to-replace
part, not off the hard to replace part.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan Karley" .group
wrote in message
s.group...
In article , Doki wrote:
The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Take the extra bit of metal off the ID of the wheel so you can use
standard
bearings?

If you can get one bearing thats got slightly too much metal, then
you
can get two with the same ease. So take the metal off the easy-to-replace
part, not off the hard to replace part.

1) Isn't turning a bearing in a lathe going to be a pain in the arse.

2) Do the wheel and you only have to do it once, do the bearings and you'll
need to do it every time you change them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:48:54 +0100, Aidan Karley
.group wrote:

|In article , Doki wrote:
| The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
| accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
| bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
| slightly compressed?
|
| Take the extra bit of metal off the ID of the wheel so you can use standard
| bearings?
|
| If you can get one bearing thats got slightly too much metal, then you
|can get two with the same ease. So take the metal off the easy-to-replace
|part, not off the hard to replace part.

Bearings are Hardened Steel and an absolute swine to machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:

"Aidan Karley" .group
wrote in message
s.group...
In article , Doki wrote:
The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get
the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Take the extra bit of metal off the ID of the wheel so you can use
standard
bearings?

If you can get one bearing thats got slightly too much metal,
then you
can get two with the same ease. So take the metal off the easy-to-replace
part, not off the hard to replace part.

1) Isn't turning a bearing in a lathe going to be a pain in the arse.

Yes. Bearing shells are case hardened steel and most tools will bounce
straight off. You need to hone them. Non trivial

Whereas mild steel alloy or bronze would be likely for the housings, and
its easily cut or abraded.

2) Do the wheel and you only have to do it once, do the bearings and
you'll need to do it every time you change them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is 34.925
mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of 17mm, which is
required for my application, however, the OD of the UK bearing is 35mm.

The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get the
bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Hi,

Why not buy the bearings from the US too, don't the above company
supply them as an option?

cheers,
Pete.