Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Metric bearings in imperial wheel rims

6 .@. wrote:

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I am looking to buy the following from the usa

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls8a.html

The problem i have however is with bearing sizes. The O/D of the
bearings required for this wheel are 1+3/8 of an inch, which is
34.925 mm. I can source bearings in this country with an I/D of
17mm, which is required for my application, however, the OD of the
UK bearing is 35mm. The question is, will a 35mm bearing fit in the hub
that is built to
accept 34.925mm bearings? Will it just be a bit of a squeeze to get
the bearing in? Will there be any problem with the bearing if it is
slightly compressed?

Spin the hub in a lathe and ease out the 0.003" with emery.
Alternatively, if it's not a high speed bearing or something under
extreme load you can warm up the hub (If poss with a blowtorch) and
press the bearing in.
3 thou is quite a good interference fit.

I would ease the hub diameter out myself.

3 thou on the diameter - nearly 10 on the circumference - is certainly an
interference fit. Good chance of cracking the aluminium wheel if you force
it in. Same with heating it - it may crack when it cools. Better to machine
it out, as you say.
--
Cheers,
Roger