How big is a double garage?

Old February 26th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How big is a double garage?

Having lost a large chunk of my built-in garage in order to make a bathroom
for a disabled relative, I'm looking at the feasibility of having a
stand-alone garage built - but don't have an infinite amount of space -
quite apart from planning issues with building lines etc.

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.
Obviously, I want to make it as big as space and planners permit - but is
there a size below which it wouldn't qualify as a double?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 26th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:45:40 -0000, Roger Mills (aka Set Square)
wrote:

dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.

Length depends on cars, check a Volvo Estate. Double doors are 14'
wide, and you need at least two lengths of brick either side.

--
Nigel M
Old February 26th 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet
wide.

Length depends on cars, check a Volvo Estate.

Indeed - my V70 (not latest model) is just under 16' including towball. I
wouldn't really want it to be a shoe-horn fit though.

Double doors are 14'
wide, and you need at least two lengths of brick either side.

Are you saying that at (say) 9" per brick, that makes the width 17'? That
would presumably be the overall (external rather than internal) width
though? Or are you saying that you need 2 bricks either side of the door in
addition to the thickness of the side walls? If so, why?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 26th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:54:03 -0000, "Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)"

wrote:

dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet
wide.

Length depends on cars, check a Volvo Estate.

Indeed - my V70 (not latest model) is just under 16' including towball. I
wouldn't really want it to be a shoe-horn fit though.

Double doors are 14'
wide, and you need at least two lengths of brick either side.

Are you saying that at (say) 9" per brick, that makes the width 17'? That
would presumably be the overall (external rather than internal) width
though? Or are you saying that you need 2 bricks either side of the door in
addition to the thickness of the side walls? If so, why?

I think that you need one double width each side - that's what mine
has. Alternate courses are with bricks positioned opposite ways
round. There are then brick pillars of the same dimensions along
each side and the intervening walls are single thickness brick.

I suppose that one could go for double thickness, although I'm glad
that mine wasn't built that way since I was able to fit Celotex in the
intervening spaces and get better insulation than could have been
achieved with cavity insulation - if there had been cavities.

--

..andy

Old February 26th 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills (aka Set Square) wrote:

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.

I think it's one of those very grey areas; a bit like a double bedroom
versus a single bedroom (terms which I've noticed estate agents seem to
have stopped using now).

Maybe worth obtaining the measurements of as many garages of friends and
acquaintances as you can, to ascertain norms?

We had a single garage built a few years ago, shoehorned onto the drive
area between us and next door; it was always going to be very tight for
space, and was built of single-skin block mainly to keep the width
down... however, slight cockup in that the construction necessitated
internal piers on the long walls to provide enough support - and guess
where they had to go? Yes, exactly where the driver's door opened. Oh
well; we never were going to get a car in there anyway....

David

Old February 27th 06, 12:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Having lost a large chunk of my built-in garage in order to make a bathroom
for a disabled relative, I'm looking at the feasibility of having a
stand-alone garage built - but don't have an infinite amount of space -
quite apart from planning issues with building lines etc.

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.
Obviously, I want to make it as big as space and planners permit - but is
there a size below which it wouldn't qualify as a double?

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

--

..andy

Old February 27th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Are you saying that at (say) 9" per brick, that makes the width 17'? That
would presumably be the overall (external rather than internal) width

One 14' door, 3" frame, 1" gap, 2x 9" bricks, 17' 8" external

Do it any narrower and you either have to reverse one car in, or buy a
left hand drive, otherwise you can't open the car door to get out!

Trust me, I've got ONE brick each side

--
Nigel M
Old February 27th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:16:05 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

This is what I did, designed the garage so it was just under the
maximum size. Big, big mistake (see previous reply).

--
Nigel M
Old February 27th 06, 11:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:17:32 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:16:05 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

This is what I did, designed the garage so it was just under the
maximum size. Big, big mistake (see previous reply).

I believe that for BR purposes internal rather than external
dimensions apply....

--

..andy

Old February 27th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:16:05 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

This is what I did, designed the garage so it was just under the
maximum size. Big, big mistake (see previous reply).

I believe that for BR purposes internal rather than external
dimensions apply....

If it *is* internal, I could probably comply, although - since I'm going to
have to build over a public sewer - I think BR will apply anyway!
--
Cheers,
Roger