Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default How big is a double garage?

Roger Mills (aka Set Square) wrote:

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.

I think it's one of those very grey areas; a bit like a double bedroom
versus a single bedroom (terms which I've noticed estate agents seem to
have stopped using now).

Maybe worth obtaining the measurements of as many garages of friends and
acquaintances as you can, to ascertain norms?

We had a single garage built a few years ago, shoehorned onto the drive
area between us and next door; it was always going to be very tight for
space, and was built of single-skin block mainly to keep the width
down... however, slight cockup in that the construction necessitated
internal piers on the long walls to provide enough support - and guess
where they had to go? Yes, exactly where the driver's door opened. Oh
well; we never were going to get a car in there anyway....

David