Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

Default How big is a double garage?

In uk.d-i-y, Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:54:03 -0000, Roger Mills (aka Set Square)
wrote:

Are you saying that at (say) 9" per brick, that makes the width 17'? That
would presumably be the overall (external rather than internal) width

One 14' door, 3" frame, 1" gap, 2x 9" bricks, 17' 8" external

Do it any narrower and you either have to reverse one car in, or buy a
left hand drive, otherwise you can't open the car door to get out!

Trust me, I've got ONE brick each side

Our concrete garage is 4.95m wide and 4.90m deep (that's 16'3" by 16'1")
internal and it happily accommodates an Audi A4 estate, a Toyota RAV4,
and the usual gubbins (barbecue, pressure washer, garden chairs, garden
shredder, etc). We do need to reverse one car in, but one of us would
instinctively reverse in anyway, and the other wouldn't dream of it. (No
prizes for guessing which is which.) It's possible to fully open the
driver's door of both cars, but probably not simultaneously.

--
Mike Barnes