Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default How big is a double garage?

Having lost a large chunk of my built-in garage in order to make a bathroom
for a disabled relative, I'm looking at the feasibility of having a
stand-alone garage built - but don't have an infinite amount of space -
quite apart from planning issues with building lines etc.

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.
Obviously, I want to make it as big as space and planners permit - but is
there a size below which it wouldn't qualify as a double?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:45:40 -0000, Roger Mills (aka Set Square)
wrote:

dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.

Length depends on cars, check a Volvo Estate. Double doors are 14'
wide, and you need at least two lengths of brick either side.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

wrote:

dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet
wide.

Length depends on cars, check a Volvo Estate.

Indeed - my V70 (not latest model) is just under 16' including towball. I
wouldn't really want it to be a shoe-horn fit though.

Double doors are 14'
wide, and you need at least two lengths of brick either side.

Are you saying that at (say) 9" per brick, that makes the width 17'? That
would presumably be the overall (external rather than internal) width
though? Or are you saying that you need 2 bricks either side of the door in
addition to the thickness of the side walls? If so, why?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Please reply to newsgroup.
Reply address IS valid, but is disposable in the event of excessive
spam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:54:03 -0000, "Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)"

wrote:

dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet
wide.

Length depends on cars, check a Volvo Estate.

Indeed - my V70 (not latest model) is just under 16' including towball. I
wouldn't really want it to be a shoe-horn fit though.

Double doors are 14'
wide, and you need at least two lengths of brick either side.

Are you saying that at (say) 9" per brick, that makes the width 17'? That
would presumably be the overall (external rather than internal) width
though? Or are you saying that you need 2 bricks either side of the door in
addition to the thickness of the side walls? If so, why?

I think that you need one double width each side - that's what mine
has. Alternate courses are with bricks positioned opposite ways
round. There are then brick pillars of the same dimensions along
each side and the intervening walls are single thickness brick.

I suppose that one could go for double thickness, although I'm glad
that mine wasn't built that way since I was able to fit Celotex in the
intervening spaces and get better insulation than could have been
achieved with cavity insulation - if there had been cavities.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Roger Mills (aka Set Square) wrote:

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.

I think it's one of those very grey areas; a bit like a double bedroom
versus a single bedroom (terms which I've noticed estate agents seem to
have stopped using now).

Maybe worth obtaining the measurements of as many garages of friends and
acquaintances as you can, to ascertain norms?

We had a single garage built a few years ago, shoehorned onto the drive
area between us and next door; it was always going to be very tight for
space, and was built of single-skin block mainly to keep the width
down... however, slight cockup in that the construction necessitated
internal piers on the long walls to provide enough support - and guess
where they had to go? Yes, exactly where the driver's door opened. Oh
well; we never were going to get a car in there anyway....

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

Having lost a large chunk of my built-in garage in order to make a bathroom
for a disabled relative, I'm looking at the feasibility of having a
stand-alone garage built - but don't have an infinite amount of space -
quite apart from planning issues with building lines etc.

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.
Obviously, I want to make it as big as space and planners permit - but is
there a size below which it wouldn't qualify as a double?

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

wrote:

Are you saying that at (say) 9" per brick, that makes the width 17'? That
would presumably be the overall (external rather than internal) width

One 14' door, 3" frame, 1" gap, 2x 9" bricks, 17' 8" external

Do it any narrower and you either have to reverse one car in, or buy a
left hand drive, otherwise you can't open the car door to get out!

Trust me, I've got ONE brick each side

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:16:05 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

This is what I did, designed the garage so it was just under the
maximum size. Big, big mistake (see previous reply).

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:17:32 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:16:05 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

This is what I did, designed the garage so it was just under the
maximum size. Big, big mistake (see previous reply).

I believe that for BR purposes internal rather than external
dimensions apply....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:16:05 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

This is what I did, designed the garage so it was just under the
maximum size. Big, big mistake (see previous reply).

I believe that for BR purposes internal rather than external
dimensions apply....

If it *is* internal, I could probably comply, although - since I'm going to
have to build over a public sewer - I think BR will apply anyway!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Please reply to newsgroup.
Reply address IS valid, but is disposable in the event of excessive
spam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:55:52 -0000, "Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)"

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:16:05 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

This is what I did, designed the garage so it was just under the
maximum size. Big, big mistake (see previous reply).

I believe that for BR purposes internal rather than external
dimensions apply....

If it *is* internal, I could probably comply, although - since I'm going to
have to build over a public sewer - I think BR will apply anyway!

I found this

http://www.solihull.gov.uk/section.a...457&docid=1202

Of course planning permission is another discussion.
You will switch that on by virtue of size and probably height.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Roger Mills (aka Set Square)" wrote in message

I believe that for BR purposes internal rather than external
dimensions apply....

If it *is* internal, I could probably comply, although - since I'm going
to have to build over a public sewer - I think BR will apply anyway!

I think you will find BR apply anyway.
You just don't have an inspection/approval if its below a certain size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Having lost a large chunk of my built-in garage in order to make a bathroom
for a disabled relative, I'm looking at the feasibility of having a
stand-alone garage built - but don't have an infinite amount of space -
quite apart from planning issues with building lines etc.

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.
Obviously, I want to make it as big as space and planners permit - but is
there a size below which it wouldn't qualify as a double?

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

So long as it's also at least one metre from the property boundary.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote in message
oups.com...

dennis@home wrote:
"Roger Mills (aka Set Square)" wrote in
message

I believe that for BR purposes internal rather than external
dimensions apply....

If it *is* internal, I could probably comply, although - since I'm
going
to have to build over a public sewer - I think BR will apply anyway!

I think you will find BR apply anyway.
You just don't have an inspection/approval if its below a certain size.

In what way do you think they apply?

If a project is exempt from Building Regs approval then it is just
that, exempt, and the regulations do not apply.

Just because its exempt from approval doesn't mean that you can do what you
like, the regulations still apply.

It just means someone will have to complain before they will come and look.
If there is something wrong then an enforcement can be placed on the work
until it is fixed or it can be demolished at the owners expense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

wrote:

Are you saying that at (say) 9" per brick, that makes the width 17'? That
would presumably be the overall (external rather than internal) width

One 14' door, 3" frame, 1" gap, 2x 9" bricks, 17' 8" external

Do it any narrower and you either have to reverse one car in, or buy a
left hand drive, otherwise you can't open the car door to get out!

Trust me, I've got ONE brick each side

Our concrete garage is 4.95m wide and 4.90m deep (that's 16'3" by 16'1")
internal and it happily accommodates an Audi A4 estate, a Toyota RAV4,
and the usual gubbins (barbecue, pressure washer, garden chairs, garden
shredder, etc). We do need to reverse one car in, but one of us would
instinctively reverse in anyway, and the other wouldn't dream of it. (No
prizes for guessing which is which.) It's possible to fully open the
driver's door of both cars, but probably not simultaneously.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:19:35 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

Just because its exempt from approval doesn't mean that you can do what you
like, the regulations still apply.

How could they?

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:07:24 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

We do need to reverse one car in, but one of us would
instinctively reverse in anyway, and the other wouldn't dream of it

Yes, that's what we do, and probably the same way round ;-)

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:51:08 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:07:24 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

We do need to reverse one car in, but one of us would
instinctively reverse in anyway, and the other wouldn't dream of it

Yes, that's what we do, and probably the same way round ;-)

So when are you guys going to learn how to reverse?

You do know that the choke is not there to hang your handbag on, don't
you?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:07:24 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

We do need to reverse one car in, but one of us would
instinctively reverse in anyway, and the other wouldn't dream of it

Yes, that's what we do, and probably the same way round ;-)

So when are you guys going to learn how to reverse?

The difference is genetic. Technological progress will make reversing
skill obsolete long before natural selection makes it significantly more
widespread.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

dennis@home wrote:
"Roger Mills (aka Set Square)" wrote in
message

I believe that for BR purposes internal rather than external
dimensions apply....

If it *is* internal, I could probably comply, although - since I'm
going
to have to build over a public sewer - I think BR will apply anyway!

I think you will find BR apply anyway.
You just don't have an inspection/approval if its below a certain size.

In what way do you think they apply?

If a project is exempt from Building Regs approval then it is just
that, exempt, and the regulations do not apply.

Just because its exempt from approval doesn't mean that you can do what you
like, the regulations still apply.

The regulations are the process of approval. Exempt from approval means
exempt from the regulations.

It just means someone will have to complain before they will come and look.
If there is something wrong then an enforcement can be placed on the work
until it is fixed or it can be demolished at the owners expense.

No. That only happens (if at all) when the work should have been
approved (ie, it was within the scope of the regulations) but wasn't.

MBQ