r.p.mcmurphy

Default Dyson The Ball

Has any one bought one yet? any opinions? my hoover has given up the
ghost, and i bought a dc07 all floors for work and was quite impressed.
before i go and buy a dc07 i was wondering if its worth going for a 'Ball'
model?

Steve

Magician

Buy a Numatic Henry instead - runs rings round a Dyson at less than
half the price and more reliable to boot.

Dave

s--p--o--n--i--x

On 8 Apr 2005 08:01:12 -0700, "Magician"
wrote:

Buy a Numatic Henry instead - runs rings round a Dyson at less than
half the price and more reliable to boot.

I'd second that. Haven't bought one yet but intend to when our Dysons
give up the ghost.

spon

wrote:

Buy a Numatic Henry instead - runs rings round a Dyson at less than
half the price and more reliable to boot.

It depends on what the original poster wants the cleaner for.

If you want a machine that can suction up crap in the workshop or you
want a cleaner that you can really bash around then possibly a Henry.

However, if you want a cleaner that does not rapidly loose suction
after you change the bag then a Dyson.

We have a Henry at work. There is a significant drop off in suction
power after a few minutes of use with a new bag.

Graham

Magician

Hi Graham

However, if you want a cleaner that does not rapidly loose suction

after you change the bag then a Dyson.

Depends on the suction you have to begin with. Last test figures I
saw, a Henry with an 80% full bag still had more suction than a Dyson.

Apart from which, no need for a bag in a Henry anyway. The main filter
does the job and just needs ahaking out.

Dave

r.p.mcmurphy

it will be used for carpets, deep pile and short, solid wood floor and solid
tiled kitchen floors...we have 3 large hairy dogs, and two fluffy cats, so
must have a beater bar to remove hairs. we have log burning fires, so dust
is a problem in our house, so maximum retention is needed.

steve

John Stumbles

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
it will be used for carpets, deep pile and short, solid wood floor and solid
tiled kitchen floors...we have 3 large hairy dogs, and two fluffy cats, so
must have a beater bar to remove hairs. we have log burning fires, so dust
is a problem in our house, so maximum retention is needed.

Dunno how much they cost (not cheap I expect) but Mieles seem quite
good. Haven't got one myslef but I've used them a few times at other
people's places and always been impressed by them
Magician

Hi Steve

You need an upright vac. Not the cheapest, but if you can get hold of
a Sebo www.sebo.co.uk it will cope with everything you can throw at it
and more.

Dave

dmc

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:

Dunno how much they cost (not cheap I expect) but Mieles seem quite
good. Haven't got one myslef but I've used them a few times at other
people's places and always been impressed by them

My parents just last week gave up with their dyson and got a miele (cat and
dog model I seem to recall). They are very impressed so far and for under 20
quid a year you can get a parts and labour warranty from miele - that includes
them sending you 13 quids worth of bags and filters each year for 5 years.

It is quite and has a brush head that is powered by the suction - for another
90 quid or so you can get an electric powered brush head.

They paid 200 quid give or take a quid. Beware of places selling them cheaper
online - most of them seemed to be the lower powered model (my parents one
is 2kw).

As I say, they are well happy with it so far and its first go across the living
room picked up a lot of crap left by the dyson.

Darren - has a dyson and is relatively happy with it

chris French

In message .com,
Magician writes
Hi Graham

However, if you want a cleaner that does not rapidly loose suction

after you change the bag then a Dyson.

Depends on the suction you have to begin with. Last test figures I
saw, a Henry with an 80% full bag still had more suction than a Dyson.

Apart from which, no need for a bag in a Henry anyway. The main filter
does the job and just needs ahaking out.

I've lived in two places with Henrys, and was pretty happy with them -
and considered buying one when we moved tot his house. but have since
owned 2 Dysons (first one was stolen). I still think the performance of
the Dysons is better than the Henrys (hence buying the replacement). Of
course given the price differential, the Henry may well be considered to
be better value for money.

--
Chris French, Leeds
chris French

In message ,
r.p.mcmurphy writes
it will be used for carpets, deep pile and short, solid wood floor and solid
tiled kitchen floors...we have 3 large hairy dogs, and two fluffy cats, so
must have a beater bar to remove hairs. we have log burning fires, so dust
is a problem in our house, so maximum retention is needed.

Well, I'm still a fan of our Dyson (we have DC07 I think). We have the
'Turbo head' pipe attachment that works well at removing cat hairs from
places like rugs, upholstery, stairs etc. it's general performance at
removing our cat hairs seems fine.

If you prefer a cylinder then one of the models has motorized brush
head IIRC.
--
Chris French, Leeds

dmc wrote:

My parents just last week gave up with their dyson and got a miele (cat and
dog model I seem to recall). They are very impressed so far and for under 20
quid a year you can get a parts and labour warranty from miele - that includes
them sending you 13 quids worth of bags and filters each year for 5 years.

It is quite and has a brush head that is powered by the suction - for another
90 quid or so you can get an electric powered brush head.

The turbo brush is brilliant. Until it gets long hair wound round it. I
have had to strip ours down numerous times and it is surprisingly
awkward to get it working well again.

Also, it is truly dumb of them to supply just one filter with each pack
of bags. They must cost all of, umm, 0.2p each to make them - and
plaster really clogs them up quickly. A new filter with each bag would
be more sensible.

Rod
Kaiser

wrote:

Buy a Numatic Henry instead - runs rings round a Dyson at less than
half the price and more reliable to boot.

It depends on what the original poster wants the cleaner for.

If you want a machine that can suction up crap in the workshop or you
want a cleaner that you can really bash around then possibly a Henry.

However, if you want a cleaner that does not rapidly loose suction
after you change the bag then a Dyson.

We have a Henry at work. There is a significant drop off in suction
power after a few minutes of use with a new bag.

We have a DC08 Animal indoors and a Henry in the garage, I agree about the
drop in suction with the Henry. although it doesn't have anywhere near the
same amount of suction as the DC08 to start with.

The Henry is more robust and ok if you don't have dogs hairs to contend
with, but the DC08 copes much better with pet hairs, as we found with our 2
GSD's.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:09:09 +0100, "Toby Sleigh"
wrote:

Fourthed. Get a Henry for each floor.

Get the steel cased Henry (25 quid more) and you can just drop it
between floors.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:39:03 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

it will be used for carpets, deep pile and short, solid wood floor and solid
tiled kitchen floors...we have 3 large hairy dogs, and two fluffy cats, so
must have a beater bar to remove hairs. we have log burning fires, so dust
is a problem in our house, so maximum retention is needed.

Try a Dyson with a hepper filter.

I used to suffer from a mild dust alergy. Since we got a dyson with
the hepper filter my dust alergy has gone.

Graham

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 23:00:49 +0100, "Kaiser" wrote:

The Henry is more robust and ok if you don't have dogs hairs to contend
with, but the DC08 copes much better with pet hairs, as we found with our 2
GSD's.

GSD's?

Graham

The Natural Philosopher

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

Has any one bought one yet? any opinions? my hoover has given up the
ghost, and i bought a dc07 all floors for work and was quite impressed.
before i go and buy a dc07 i was wondering if its worth going for a 'Ball'
model?

Steve

No way. Having had to take all te dysons in to get them unblocked, I am
sick of teh ruddy things.

Designed by a man to be bought by women, to be fixed by men.

There a moral in there somewhere.

Kaiser

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

Has any one bought one yet? any opinions? my hoover has given up the
ghost, and i bought a dc07 all floors for work and was quite impressed.
before i go and buy a dc07 i was wondering if its worth going for a
'Ball' model?

Steve

No way. Having had to take all te dysons in to get them unblocked, I am
sick of teh ruddy things.

Designed by a man to be bought by women, to be fixed by men.

There a moral in there somewhere.

Firstly you can't take Dysons in, they come out to you.

They are amongst the easiest to take apart when you get a blockage.

After owning several Dysons over the years I have never known any of them to
get blocked. So god knows what you are doing with yours.

The Natural Philosopher

Kaiser wrote:

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

Has any one bought one yet? any opinions? my hoover has given up the
ghost, and i bought a dc07 all floors for work and was quite impressed.
before i go and buy a dc07 i was wondering if its worth going for a
'Ball' model?

Steve

No way. Having had to take all te dysons in to get them unblocked, I am
sick of teh ruddy things.

Designed by a man to be bought by women, to be fixed by men.

There a moral in there somewhere.

Firstly you can't take Dysons in, they come out to you.

Oh? sorry. I'll have to tell that to the wife who took them in to the
vaccum repairt shop and got them fixed.

Obviosuly she is in as much danger as bathing in paraffin and handling
candles.

They are amongst the easiest to take apart when you get a blockage.

No they are not actually..if the blockage happens inside the large tube
that connects the brush area to the cylinder area.. In fact you cannot
take them apart at all.

Its a rod job there, and I hand't got a suitable one.

I do love poepl who know so much, that ones actual direct physical
experience is obviously hallucinatory.

After owning several Dysons over the years I have never known any of them to
get blocked. So god knows what you are doing with yours.

I frankly don't touch them

She was vacuuming up threads and bits of dog hair and probably some of
the lamb shank he had left gnawed on the carpet.

Its a ditzy product for people who live ditzy lives. It doesn't cope
with REAL cleaning.
Kaiser

Kaiser wrote:

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

[...]

True then, I thought you may have been hallucinating.

After owning several Dysons over the years I have never known any of them
to get blocked. So god knows what you are doing with yours.

I frankly don't touch them

And you a dedicated DIY'er.

She was vacuuming up threads and bits of dog hair and probably some of the
lamb shank he had left gnawed on the carpet.

Probably vacuuming bull****.

raden

In message ,
r.p.mcmurphy writes
Has any one bought one yet? any opinions? my hoover has given up the
ghost, and i bought a dc07 all floors for work and was quite impressed.
before i go and buy a dc07 i was wondering if its worth going for a 'Ball'
model?

Maybe it should be renamed the "Testicle"

--
geoff

The Natural Philosopher

Kaiser wrote:

Kaiser wrote:

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

[...]

More than my lifes worth.
There are problems its dangerous to take ownership of.

Fixing (or not fixing) a machine I despise that SHE thinks is fantastic,
because she spent a ****load of cash on it and can't admit what a pile
of crap it is, is one of them.,

Junior Member

Ill go with that, they are poor when new and go Worse with age, Ive tried plenty of them and wouldn't give them a second thought. Electrolux make a 1600w one , still bagless and half the price. the main filter does start to block up but you just throw it in the washer and it comes out as new again and it will suck the brushes of a Dyson!
David

At last here is the key to Dysons. Bought DC01at a boot sale 5 years
ago for =A320 and use in my woodwork shop for all that dust. If i suck
up the big shavings by mistake i use a piece of metal rod to push out
of bottom chute. No hoses to flap around and empties in seconds. The
filters - blow out with an air gun - so simple. And easy to repair, the
cable was eventually pulled too tight at entry and repaired in 5 mins.
As a designer myself I can appreciate every design detail.

Frightening News - Dropping the "New Years Ball" indago Home Repair 0 January 1st 05 04:22 PM
ball valve, stopcock, gatevalve - which one??? a UK diy 3 August 30th 04 07:22 PM
Making Ball Sculpture/Kugelbahn Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 August 18th 04 05:19 AM
ball nose reamers Ryan Metalworking 6 October 18th 03 06:14 AM
Dyson DC04 switch removal. an other UK diy 0 October 15th 03 01:39 PM