Jeff Polaski

Default Making Ball Sculpture/Kugelbahn

I'd like a little advice on narrowing down the choice of a welder,
please. I'd like to make some of the rolling ball sculptures and some
other smallish sculptures. It will be fairly light weight, indoor kind
of stuff. There will be no massive multi-ton "industrial" sculpture.
For the ball sculptures, this is close to what I'm thinking of:
http://www.kugelbahn.ch/Cyclone_e.htm. Here is a nicely-done little
sculpture like what I'm thinking of:
http://www.geocities.com/weldingwalt/ek3chopper.html. Some of the
sculptures might have some heavier elements, like the supports for
this rolling ball sculptu http://www.kugelbahn.ch/wegnac_e.htm. I
plan on using O/A to weld the heavier stuff, but I'm really curious as
to what would be a good machine to weld the "wire" cage that the balls
roll in.

I'd think that a basic 110V mig welder would be ideal for this, or am
I missing something? I have a 220V outlet, so I might get a 220V
welder, but probaly not because of the extra cost. Or, am I making
this more complex than it needs to be, and brazing would be better?

Any one built somthing similar? I plan on using welding rod to get
started with the ball-races, but I'm sure I'll move on regular ~ 1/8"
steel rod. I plan on making a set of discs, or maybe a set cones, that
I can use to bend the races. I figure that and a peg board should work
to bend just about any raceway I'd want.

I have a decent metal/wood shop... metal lathe, drill press, etc... If
anyone would like a little more info, I have the basics of a site up
at: http://members.cox.net/jeffpolaski/. Right now there's not too
much up, just a bit about some of the tools, but I'll be adding more.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Polaski

Richard Ferguson

If you already have oxyacetylene, you can use it for small work with
small tips. In some cases, it will be easier to braze than weld, so OA
is good for that also. No matter the process, the thinner the material,
the harder it is to weld, brazing is almost always easier for thin or
small material.

My opinion is that TIG would be better than Mig for what you are doing,
but it is pricy. I think that I would start off with OA, which you
apparently already have.

Richard

Jeff Polaski wrote:

[...]

Hopsaddict

Jeff Polaski wrote in message . ..
[...]

Don't have any advice but that first ball scuplture is cooler ice.
Lane

[...]

Check out http://www.georgerhoads.com/ for more ball machines!

Jeff Polaski

On 16 Aug 2004 13:07:07 -0700, (Stephen) wrote:

Hi:

You might try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rollingballsculptures/

It is a stupendous resource for RBS.

Stephen

Thanks, they are a great resource! For example, one thing that might
be of use to the welding/metalworking crowd was a suggestion (by Eddie
Boes) for bending wire smoothly--use a traffic cone filled with
concrete! I've re-posted a fragment of the original message, below

I thought of making jigs, buying mechanical slip rolls, or
getting a large collection of round objects. The probelm
was, they all became more of a headace in cost or the
time it took time to apply the bends. My solution was
to find an object that was perfectly round and had a
varying radius from tip to bottom. What was this? A
simple traffic cone. I turned it bottom side up and
filled it with concrete. When dried, I attached it to a
base, and stood it upright. There you go, the perfect
wire bending tool. With it, I can bend wire track with
a diameter of about 5 inches to a track with a
diameter of about 2 feet.

(The link to his cone description was no longer working, but you can
visit his site at: http://www.eddiesmind.com/.)

Today I picked up a cone and a 90 lb. bag of cement from the local
Home Depot and started... It looks like it'll work perfectly, so any
one else that has similar wire bending needs might give it a try! If
any one's interested I'll keep the groups updated in a few days, after
I've actually bent some wire.