Jeff Polaski

Default Making Ball Sculpture/Kugelbahn

I'd like a little advice on narrowing down the choice of a welder,
please. I'd like to make some of the rolling ball sculptures and some
other smallish sculptures. It will be fairly light weight, indoor kind
of stuff. There will be no massive multi-ton "industrial" sculpture.
For the ball sculptures, this is close to what I'm thinking of:
http://www.kugelbahn.ch/Cyclone_e.htm. Here is a nicely-done little
sculpture like what I'm thinking of:
http://www.geocities.com/weldingwalt/ek3chopper.html. Some of the
sculptures might have some heavier elements, like the supports for
this rolling ball sculptu http://www.kugelbahn.ch/wegnac_e.htm. I
plan on using O/A to weld the heavier stuff, but I'm really curious as
to what would be a good machine to weld the "wire" cage that the balls
roll in.

I'd think that a basic 110V mig welder would be ideal for this, or am
I missing something? I have a 220V outlet, so I might get a 220V
welder, but probaly not because of the extra cost. Or, am I making
this more complex than it needs to be, and brazing would be better?

Any one built somthing similar? I plan on using welding rod to get
started with the ball-races, but I'm sure I'll move on regular ~ 1/8"
steel rod. I plan on making a set of discs, or maybe a set cones, that
I can use to bend the races. I figure that and a peg board should work
to bend just about any raceway I'd want.

I have a decent metal/wood shop... metal lathe, drill press, etc... If
anyone would like a little more info, I have the basics of a site up
at: http://members.cox.net/jeffpolaski/. Right now there's not too
much up, just a bit about some of the tools, but I'll be adding more.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Polaski