Chipper Shredder plans

Old June 3rd 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chipper Shredder plans

i have cleaned up a good bit of the lot and now have several piles of
yard waste to get rid of. I would like to chip and shred the stuff
and then rototill it in to some places where the soil could use more
organic matter. The closest place to dispose of yard waste is a fair
ways away and if I do that I still need to do something to improve the
soil.

So does anyone have plans for a well designed chipper shredder?

Dan
Old June 4th 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 6:20*pm, Rich Grise wrote:

So does anyone have plans for a well designed chipper shredder?

What am I missing here? Wouldn't it make more sense to rent one for a day
than to build one from scratch that you're only going to use once?

Have Fun!
Rich

I expect to use it every year. Right now I am looking at about a week
and a half of shredding. But probably only two or three days a year
after I get caught up.

Dan

Old June 4th 11, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

i have cleaned up a good bit of the lot and now have several piles of
yard waste to get rid of. I would like to chip and shred the stuff
and then rototill it in to some places where the soil could use more
organic matter. The closest place to dispose of yard waste is a fair
ways away and if I do that I still need to do something to improve the
soil.

So does anyone have plans for a well designed chipper shredder?

Woody material ( which is typically what people use chippers for ) isn't
going to improve the soil much by itself, you need to also add copious
amounts of green stuff, and it's better to compost it all in a pile first
rather than to simply till under.

In the absence of leafy greens, you can add high nitrogen fertilizer to the
pile but...

Anyways, I strongly suggest rent a commercial chipper with 35+hp engine if
you have several days worth of chipping to do, IOW a heavy duty trailer
mounted jobbie....then take your time find something off of craigslist or
nickle ads locally for future use.

As far as home-owner grade...definately pass on anything that uses a
verticle shaft lawnmower type motor or you'll be sorry...

As a point of refrence, mine is a "bearcat"....it's pto drive that attaches
to the 3point hitch on my tractor which has 23hp @ at 540...it is not a
"planer blade" type, rather, it has a disc that's about the size of a 33-1/3
rpm lp record and 3/8 in thick with a single tooth mounted to it....

RPM is increased via Vee belt appears to be 1 to 3 ratio so the main chipper
disc I would estimate runs ~2500 rpm, it is about 12 in diameter and has a
single tooth about 4in long located at about 10 inches along the diameter,
and is guaged to cut at a chipload of about .125 per revolution IIRC so
guessing it's probably processing at ~ 6000 or so sfm.

After that, the chips fall into what is basically a hammer mill, 4 rows of
with 6 flails each on a drum.... there is also a top hopper that you can use
to shove small dry sticks and green shubs and that kind of **** into...goes
directly to the hammermill...there is a screen under the hammermill that the
finished product falls out of....it's made from 1/4in steel and has ~1in
diameter holes drilled in a 1-1/2in grid pattern.

I might be able to get some pictures if your interested in the actual design
details but....

--my main point is that it's still not quite as powerfull as I would
like--IIRC it will run 3in diameter green woody branches at a rate of about
5 ft/ min on a good day but at that size material frequently have to stop
feeding in order to keep the engine from bogging down and possibly
stalling.....

FWIW, I have a fairly large burn pile I'm going to torch probably tomorrow
and pretty sure I haven't used the chipper in at least 5 years.

Oops--it's actually a "mighty mac"...it's probably rated ~4 x 4 in--sorry
but at quick glance I din't see any model numbers.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...hty-mac-sm.jpg

Again, suggest first try the rental unit, ~40 horsepower......get er done
!!!

Old June 4th 11, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why not rent one and put the chips where you want - and roto-till
the results into a compost pile or into the ground.

When Tree people were here to clear a line - I had two trucks dump
their loads on my side yard along our long driveway. We plan on
raking it out to improve the ground a bit like you. Now a year and
a half, most of each hill is great looking compost. Going to be
nice starter stuff. The stacks were smoking while they were cooking
and decomposing. I let them smoke. Fire was not my worry.

Martin

Old June 4th 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 17:06:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 3, 6:20*pm, Rich Grise wrote:

So does anyone have plans for a well designed chipper shredder?

What am I missing here? Wouldn't it make more sense to rent one for a day
than to build one from scratch that you're only going to use once?

Have Fun!
Rich

I expect to use it every year. Right now I am looking at about a week
and a half of shredding. But probably only two or three days a year
after I get caught up.

Dan

I use my **** shaker (compost screener) one day per year. The rest of
the time it takes up about 1.5 square feet of floor space in the shed.
IIRC it cost me about $5 to build it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old June 4th 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

FWIW, I have a fairly large burn pile I'm going to torch probably tomorrow
and pretty sure I haven't used the chipper in at least 5 years.

Other than the burn part....

I rented a monster chipper 8 years ago. Got a free "upgrade" in size (6"
to 9") since the rental place didn't have the size I reserved in working
order. VW engine (1600 cc.) Miserable, but effective, at least where
things had been piled specifically to get chipped. Unless they had
grapevines in them, which would jam the chipper up, so those had to be
removed (once you've cleared a 36" disc a few times, you learn to pull
the vines ahead of feeding the branches...) Random piles took too long
to disassemble to be efficient getting into the chipper.

I could use a decent hammermill for grinding up small stuff to rot
faster, but haven't found one I'd care to spend money on. Bigger "stuff
you might chip" mostly ends up as firewood.

So, I pile brush. If feeling moderately impatient, I pile horse manure
on the brush pile. With or without manure, the brush pile will shrink
over time. Either more brush gets added to the top, or the pile shrinks
to nothing. The active piles are worth manuring, just to weight them
down for more space to pile in the first place, and for the faster rot
(and further space created by shrinkage) in the second.

This will not work so well in desert climates, I suppose. Here, stuff
left out will inevitably rot, and do so faster if helped along.

Not so quick as chip or burn, but a lot simpler & quieter. Just pick an
out of the way spot and pile brush.

Old June 4th 11, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 9:43*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

Woody material ( which is typically what people use chippers for ) isn't
going to improve the soil much by itself, you need to also add copious
amounts of green stuff, and it's better to compost it all in a pile first
rather than to simply till under.

The soil here is mostly clay. In the area I cleared for a veggie
garden, I trucked in about 4 pickup loads of ground woody material
from the county yard waste yard and then added about five pickup loads
of horse manure last fall. It still has too much clay, but is a lot
better than it was.

As far as home-owner grade...definately pass on anything that uses a
verticle shaft lawnmower type motor or you'll be sorry...

Those are pretty much useless.

As a point of refrence, mine is a "bearcat"....it's pto drive that attaches
to the 3point hitch on my tractor which has 23hp @ at 540...it is not a
"planer blade" type, rather, it has a disc that's about the size of a 33-1/3
rpm lp record and 3/8 in thick with a single tooth mounted to it....

RPM is increased via Vee belt appears to be 1 to 3 ratio so the main chipper
disc I would estimate runs ~2500 rpm, it is about 12 in diameter and has a
single tooth about 4in long located at about 10 inches along the diameter,
and is guaged to cut at a chipload of about .125 per revolution IIRC so
guessing it's probably processing at ~ 6000 or so sfm.

Does the tooth chip the branch and the chip goes through the disk? I
had one more or less like that but then moved across country. As i
remember it had multiple teeth, I think it was two teeth. One tooth
might be better as far as bogging down the engine.

After that, the chips fall into what is basically a hammer mill, 4 rows of
with 6 flails each on a drum.... there is also a top hopper that you can use
to shove small dry sticks and green shubs and that kind of **** into...goes
directly to the hammermill...there is a screen under the hammermill that the
finished product falls out of....it's made from 1/4in steel and has ~1in
diameter holes drilled in a 1-1/2in grid pattern.

I might be able to get some pictures if your interested in the actual design
details but....

*--my main point is that it's still not quite as powerfull as I would
like--IIRC it will run 3in diameter green woody branches at a rate of about
5 ft/ min on a good day but at that size material frequently have to stop
feeding in order to keep the engine from bogging down and possibly
stalling.....

Most all the stuff I want to chip is smaller. More like an inch in
diameter.
I could live with a chipper that did not do 3 inch diameter limbs.
Those
I could haul to the county yard waste area.

FWIW, I have a fairly large burn pile I'm going to torch probably tomorrow
and pretty sure I haven't used the chipper in at least 5 years.

Can not burn where I am. At least not legally.

Dan

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...nts/47721d1133...

Old June 4th 11, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 10:18*pm, Ecnerwal
I could use a decent hammermill for grinding up small stuff to rot
faster, but haven't found one I'd care to spend money on. Bigger "stuff
you might chip" mostly ends up as firewood.

Me too.

--

I guess I am too impatient. One pile that could be in a more out of
the way place has shrunk from about 6 feet high to about 4 + feet high

Dan
Old June 4th 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 9:49*pm, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Why not rent one and put the chips where you want - and roto-till
the results into a compost pile or into the ground.

Martin

I like to build things. Where is the fun in renting?

Dan