Posted to alt.home.repair
Mac Cool

Default Chipper/Shredder Recommendation

I could use a good chipper/shredder. Anyone have a recommendation from
personal experience? or a good review source?

--
Mac Cool
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On 22 May 2006 02:31:55 GMT, Mac Cool wrote:

I could use a good chipper/shredder. Anyone have a recommendation from
personal experience? or a good review source?

I don't have specific recommendations. I have about 150 trees and own
a 8-HP chipper/shredder. The shoot pivots to the ground which is
great for leaves. There have been lots of times I wanted more power.
Emptying the bag is a drag--easier to discharge the output to the
ground. Look for cast parts, good wheels. A tight-fitting dust
mask, ear protection, leather gloves help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bought mine at sears MTD looks like toro 7.5 HP. HARD TO GET PARTS but
reasonable price 700 bucks looks like toro made by same company. Wore
out blade after chipping 50 30 gallon trash cans of trees sears ended
up giving me a brand new machine when they couldnt get parts, blade
wasnt available

Anyhow its one of those tools I ALWAYS wanted but regret buying and
have thhought of selling it.

troubles.....

unreal noisey, need ear plugs, realtively slow faster to put brush and
leaves in trash cans for garbage men, way dirty, from dust ICKY!

have to watch for branches with knots, they get stuck and its lots of
work removing them, machine large so it takes LOTS of storage space,
and finally people want to borrow it then they dont follow simple
instructions and get it jammed. nice hopper that leaves get stuck in. I
suspect its been designed to be idiot proof safe, but doesnt work well.

anyhow think long and hard before buying.

if your around pittsburgh i might just sell it, this one only has a
couple hours of run time on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , Mac Cool wrote:
I could use a good chipper/shredder. Anyone have a recommendation from
personal experience? or a good review source?

I'll give you a recommendation of one to avoid: the Sears/MTD model with a
plastic input chute for the chipper. Doesn't take long for the plastic to tear
out around the bolts that hold it to the metal body of the machine.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

Mac Cool wrote:
I could use a good chipper/shredder. Anyone have a recommendation from
personal experience? or a good review source?

--
Mac Cool

I want a chipper too. From what I can tell you can't have too much
power in a chipper. The only limit is your budget. I have 20
forested acres with lots of brush and deadfall. I really like the
chipper which attaches to a bobcat skidsteer. It is rated at 35hp!!
I know this probably isn't what you have in mind but remember you can
likely rent a bobcat and chipper if you don't own a skidsteer. Here is
a link for the chipper:

http://www.bobcat.com/products/att/chipper.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Mac Cool wrote:
I could use a good chipper/shredder. Anyone have a recommendation from
personal experience? or a good review source?

I plan to rent a big one from Taylor. Big enough to get my whole job
done in one day.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Mac Cool wrote:

I could use a good chipper/shredder. Anyone have a recommendation from
personal experience? or a good review source?

You gave no indication of the size machine you are thinking of. But if
perchance you need a "little one" for garden type stuff and autumn
leaves, DON'T get this one from Harbor Freight:

http://tinyurl.com/f2dty

I bought one for "around the home garden stuff" and found it was near
useless, I could have chewed the stuff up by mouth faster.

That was one of the few times I was thouroughly displeased with a Harbor
Freight item. I tried it a couple of times, then gave it to Goodwill and
took a charitable tax deduction for half what I paid for it.

When I did take down a few 3" to 8" trees last year and needed to get
rid of the brush I rented a chipper for a day.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mac Cool

Stubby:
I plan to rent a big one from Taylor. Big enough to get my whole job
done in one day.

I cut down a large maple and was going to rent a chipper... $200/day.

I hauled it to the city yard waste recycling center for $10.

--
Mac Cool
Posted to alt.home.repair
L. M. Rappaport

On 22 May 2006 02:31:55 GMT, Mac Cool wrote (with
possible editing):

I could use a good chipper/shredder. Anyone have a recommendation from
personal experience? or a good review source?

I would STRONGLY recommend you rent one first. I have 150 acres and
have rented three of them in the last 30 odd years. I wouldn't have
purchased any of them, but the only one that was any good was pretty
big - 35 hp tow behind units powered by a big diesel. I think once
you rent anything, you'll see that unless you use it commercially,
renting is fine. If you use it commercially, you'll buy something big
anyway. The smaller units ( 10 hp) are all pretty crappy - you'll
spend more time clearing the machine than you will chipping.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com