Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Chipper Shredder plans

wrote in message

i have cleaned up a good bit of the lot and now have several piles of
yard waste to get rid of. I would like to chip and shred the stuff
and then rototill it in to some places where the soil could use more
organic matter. The closest place to dispose of yard waste is a fair
ways away and if I do that I still need to do something to improve the
soil.

So does anyone have plans for a well designed chipper shredder?

Woody material ( which is typically what people use chippers for ) isn't
going to improve the soil much by itself, you need to also add copious
amounts of green stuff, and it's better to compost it all in a pile first
rather than to simply till under.

In the absence of leafy greens, you can add high nitrogen fertilizer to the
pile but...

Anyways, I strongly suggest rent a commercial chipper with 35+hp engine if
you have several days worth of chipping to do, IOW a heavy duty trailer
mounted jobbie....then take your time find something off of craigslist or
nickle ads locally for future use.

As far as home-owner grade...definately pass on anything that uses a
verticle shaft lawnmower type motor or you'll be sorry...

As a point of refrence, mine is a "bearcat"....it's pto drive that attaches
to the 3point hitch on my tractor which has 23hp @ at 540...it is not a
"planer blade" type, rather, it has a disc that's about the size of a 33-1/3
rpm lp record and 3/8 in thick with a single tooth mounted to it....

RPM is increased via Vee belt appears to be 1 to 3 ratio so the main chipper
disc I would estimate runs ~2500 rpm, it is about 12 in diameter and has a
single tooth about 4in long located at about 10 inches along the diameter,
and is guaged to cut at a chipload of about .125 per revolution IIRC so
guessing it's probably processing at ~ 6000 or so sfm.

After that, the chips fall into what is basically a hammer mill, 4 rows of
with 6 flails each on a drum.... there is also a top hopper that you can use
to shove small dry sticks and green shubs and that kind of **** into...goes
directly to the hammermill...there is a screen under the hammermill that the
finished product falls out of....it's made from 1/4in steel and has ~1in
diameter holes drilled in a 1-1/2in grid pattern.

I might be able to get some pictures if your interested in the actual design
details but....

--my main point is that it's still not quite as powerfull as I would
like--IIRC it will run 3in diameter green woody branches at a rate of about
5 ft/ min on a good day but at that size material frequently have to stop
feeding in order to keep the engine from bogging down and possibly
stalling.....

FWIW, I have a fairly large burn pile I'm going to torch probably tomorrow
and pretty sure I haven't used the chipper in at least 5 years.

Oops--it's actually a "mighty mac"...it's probably rated ~4 x 4 in--sorry
but at quick glance I din't see any model numbers.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...hty-mac-sm.jpg

Again, suggest first try the rental unit, ~40 horsepower......get er done
!!!