SteveB

Default Wire rope question

I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters,
but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding wheel
to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the ferrule
that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there is ANY
frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve

Jordan

I think you need some bypass-type cutters, as the jaws of bolt cutters
are rarely able to close enough to cut the last few strands of wire rope
- even if they're sharp. In that way, it's better than a chain, for
anti-theft.
I've seen a simple type of cable cutter, that was a 2-piece thingo you
put on the floor, and hit with a sledge hammer - could cut up to about
an inch rope diameter.
Or, you could maybe just flame-cut it?

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters,
but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

SteveB

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
I think you need some bypass-type cutters, as the jaws of bolt cutters are
rarely able to close enough to cut the last few strands of wire rope - even
if they're sharp. In that way, it's better than a chain, for anti-theft.
I've seen a simple type of cable cutter, that was a 2-piece thingo you put
on the floor, and hit with a sledge hammer - could cut up to about an inch
rope diameter.
Or, you could maybe just flame-cut it?

That wouldn't produce a clean enough end to fit through the ferrule. I want
to put the ferrule on there and clamp it down, rather than just having the
Crosby clamps on there that someone could take off.

Oh, I know, someone could cut the cable, too, but it would be better than a
plain cable with Crosby clamps.

Steve

Proctologically Violated©®

Dremel, w/ cutoff wheel?
Abrasive cut-off saw?
Bolt cutters def'ly won't do it.
Machine shop suppliers sell a very fine non-reinforced 1/32 thick cutoff
wheel for surface grinders, if you are pushed this far. Breaks easily, tho.
Dremel should do it.

I was always suspicious of these ferrules/crimping, etc. on wire rope.
Can't quite believe that this type of connection is as strong as the rope
itself.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"SteveB" wrote in message
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt
cutters, but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding
wheel to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the
ferrule that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there
is ANY frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but
it just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several
strands around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve

R. Zimmerman

I wrap the cable with electrical tape over about two inches then use a sharp
cold chisel on a chunk of one inch plate. One good hammer blow does it.
Your idea of soldering first would likely work better than the tape.
Randy

"SteveB" wrote in message
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters,
but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding wheel
to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the ferrule
that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there is ANY
frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve

Bushy Pete

Wrap some tie wire around the wire rope next to where you intend to cut it.
As if you were repairing your fishing rod! Or if you take your time and
don't let the wire rope get to hot as you cut, some insulation tape will do.
Then attack with the angle grinder and the tie wire or tape will hold the
ends from unravelling.

Hope this helps,
Peter

JR North

Tape the cable 1/4" from the end and cut the cable with a 3" cut-off wheel.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

SteveB wrote:
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters,
but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding wheel
to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the ferrule
that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there is ANY
frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
williamhenry

there arew two types of crimp ferrules , lifting rated which run about 60
apiece and non lifting rated which run about

12 each

I just spent two days making up lifting slings with the expensive ones and
5/16 wire rope 6x19 , a real pita

they work like a charm though

SteveB

"williamhenry" wrote in message
there arew two types of crimp ferrules , lifting rated which run about 60
apiece and non lifting rated which run about

12 each

I just spent two days making up lifting slings with the expensive ones and
5/16 wire rope 6x19 , a real pita

they work like a charm though

Nothing works like good rigging. I ran a 30 ton crane on an offshore
platform for three years. It was always a pleasure to have new slings, or
just those that didn't have crushed wires, baskets, or fish hooks sticking
out.

I was really damn fussy about rigging, and taught my guys how to do it
right. We never dropped anything, and never destroyed any rigging.

We used a lot of 5/8" wire rope slings with socketed eyes.

And, even though making the slings can be a PITA, when they are working and
working right, it is a beautiful thing next to the alternative.

Steve

Bruce Johnstone

Zimmerman is right.
Cold chisel & electrical tape is the way to fly. A sharp chisel against a
heavy plate should leave a nice clean cut.

Bruce

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

ATP*

"SteveB" wrote in message
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway.

You know that there have been some decapitations connected with wire rope
across roads? The cable is hard to see. You might want to sleeve the cable
with some PVC to make it more visible.

I just use a fine tooth hacksaw.

After you have cut the cable, look around on the internet for "
Flemmish Eye". It is a fairly easy way to make a strong eye in a
cable. Essentially you divide the cable into 3 strands and 4 strands
for about three or four inches, and then reform the cable with an eye.
Slip the ferule on the cable first.

Dan

Gunner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:05:22 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters,
but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding wheel
to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the ferrule
that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there is ANY
frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...1/chap12-2.htm

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
SteveB

wrote:

[...]

One step ahead of you. I already did a "poorboy splice", called a "molly
hogan" in your literature. I then put a Crosby clamp on the tail. I want
to put a ferrule on there so that it can't be taken apart with just a
wrench. I know a person with bolt cutters could just cut it, but I just
want to slow down the amateurs.

Steve

SteveB

"ATP*" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway.

You know that there have been some decapitations connected with wire rope
across roads? The cable is hard to see. You might want to sleeve the cable
with some PVC to make it more visible.

My driveway is 1/4 mile inside a gated area. There are only four people who
have access to the area with keys. Anyone else inside that perimeter is
there without permission. Perhaps they should read the musings of Darwin.

BTW, I have a 12x14 fluorescent sign, and four reflectors hanging on the
cable.

Steve, who has no sympathy for trespassers or thieves.

michael

ATP* wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway.

You know that there have been some decapitations connected with wire rope
across roads? The cable is hard to see. You might want to sleeve the cable
with some PVC to make it more visible.

A very good friend of mine lost his son to one of those cables. He was
IIRC, 14 years old. He helped me in the shop sometimes. He had IT. Would
have been a very good machinist. Make sure the cable is VERY visible, or
consider a gate.

Gunner wrote:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...1/chap12-2.htm

What a great resource! Thanks. Gunner.

Max ben-Aaron

Brian Lawson

Hey Steve,

I see others have already suggested the method we used for 35 years on
cable and air-cord up to 1/4". Pick the desired cut point, run a
continuous VERY TIGHT wind of GOOD black electrical tape (3M 33 is
good) over it and for an inch either side (total 2 inch long about 3
to 4 thicknesses of tape). You should be able to "see" the lays of
the strands "through" the tape if you got it tight enough. Then, on
the standing part (that is the part that will be used) wrap another
tape-width wind or two of the tape about 1/4" clear of the first tape,
to serve as a "secondary" seizing for later.
A good pair of 10" diagonals, or a cable cutter, or even a cold chisel
and steel plate as last resort, and then CUT THROUGH THE TAPE AND ALL,
with just ONE squeeze or blow.
I think that the others who wrote may have meant that, but it was NOT
stated. Cutting "outside" the taped area, or any "nibbling" the cut,
will leave a messy end.
When you remove the scrap tape to shove the end through the ferrule
the first time, the second tape you applied will help hold the wire
"round" while you do so, and if you shove it through and then re-tape
it lightly as it goes, it will continue to stay "round" and you'll be
ready to shove it back through again.

Good luck. Heed the warning about the DANGER you are presenting to
people with the cable gate/fence.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
wrote:

I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters,
but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding wheel
to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the ferrule
that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there is ANY
frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve

Gunner

On 27 Sep 2005 09:16:38 -0700, wrote:

Gunner wrote:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...1/chap12-2.htm

What a great resource! Thanks. Gunner.

Max ben-Aaron

My pleasure

SteveB wrote:
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters,
but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding wheel
to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the ferrule
that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there is ANY
frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve

I cut it with a gas welding torch,not a burning torch.Use a small hot
flame and melt your way through it.With a bit of practice you get a
nice tidy end with the strands all welded together.
regards,Mark.

Chuck Sherwood

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

I have cut wire rope with a dremel tool using a cutoff disk. Works great.

Boris Beizer

"SteveB" wrote in message

Am I missing something?

Yes. A pair of wire rope cutters. As said in another post, these are
bypass type cutters. Any good marine store or marine supplier on the net
(e.g., West Marine) has these for sale. 1/4" wire rope is about the limit.

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding
wheel to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the
ferrule that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there
is ANY frayed wires, it won't go through.

No need for solder. Ever. Just the right cutters.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net

woodworker88

I have had this problem with cable as small as 1/8" and smaller. I do
a lot of crimping on small size wire rope and have the crimper that
looks like a bolt cutter with notches in the jaws. The hardware store
has two sizes, one goes through 1/8" and the other goes up to 1/4" I
have the small size, and both of them have a special cutter built into
the crimper. It looks like a hook and a flat jaw that shears the
strands while supporting them with 1/8" thick steel. I have used
diagonal wire cutters, tin snips, even hacksaw blades but they always
screw everything up. The cutter is the only way to do it that I have
found.

Glenn Ashmore

I have been cutting a lot of it lately. Seriously expensive 316 ($3/foot)
stainless that has to fit into outrageously expensive ($35-$50 each)
Norseman fittings. It has to be a clean cut or it will not fit and I only
have about 2" of tolerance to work with.

I wrap 3 or 4 turns of regular masking tape over the cut area and use a fine
tooth hack saw. Simple, works great and you probably already have the
tools.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"SteveB" wrote in message
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt
cutters, but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding
wheel to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the
ferrule that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there
is ANY frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but
it just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several
strands around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve

Rob Skinner

wrote:

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Hi Steve,
For modestly sized wire rope, wrap it up tightly with electrical tape.
Then get a sharp chisel and a BFH. The chisel will cut through
cleanly and the tape will hold the individual strands.

Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
www.rustyiron.com
Peter Wiley

In article lVn_e.28426$hp.25696@lakeread08, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

I have been cutting a lot of it lately. Seriously expensive 316 ($3/foot)
stainless that has to fit into outrageously expensive ($35-$50 each)
Norseman fittings. It has to be a clean cut or it will not fit and I only
have about 2" of tolerance to work with.

Well, Glen, if you'd used galvanised wire instead of s/steel, you'd
have gotten a better structural material at a fraction of the cost. Yes
I know, it's not 'yachty' and it's not all nice and shiny, but it *is*
better wire, structurally. And this is r.c.m, not r.b.b.

I wrap 3 or 4 turns of regular masking tape over the cut area and use a fine
tooth hack saw. Simple, works great and you probably already have the
tools.

I use a set of parrot beak cutters for small diameters, or a hydraulic
cutter for big diameters.

PDW