Glenn Ashmore

I have been cutting a lot of it lately. Seriously expensive 316 ($3/foot)
stainless that has to fit into outrageously expensive ($35-$50 each)
Norseman fittings. It has to be a clean cut or it will not fit and I only
have about 2" of tolerance to work with.

I wrap 3 or 4 turns of regular masking tape over the cut area and use a fine
tooth hack saw. Simple, works great and you probably already have the
tools.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"SteveB" wrote in message
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.

On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt
cutters, but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding
wheel to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the
ferrule that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there
is ANY frayed wires, it won't go through.

Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but
it just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several
strands around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".

Suggestions?

Steve