SteveB

"williamhenry" wrote in message
there arew two types of crimp ferrules , lifting rated which run about 60
apiece and non lifting rated which run about

12 each

I just spent two days making up lifting slings with the expensive ones and
5/16 wire rope 6x19 , a real pita

they work like a charm though

Nothing works like good rigging. I ran a 30 ton crane on an offshore
platform for three years. It was always a pleasure to have new slings, or
just those that didn't have crushed wires, baskets, or fish hooks sticking
out.

I was really damn fussy about rigging, and taught my guys how to do it
right. We never dropped anything, and never destroyed any rigging.

We used a lot of 5/8" wire rope slings with socketed eyes.

And, even though making the slings can be a PITA, when they are working and
working right, it is a beautiful thing next to the alternative.

Steve