Window film to block sun heat

Old July 31st 09, 09:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window film to block sun heat

My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Old July 31st 09, 12:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 4:26*am, "John61" wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Any place that does auto window tinting should be able to sell you
some. You may want to consider having them do it. If done wrong it
bubbles and looks really ugly. We had all of the windows in our house
done by one of the local firms 10 years ago and they all still look
good. Be careful what you wash the windows with because some cleaners
are not good for tinted windows and will weaken the adhesive.
Old July 31st 09, 12:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"John61" wrote in message

My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat

in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass.

It is not clear why you prefer tinted glass to:
-- exterior shade, as by an awning;
-- interior shielding: we fitted Venetian blinds to all
windows facing south.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old July 31st 09, 01:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 3:26*am, "John61" wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

If they are dual pane you will void many companies warrantys, the
interior pane heats faster and can crack in certain situations like
when the sun comes up when its real cold out and the panes expand
unevenly. I cracked a few. Research it first or better yet have a
local glass co do it that guarntees their work.
Old July 31st 09, 02:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 8:52*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Any place that does auto window tinting should be able to sell you
some. *You may want to consider having them do it. *If done wrong it
bubbles and looks really ugly.

That bubbling is caused by the morons not removing the backing on the
window tint plastic.

Many films, and pretty much all of the professional film, does not
have a backing. The bubbles are trapped air. The instructions will
specify how to minimize bubbles and what to do when you can't slide
them out to the edge.

Old July 31st 09, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

John61 wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Hi,
Those films known to damage the glass(cracking) from heat build up.
It happened to our window. S/W facing double pane window suffered damage
and window company wouldn't honor warranty finding out film was
used. Single pane windows are OK. Since we upgraded to low E Argon
filled double pane windows. Single panes on my sun room still has films
w/o any problem.
Old July 31st 09, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
John61 wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat
in the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight
to cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that
can block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But
there are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need
some advice on this.

Thanks.

There are some spray on windows tints. Check the paint store or auto paint
store.

In reference to your previous post: "That bubbling is caused by the morons
not removing the backing on the
window tint plastic."

Some morons might forget to take the cap off the can before spraying.

Old July 31st 09, 03:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
JimmyDahGeek wrote:
On Jul 31, 4:26 am, "John61" wrote:
[...]

I have never seen a backing on those plastic films. The bubbles are due
to trapped air.

Window film to cut down on heat Adrian UK diy 12 July 3rd 09 12:03 AM
Window Film Tiziano Home Ownership 1 June 23rd 09 02:38 PM
anti-heat window film meirman Home Repair 12 July 15th 05 04:24 PM
Window Film Richard Martin Home Ownership 0 March 22nd 04 02:40 PM
installing heat reflective window film? davekap Home Repair 1 July 21st 03 01:43 AM