Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Window film to block sun heat

"John61" wrote in message
news:WUxcm.38945$PH1.36471@edtnps82...
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat
in the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight
to cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Some thoughts from my own experiences:

Putting up reflective foil will increase bird strikes tremendously, and some
of them will be big. Foil will change the view, but not a lot. Foil is
permanent, and you can't put it up and down at will.

I built a 33' x 13.5' steel awning to shade my windows, and it is
inadequate. I am going to build some steel/canvas awnings to shade some of
the windows I'm currently using foil in, but know I will end up using both.

I made some squares out of that spongy foil material that I use on smaller
windows in the laundry room, and some of the rooms. Works great, but
doesn't look good. The upside is that it is very easy to put on and take
off, and can be used seasonally when the sun shifts.

I made some larger hanging panels out of the same materials they use for
shade shutters, but it just hangs on the inside. You can see through it
somewhat, and you can put it up and take it down as the day goes on or the
season goes on. Doesn't trap dirt and bugs like exterior panels.

As for the reflective foil, I put some on a house once. It's not brain
surgery, but it takes a bit to learn how to do it right. With the state of
the economy right now, I'd check and see what someone would charge to do it.
Plus, they have access to wider rolls and different stuff than you can get
at the Borg.

Any way you go, it does make a large difference.

Steve