Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Peter@nospam.com is offline

Default Window film to block sun heat

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:47:29 -0700 (PDT), PatM
wrote:

On Jul 31, 4:26*am, "John61" wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

I got some at Lowes a few months ago. It was the reflective type --
like Troopers' Sunglasses. Follow the directions and it goes up
easily and quickly. Be careful with the final trimming.

An interesting experience.... last winter I applied Storm King
Heat Shrink Window Film on the windows. This is the stuff
that you tape the plastic around the window frame and use
a heat gun to shrink it to a pretty clear, invisible film over
the window.

I figured I'd have to take it down during the summer, but
surprise !! The shrink wrap actually is keeping the house
cooler !! Guess the layer of air is keeping heat out of
the house.

There are a lot of windows which I don't use, so I'm
keeping the window plastic on year round. the shrink
wrap stuff stays almost crystal clear.

Even with screens, flies manage to get into the windows but the
plastic stops them.

I had a window with a venetian blind fitted into the casement...
just adjusted the blinds the way I wanted and sealed the window
off with shrink wrap, over the top of the venetian blind. It's been
working really well... can't adjust the blinds, but they were
adjusted well to begin with

fwiw

Peter