Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Window film to block sun heat

John61 wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun
heat in the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after
midnight to cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film
that can block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window
glass. But there are only some small packs of decorative films
available there. Need some advice on this.

Yep, sun's a bitch!

1. Window film IS available and does a very good job. It should be available
at HD in 30-36" widths. Keep looking.

2. Not only is the direct sun a problem, but the reflected heat from
adjacent concrete is also. I got some silverized tarps, 9x12 ft, and rigged
them up as semi-temporary awnings over our patios which lead to sliding
glass doors. By actual measurement, the temperature of the concrete on the
patio dropped to 92° compared to the un-shaded walkway of 113° (ambient air
temp was 101°).

I got the tarps at HF - about $10 each.